Need help with Georgia trip - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures

Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Need help with Georgia trip

The wife wants to ride our bikes down through Georgia to visit plantations. We'll leave late April from Indy and end up in Jacksonville Beach, FL. I found a few plantations along the way to tour, but I'm not sure about which roads to ride. Anyone have any suggested roads to ride through Georgia? Any other suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator

I'm not trying to promote another forum, but if you go to HD forums and look up the Ga. group, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Jarrell Plantation near Macon, GA is a nice visit. That is run by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and has been pretty much restored.

http://www.gastateparks.org/JarrellPlantation

USA Today did a Plantation Tour article complete with links. Not knowing how or where you want to come down thru Georgia (largest state east of the Mississippi River) I will let you go to the article and choose. Links for various plantations are at the bottom of the page.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/georg...urs-24601.html

Most plantatations are under private ownership here. The big ones are in Southeast Georgia between Savannah and Brunswick. Many were on the barrier islands such as Sapelo Island and Ossabaw Island. Probably one of the best would be the one on Cumberland Island. You catch the ferry at St. Marys Georgia over to Cumberland at about 0800 and then come back at noon or 1700. You leave your bike on the mainland.

Soooo, you could catch the Jarrell Plantation at Macon then take I-16 or HWY 80 (lots of small towns) to Savannah where you can either catch I-95 South or HWY 17 South and go to the Hofwyl Plantation. It is a GA DNR site as well and due to budget cutbacks, keep in mind that GA Parks and Plantation tours on Thursday thru Sunday only.

http://www.gastateparks.org/HofwylBroadfield#directions

Then from Hofwyl, take either 17 or I-95 South to St. Marys and go to Cumberland Island. http://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm Unless you really like to rough it, don't plan on camping out and don't even think about a room at the Greenfield Inn. WAAAAAYYYYYYYY Expensive. Very limited facilities on Cumberland. The wild horses are beautiful, tho. Watch out for the wild hogs. They are not too pretty.

Don't even think about going to Sapelo Island. It is a barrier island plantation, but you have to be sponsored by a resident to go out their on the ferry. The residents are descendants of the original island slaves.

Let me know if I can help you further. Enjoy Georgia. It is a beautiful state from the mountains in the north to the coast in the Southeast.
2013 FLTRU, Jackpot 2/1/2 Stainless Ceramic Coated Head Pipes, Fuelmoto Stage 1 Intake, Power Vision, Jackpot Full Size Ceramic Crossover, MADSTAD 16" Windshield, Motolight Running Lights, Nostalgic Rails, Airhawk R, Hayden Primary Tensioner, V&H Roland Sands Slant Slip-Ons
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Thanks Captain,

I have Callaway, Jarrell, Melon Bluff and Dunham Farms, and Pebble Hill plantations on my list of stops. I'll add Hofwyl Plantation. We'll also do some stuff around Savannah and the islands south of there. We plan to stay in Savannah 2 nights. I didn't realize Savannah is the most haunted city, so we will probably do a ghost tour. Plan to go out to Tybee Island and St. Simons Island.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM

I was stationed in Savannah and Tybee when I was in the USCG. Visit Ft Pulaski when you go to Tybee. It's next to the CG base out there. The Crab Shack is a good place to eat. You will see the signs on the right as you cross onto the Island .

St Simons is nice. Good restaurants in the old town area. Jekyll Island doesn't have much to do. The other barrier islands are impossible to get to. No ferry service except for Sapelo and Cumberland. Sapelo requires you to have a sponsor before you get on the ferry. I wouldn't go there anyway. It's all walking with no facilities at all on the island. Take some OFF with Skin So Soft to keep the no-see-ums (sand gnats) away. They will eat you alive on sunny days. Both ferries are people only.

Savannah is nice but if you are walking, stay on in the river street area, especially at night. Lots of bars. Lots of bike in the Market Square area when the weather is nice. Harley dealership is at I-95 and 205 in case you need work done. Watch riding on River Street (waterfront). It is cobblestone and can be very tricky riding plus there is a railroad track down the middle of the street adding another challenging element.

If you need anything, contact me. I have peeps down there from my CG days.
2013 FLTRU, Jackpot 2/1/2 Stainless Ceramic Coated Head Pipes, Fuelmoto Stage 1 Intake, Power Vision, Jackpot Full Size Ceramic Crossover, MADSTAD 16" Windshield, Motolight Running Lights, Nostalgic Rails, Airhawk R, Hayden Primary Tensioner, V&H Roland Sands Slant Slip-Ons