no power to radio after pulling tour pak - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Default no power to radio after pulling tour pak

2003:

I pulled the tour pak, and also installed a new battery. I'm not getting power to the radio. I checked the fuse in the fuse box and it's good. The connection at the post seems fine; I also have a GPS and MP3 player hooked up at the battery and they have power. What do I check next? Does the radio itself have a reset or other fuse? Can the antenna have touched something to cause a short somewhere? I didn't think it was "hot".

I also need to find a way to hide the rear speaker wires and radio and cb antenna.

- Katy, TX -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Life Member

Are you sure you checked the right fuse(s) and how did you check them? A visual inspection is not always a good indicator. Best to use either a DVOM or at minimum use a test light to verify power. I believe your model will have 2 radio fuses. One for the radio power and one for the radio memory. If both of those are good maybe you loosened up connection somewhere while replacing the battery.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM

My fuse inspection was just to pull it and examine. I'll swap it out with one that I know is good, just to make sure. I'll also look for a memory fuse in the box to see if I checked the correct one or both. I have reconnected the leads going to the battery, and the other items hooked up are fine, so I don't think it's a loose connection. I inspected the wires for cracking and didn't find anything unusual, but if there's no other areas to check, I'll return to the wires and start testing them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Katy, TX -
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Life Member

Not being funny but did you try the on and off button on the radio it self. ? If yes retrack your recent steps slowly.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Prospect

Be sure to check all of the fuses, I had my instruments out once before, and the fuse that was out was labeled "Battery Memory" or something to that affect. Never would have thought to check that fuse. Just go through each one and check them.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM

I remember that I did not re-mount the antenna. Is that how the radio is grounded?

- Katy, TX -
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasridr View Post
I remember that I did not re-mount the antenna. Is that how the radio is grounded?
No it is not grounded through the antenna. In the radio base plug pin #11 is the ground and it is a black and green wire. In the fuse block 15 amp fuse in 1G is the radio power the 15amp fuse in 2A is the radio memory.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM

I checked each fuse with a test light. All good. I check the battery connections, where I also have other accessories added, and I don't see any issues.

I read on another forum where the radio has shorted out internally. I think maybe this has happened to me... If you read it, scroll down to #17 for the conclusion. I presume I have to pull the fairing to access the radio to test it.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...ot-work-2.html

- Katy, TX -
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
No it is not grounded through the antenna. In the radio base plug pin #11 is the ground and it is a black and green wire. In the fuse block 15 amp fuse in 1G is the radio power the 15amp fuse in 2A is the radio memory.
It is grounding through the antenna. I confirmed this by touching the antenna end to ground and the radio came on. Maybe this is a secondary ground that has become primary. This Tour Pak was an add-on by the previous owner who had EVERYTHING done at a Harley Dealer. Perhaps the original ground was removed?

In any case, I'm just putting the Tour Pak back on and leaving it alone...

- Katy, TX -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.