PCV work well with elevation changes?? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > ECM/Fuel Management systems

ECM/Fuel Management systems ECM/Fuel Management systems For Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Grey beard

Check and see if the Xieds are on their list of stuff you can trade in on the trade in program they have now. I[ would scrape up the cash for the power vision if you can. You can run auto tune basic right from the unit using the factory narrow band sensors, or you can add the same wide band O2 sensors some folks use with the PCV.

The PV is a flashed based unit and also has many other slick things it does. You can also hook it up to other Harleys as a DTC reader and clear codes, have done that for friends already after they have worked on their bike and unplugged stuff.

Sounds to me like you would benefit from the use of your O2 sensors, so I would say spring for the PV.

Good luck in your decision.

http://blogs.dynojet.com/index.php/2...now-a-reality/
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdog View Post
I am considering the PCV when i decat my header. I am currently runnin CVO cans with Fullsac 2" power cores, SS ventilator ac, and xieds on my 12 fltrx. I routinely go from 500' elevation to 5000' and back on rides. My question is will the PCV handle the elevation changes very well?
I have SEAC, Fatshotz's, de-cat headpipe, and a PC5 on my RGU since just after my 1k service. In the past 9,000 miles I've traveled from sea level (San Diego) to over multiple passes in the Mt Shasta National Forest and the Sierra National Forest areas of California. I've also been to Mt Lemmon (AZ) numerous times whose business area is at around 7,000 feet.

At no time did I experience a loss of power/performance and this was riding 2-up both with and without luggage.

regards,
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM

And there you go, PCV without auto tune should work.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Hangaround

Thanks guys! I love this forum!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Motorcycle.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Hangaround

Not sure if this thread is still active but I wanted to post my experiences as they may help someone.

I have a PCV installed w/o Auto Tune (aka closed loop, not using O2 sensors). I'm using a canned map Fuel Moto loaded on the device when they sent it to me. My bike is a '12 FLTRX with Monster Rounds, a Fuel Moto headpipe (no cat), and FM intake, and stock everything else.

Last summer I went on a big trip which took my from my hometown of San Diego (sea level) to over a few 10,000' passes. I spent 3 days hiking in Yosemite and was riding around those 3 days at elevations between 7,000 and 10,000. Power seemed fine even up at 10k however you could hear a slight difference in the engine. I didn't have any trouble accelerating up hill fully loaded. Heat was fine (although at 10k it's usually colder anyways). The only thing I noticed was the pipe sound was just a little off and then when I got back down into lower elevations a little bit more exhaust coloration around my tail pipe (which I'm guessing is because the bike wasn't using the fule/air mixture as efficiently at those high altitudes).

I think the PCV without Auto Tune works more than fine when moving between altitudes.

However, since I am a perfectionist and love my bike running like a top in any condition I do plan to install the Auto Tune sometime this winter. Someone in this same situation will have to make the personal choice if the cost is worth it for them. Either way the PCV performs high up, you just might not be running as efficient.

2012 FLTRX Vivid Black 103"
San Diego, CA
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Hangaround

Thanks for your reply Modot66. Want to hear from any and all re: experience with PCV.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Prospect

I absolutely love my PCV. I've tuned it for max economy at less than 3000 rpm and max power from 3000+. So far it has been doing great!!! I did a loop from Ventura, up through Santa Barbara, up through Santa Ynez and Solvang, then back down and got 44.8 MPG. Dyno test with the other goodies on my bike put it up at 100.3hp. The fine tunability is where the value added is.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Default X 2 tdkkart

O2's are for emissions. Ran up MT Evans in 2011 12000 ft with pcv no issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Hangaround

I've been trying this past week to find the article I read a year or two ago but have been unable. So, from memory, ECM adjustment for altitude is performed by the intake mass air flow sensor not the O2 emission sensors.

I'm not a ECM expert so if anyone is an expert and wants to correct my understanding of this issue I will not take offense

rergards,
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Default American Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith View Post
I've been trying this past week to find the article I read a year or two ago but have been unable. So, from memory, ECM adjustment for altitude is performed by the intake mass air flow sensor not the O2 emission sensors.

I'm not a ECM expert so if anyone is an expert and wants to correct my understanding of this issue I will not take offense

rergards,
Check out the 2012 issue where they discuss Harley EFI. Alot of information on sensors and what they do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.