Changing exhaust gaskets - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Life Member

I have seen many headpipes changed. Every time the original gaskets were re-used with no problems. But all were on new or low mileage bikes.
2010 FLTRX Scarlet Red. Andrews 48h cams.Crane lifters.SE adj push rods. SE intake with PC/5. 2-1-2 Headpipe(no cat)w/Rinehart's. Chrome Front End w/1" Lowering Kit. HD Thunderstar Wheels. Cee Baileys TRSSC 15" Dome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Another stupid question....

How do you know if you have an exhaust leak?

Just changed my header andi don't think i can hear any leaks.....would it be pretty evident if i had one?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM

You will hear a spitting or hissing sound around the offending area. If it's real bad you could put your hand close to the area and feel it blowing.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Life Member

I've noticed the SE gaskets are different than OE. SEs are flat and OEs are thick and crush down when tightening the header. The SE are cheaper too. Would there be any reason to use one over the other??
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSW1283 View Post
I've noticed the SE gaskets are different than OE. SEs are flat and OEs are thick and crush down when tightening the header. The SE are cheaper too. Would there be any reason to use one over the other??
I use the SE gasket with exhausts that have a solid flange. Use the tapered with the tapered/rolled flange like the stock head pipes have. Newer bikes especially, would be a bad fit for the SE flat style as there's nothing for them to seal against.

I'm using 2 flats per port with a Fuel Moto X pipe. They say to use the stock tapered type, but I found that to be too funky a fit for my type A personality... I was actually surprised they say to use the stock gaskets since their flanges are .010" smaller than the exhaust port, they dont' sit in the taper, but rather up against it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
I use the SE gasket with exhausts that have a solid flange. Use the tapered with the tapered/rolled flange like the stock head pipes have. Newer bikes especially, would be a bad fit for the SE flat style as there's nothing for them to seal against.

I'm using 2 flats per port with a Fuel Moto X pipe. They say to use the stock tapered type, but I found that to be too funky a fit for my type A personality... I was actually surprised they say to use the stock gaskets since their flanges are .010" smaller than the exhaust port, they dont' sit in the taper, but rather up against it.
I ended up using the SE when I put the Dragula on. Not sure if it was the right kind to use, but I don't hear any leak either.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSW1283 View Post
I ended up using the SE when I put the Dragula on. Not sure if it was the right kind to use, but I don't hear any leak either.
What does Dragos say? If it's not leaking and you've got a few threads showing with the nuts cranked down it's probably AOK. In the past it was pretty safe bet that if you had aftermarket pipes you needed the flat gasket... But I think that's changed a bit over the years.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Stupid question I know but I will ask anyway.
Changing my headpipe to decatted headpipe, do I need to change gaskets? Not being cheap or lazy, just impatient. I want to do it today, dealer closed and not close by.
Thanks
I'm sure you've already installed your head pipes but if it helps, I changed my pipes on my Softail 4 times and once on my RG and never bought new gaskets. I always made sure the old ones were in good shape though. Have never had an exhaust leak.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Grey beard

I spose you could always use new gaskets just to be sure,but,I'm still on the originals on my 02,and it has 96,000 miles,second pipe,though it's been off a few times.I do get an occasional pop,so it's time for new ones,might be suckin air.

on my new bike,I'm on the second re-use.decatted the stock pipe and put it back on,then put on my header,same gaskets,no leaks.