ready for a pipe but unsure!!! - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Roadglide.org Site Sponsors Forums > Dragos BikeWorks

Dragos BikeWorks Dragosbikeworks is an engine expert, give him a call with all your engine questions. www.dragosbikeworks.com

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM

im pretty set on the download now. i dont want to have to get a tuner and then a dyno. i ran a download and Theader on my 96 and it was fine. plus download is cheaper, if i cant run a dracula with a download then it doesnt make sense to buy one. witch kinda sucks because every talks so highly of the pipe. out here no many know of it. and it would of been nice to have something different.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Life Member

Its up to you but you dont necessarily need a dyno tune just because you buy a tuner. Many on this site bought power visions or other tuners that automatically maximize your set up as you ride. The cheaper route that I went with is telling Fuel Moto what mods I have and getting them to custom map a power commander 5 for that combo. If I change parts they send a new map for free. 315 shipped. With that and a Dragula you would crush somebody with a theader and download. How much is the dealer charging you for downloads?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Grey beard

if you go the download route,it's gonna run about the same whether you use the dragula or the T-header.

The problem is,the ratio required for the converter to work is far too lean for an air cooled engine.Anytime you use EPA settings around stoichmetric (14.7:1) you are running too lean for cooling on an air-cooled engine.The moco,as a Vehicle manufacturer,is restricted to smog guidelines passed by politicians with little to no knowledge of vehicles.

by staying with overly lean fuel ratios,you'll be running the engine too hot,it'll work for awhile,but will eventually wear prematurely,and will lack power.

Last edited by danglide; 01-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Prospect

not to be rude brother but if you just bought a new 13 model I think you may be confused a bit , no matter what you do with exhaust your gonna want and need a tuner just go with a tmax or the new pcv and the dragula they will be easy for you to manage your own stuff and don't have to mess with the dealer and you will also be right at the price for your t-header but you will have exhaust and tuner and air kit , just hang in there and save 1300 $ and do it right first time but its yours do what u wanna do brother

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Life Member

OMMC, you're stuck in a rut and aren't listening to what everybody is saying to you. We are here to help, we are trying to save you some $$$$ and have you a better running bike all in one. Please give Frank a call, he's an expert and can explain to you in laymens terms what we are all trying to tell you. You'll be the envy of your crowd instead of just another bike......
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

I don't want to run a tuner tho.. and frank said his bike is made to run with a tuner
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuchMMC View Post
I don't want to run a tuner tho.. and frank said his bike is made to run with a tuner
What do you have against a tuner? If you run a download from HD you are still not going to have a good AFR.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM

My thing is with a tuner the cost is higher and having to dyno if I make changes.. I'd jus rather throw somethjng one depending on pipe and intake then jus put download and call it done...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuchMMC View Post
My thing is with a tuner the cost is higher and having to dyno if I make changes.. I'd jus rather throw somethjng one depending on pipe and intake then jus put download and call it done...
If you're set on what you want to do, then why start a thread asking for advice?

The download isn't going to do a damn thing to take advantage of an intake or free flowing exhaust, you are just pissing money away. If you can't afford to do it the right way then save some more and wait until you can.

You set on a download and buying a 2-1 on the market known for it's quality control issues, your money man do what you want, but to ask for advice and argue it is senseless, especially when you're not grasping the fact that a dealer download won't do anything for you.

You could save some money and get a PCV with a map from someone like frank and his pipe, or do the same with a number of other vendors. A download from the dealer is NOT the same as a map on a tuner from someone which will make a nice improvement over stock, but neither will be as good as a tune by a reputable tuner either.

Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Life Member

Either go with the crowd and run an over priced under performing Thunder header,.. or run in front of the crowd with a Dragula, and let them know whay they are missing.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.