Rear suspension woes - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Hangaround

Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul's Road Glide View Post
So I took delivery of my RGC about 6 weeks ago and have put about 1800 miles on it so far. well, this is my first bike with adjustable air shocks and when I left the dealer, I obviously didn't know any better, but they hadn't filled the shock with any air. I found out, b/c my buddy who has a SG, after telling him the ride was rough on the rear and felt like I was bottoming out, he then got his pump and filled it up. Well, since then I have purchased my own pump and monitored to make sure no damage was done from when I rode until i was able to fill up.

My question to you, do you think riding on 0 psi damaged my shocks? The reason I ask is, even though I have filled the shocks with a range from 15 psi to 22 psi trying to find that sweet spot, nothing. I ride two up with the OL most of the time and when she is on and we hit any small insignificant bump, it feels hard. I mean, it feels like we pretty much bottom out and she comes off her seat ever so slightly. Should I take it in and have them replace those shocks? I need some help.

From my dirt bike days. With the air your messing with preload. A bikes shocks have so many inches of travel lets say 5 inches. When my wife sits on the bike her weight drops the shock 1 inch now she still has 4 inches of travel left before bottoming out. She gets off the bike then its my turn. I put my fat ass on it and the suspension drops 4 inches leaving me only 1 inch of suspension left. ( bumpy ride) So i need to increase the preload. I pump up the shocks to raise me back up to 4 inches of travel. On most shocks they have the spring that you compress more to raise you up. These are just made up numbers and there is more to it when you start talking about damping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Since purchasing my 2011 Road Glide Custom I have suffered with this rear shock problem. I have purchased the pump and carry it with me. I have tried all pressures from 6 to 48 psi. I can hit the smallest of bumps and feel it hard and sharp. I have taken baby girl on the back and she complains to the point I want to burn the bike at the side of the road. I have taken it to the dealer only to be told they can't find a problem and suggested i purchase an after market rear shock system. They even show me their personal bikes with after market shocks, so I ask why can't HD provide class A shocks for the damn bike since I paid oodles of cash for my bike. When I let air out of my shock valve, my fingers get oil from the stem. So I am guessing that the shock is a two part type with a sealed oil piston and an air chamber. Well it seems to me that the oil seal is leaking into the air chamber. That has got to be a problem.

I am soon taking her back to the dealer where I will demand they repair or replace shocks and not to give me my bike back until they do so. I am tired of this issue and it has injured my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Life Member

Correct tire pressure an shocks@15-25psi have done us fine, use't to say "you break your butt in not the seat". Rack & trail.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate5150 View Post

When I let air out of my shock valve, my fingers get oil from the stem. So I am guessing that the shock is a two part type with a sealed oil piston and an air chamber. Well it seems to me that the oil seal is leaking into the air chamber. That has got to be a problem. .
I may be wrong but, I believe I read somewhere you should initially add air before letting any out to avoid oil from coming back out the valve.

Just my .02 cents. or (maybe a penny)

Im still searching myself for a better shock
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Hangaround

I am very meticulous on checking my tire pressure and keeping my air shock at 40 (2013 RGU ). I am 6'2" tall weigh 185 and with a fully loaded bike have a very very very comfortable ride. Something must be wrong cause a fltr is a great ride. You didn't mention whether your bike was lowered or not, or what you were running in your tire pressure.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Hangaround

Sad to say... but you just have to scrap the factory air shocks and get some coil shocks like Progressive 940/944 or 440/444. Or if the funds are sufficient... Ohlins. I played with the air shocks way too long and finally put on some 440's and couldn't be any more satisfied (well maybe a little more with Ohlins). If you can do it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate5150 View Post
so I ask why can't HD provide class A shocks for the damn bike since I paid oodles of cash for my bike.

I am soon taking her back to the dealer where I will demand they repair or replace shocks and not to give me my bike back until they do so. I am tired of this issue and it has injured my back.
let us know how that works out for you. sounds to me like your shocks are working the way they are supposed to, but you have unrealistic expectations of your stock shocks. and by the way, you didn't spend 'oodles of money' on your bike, that would be the cvo models, and they do have upgraded shocks.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbalt View Post
Ohlins prices are steep, but I think its more like 500, 800, and 1400. I bought the 3-3's and they were 800 delivered.

Get them from Howard @ motorcycle metal. The lower pricing is if you belong to that other Harley forum..........

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

They are great shocks. I am debating putting the RG air shocks on my wife's 1200.

Stick them on there, a big improvement over the stock sporty shocks. I put a set of touring shocks on an 01 sporty we had at the time.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Default terrycable

I went with the Terrycable shocks and tried there long travel and wanted it lower and traded for the lowered style within the 90 day money back guarantee at no cost and he even put different then stock spring in them to set it to the sweet ride both single and double up riding very happy and there American made and fully rebuildable and if within 90 days you don't like them return them and get your money or other style free and check his site and get them installed and cheaper at a bike show by terry himself. Mine at the show were like $500
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Hangaround

50 psi is a must for 2 up with luggage, on a friends advice I put 35 in with 2 up fully loaded and went cross country . the front wheel felt like it was not firmly on the road, it was unbearable at low speeds. look at the owners manual and listen to what it says loading weight limits and air shock pressure . when I got back I put it at 50 psi for another trip and it was much better handling. take pump with you on trips because mine leaks a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.