Heated Grips Installed--Not Too Difficult - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Hangaround

Default Heated Grips Installed--Not Too Difficult

I just installed HD heated grips on my '13 Custom. The instructions made the job look difficult, but it really wasn't that bad once I stopped following them.

Things the instructions don't tell you:

Remove the fairing
Remove the speedo/tach cluster
The power wires go to the wire harness in the fairing, not the throttle side grip.
The TBW sensor is already wired for heated grips.
The black wire needs to be attached (yes, they left grounding the system out of the instructions).

Things the instructions got wrong (at least for a '13 Road Glide Custom:

The fuse box is on the left side, not the right.
There is nothing to cut from the throttle sensor and therefor there is no need to remove the sensor from the handlebar as instructed.

Now that I know how to do this, it's a pretty easy install. Shoot me a PM if you'd like any other info.

Cheers,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Hangaround

Location: Bend Oregon, Mountains rivers and 300 days of sunshine

Steve
Thanks for your post. I'm new to the forum and not sure how all this works. I'm sooo grateful to all the members who take the time to share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us. I'm on a '13 custum and planning my mod's. I'm adding 9inch 1.5 BR bars and wanted to add heated grips but was fearful of running "more" internal wires. Your post makes the install sound simple, plug & play.
1. Do the HD grips simply plug into the wire harness
2. Did you ground the black wire to the battrery
3. Didnt you have to remove the throttle sensor to run the wires internally
4. What does PM stand for

Thanks, Otis
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Life Member

Otis PM means post message him. You can send him a message they the forum mail server and he will respond.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Hangaround

Location: Bend Oregon, Mountains rivers and 300 days of sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 598Malibu View Post
Otis PM means post message him. You can send him a message they the forum mail server and he will respond.
Thanks. How do I do that?
Got it! Just sent my first PM, Oh-yea

Last edited by otis2013; 01-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue103 View Post
I just installed HD heated grips on my '13 Custom. The instructions made the job look difficult, but it really wasn't that bad once I stopped following them.

Remove the fairing
The power wires go to the wire harness in the fairing, not the throttle side grip.
The black wire needs to be attached (yes, they left grounding the system out of the instructions).

There is nothing to cut from the throttle sensor and therefor there is no need to remove the sensor from the handlebar as instructed.

Now that I know how to do this, it's a pretty easy install. Shoot me a PM if you'd like any other info.

Cheers,

Steve
Thanks for the heads up on that, particularly the fairing removal. I'm getting my new grips this weekend along with the daymakers and progressive monotubes. I'll be doing the install in a few weeks and glad I'll remove the fairing only once.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Remove the fairing

Cheers,

Steve
I was going to send you a PM but decided to do a post instead so others could benefit from it. I'm going to install mine next week and had a few questions. I too read the instructions and have to say they are horrible. I can see how you abandoned them in lieu of working through it.

Did you have to remove the gas tank as stated in the directions?

The directions show the power source for the grips under the seat. How did you figure it out that the power comes from under the fairing?

Did you have to remove the handlebars at all?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is a start.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM

Big Blue, you around???? Starting my project this weekend and was looking for some advice. Please see previous post.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 598Malibu View Post
"PM" stands for "Private Message" not "Post Message".
Quote:

Remove the fairing

Cheers,

Steve
The Factory instruction do seem very complicated. But if you read them completely, you can find what to ignore and what to use.

There is a wiring harness for each side grip heater, but not normally installed. The harnesses for both grip heaters are run inside the handlebar. Air pressure or an electrician's fish tape can be used to thread the wire harness completely through the handlebar on the non-throttle side. But with the Throttle wiring already inside the right handlebar, you will need the fish tape to get the wiring back through the handlebar. A hard solid core wire with a hook on the end could be used in place of the fish tape. You may be able to do this without removing the handlebars, but it is hard job to do.

The Throttle side heated grip just slips in the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and plug in the end of the TPS. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) has the wiring coming out inside the handlebar, but not connected. Besides the wiring for the throttle inside the handlebar, the TPS will have a second black bundle with two wires, (Black and White) covered in sheathing, coming out of the end that goes into the handlebar. These wires will either have black heat shrink tubing over the end of them or will be terminated with a black two-cavity electrical connector. This will attach to the short Wire harness extension [10.5 inches (267 mm) long] (77259-02) that runs inside the handlebar. The only way to plug this and run inside the handlebar is to pull the TPS partially out. (If the black plug is missing, it will need the Heat Shrink cut off and the plug installed.)

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)

Last edited by RoadGlideRider; 03-07-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
I was going to send you a PM but decided to do a post instead so others could benefit from it. I'm going to install mine next week and had a few questions. I too read the instructions and have to say they are horrible. I can see how you abandoned them in lieu of working through it.

Did you have to remove the gas tank as stated in the directions?

The directions show the power source for the grips under the seat. How did you figure it out that the power comes from under the fairing?

Did you have to remove the handlebars at all?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is a start.

Thanks in advance.
I just changed to the Heritage handlebars and changed the grips at the same time.
I got new TPS. The new TPS had the Heated Grip plug installed. The original TPS didn't have the plug.
You should be able to install the harness without removing the handlebars, but it is easier with bars off.
Instruction say to use the Fuse Box. I used the "Switched" power for the cigarette lighter inside the fairing.
So I didn't need to remove the fuel tank. Power listed in the Instruction under the seat appears the Accessory plug.
I'm using that for LED accent lights.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)

Last edited by RoadGlideRider; 03-07-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlideRider View Post
I just changed to the Heritage handlebars and changed the grips at the same time.
I got new TPS. The new TPS had the Heated Grip plug installed. The original TPS didn't have the plug.
You should be able to install the harness without removing the handlebars, but it is easier with bars off.
Instruction say to use the Fuse Box. I used the "Switched" power for the cigarette lighter inside the fairing.
So I didn't need to remove the fuel tank. Power listed in the Instruction under the seat appears the Accessory plug.
I'm using that for LED accent lights.
Thanks RGR. I appreciate the input. A couple more wiring questions. I've been racking my brain trying to figure these instructions out.

1. The wiring harness that runs thru the handlebars where exactly does that get connected to the TPS? Part of the directions say to strip some wiring near the green connector from the TPS harness and use the supplied terminals. When I was looking the other day I pulled the TPS out from the handlebar and didn't see any green connector. Just confused on that one.

2. I'm going to run the wiring from the left side grip internally so I'll have to cut off the fuse holder and resolder it once I get the wires pulled through the handlebars. I plan on running all my wires into the fairing as well. Where exactly did you tap into the cigarette lighter wiring?

Thanks again for the help.