Another Audio ????? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Roadglide Audio

Roadglide Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Hangaround

Ok let me see if I got this straight.Speaker wires coming OUT of the stock H/K Head Unit go INTO the input side on the amp. Then the speaker wires coming OUT of the amp connect to the NEW speakers I just installed, CORRECT???

Please Help guys,I'm really audio illeterate.

Last edited by jukebox; 01-05-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Hangaround

Bump for a reply.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Grey beard

sounds like you have it right.wires from the radio go to the input side,and the wire out to the speakers go to the output side.

hook em up and enjoy!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglide View Post
sounds like you have it right.wires from the radio go to the input side,and the wire out to the speakers go to the output side.

hook em up and enjoy!
Thanks for the confirmation on the wiring job. I can't wait to get it hooked up. I don't really want to buy a mounting plate for the amp,I would like to make something else. Got any ideas?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Life Member

please post up and let everyone know what you think of the focals once they're installed
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
Thanks for the confirmation on the wiring job. I can't wait to get it hooked up. I don't really want to buy a mounting plate for the amp,I would like to make something else. Got any ideas?
If you have the RF amp you can use velcro and mount it to the top of your radio.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-donut View Post
please post up and let everyone know what you think of the focals once they're installed
I will let you know how it sounds,I am waititng for my mounting plate to show up. Of course it's been really cold here for TX and since I can't get my garage warm enough to work in,I'll have to wait a bit. But trust me,it's very hard to wait.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
I almost forgot,I have one more questions for all you audio techs out there. Since I don't have money to replace the two rear speakers yet,can I just leave them hooked up to the stock head unit as they are for now? If so should I leave the 2/4 switch on the back of the amp on 2 since I'll only be using 2 channels for now?
This is the only thing I am still not sure about.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Hangaround

Default Help

Bump for some more info.

I go to the local audio installation shop and tell them I need 8' of #10 power wire with a 30amp inline fuse close to one end. I also ask for 4' of black #10 ground wire for the installation of my amp. They come back and hand everything to me for $8 not bad upon first look. I get the speakers and amp all mounted up and start running all the electrical when I start having trouble getting the power wire into the connection on the amp. Upon a closer look,the wire they gave me was #8...... DAMN!!!! so I pull all the wire out and take it back,the installer says theres really not THAT much difference between #8 & #10, I says yeah....until you start trying to put it into a #10 connection on the amp,plus all the other #10 connections I bought to do the job as per the RF Manual. He gave me some #10 speakers wire. He recommended using the gold wire for the Power and the silver for the Ground, This requires hooking both wires to the Battery and running along side of each other the length of the bike from Battery to Amp. Any thoughts on all of this? I would really like to know before I run and hook up and button everything down and then have to pull apart and redo a bunch of stuff.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Life Member

1. the 2 channel button is for the input side, for fade control

if I had an ultra to do an install on I would have a better answer on how to utilize the factory rear speaker wires,

2. there is a quality control issue with the HK head or factory wiring, with the right front side being "phased" or wired wrong, I think most people believe the weakest link to be the head unit, since many have failed, the "fix" for head unit is to check "line voltages" very carefully AND/OR add line level converter PRIOR to operation AND to reduce the OEM VOLTAGE level from factory speaker leads with a line converter, 2 if you are running 4 channel amp.

there is not much support for diy mobile audio, if you break something the first time out, just hope it's nothing major.

your situation: YOU HAD THE RIGHT STUFF, still DO, 10ga speaker wire for power will limit expansion, but might work fine ??!, I used the BOSS 8ga kit first go around, bought it for $8 online, but the actual cable was 10ga, it kinda sounded strained, cheap assed shit, garbage really, the RF install instruction say 10ga minimum, 8ga actual true spec cable, like what you had helps the amp, you'd be better off, MAKING IT FIT

I'd run everything for a few hours with the bike plugged in

so if it fails, it fails with the fairing off

improper wiring intentional or not can cause feedback, ic failure, heat damage, potential HKU failure, etc... factory radio warranty is 12 mo.