I love Harley Davidson but... - Page 5 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Hangaround

Default It is a good debate

My take is this. Our area HD shops are owned by one person. One is the new megga mall and the other is unchanged for 60+ years. The new megga mall was built with cash. The business has been handed down generations. They have already paid for the building through years of hard work, hard times, and living within their means.

IMHO, the prices are more a result of pseudo biker types jumping on Harley's.....and, they do not think twice about the price of a tire or maint interval as they have never lifted a wrench in their lives. I woul,d never blame the local shop for making money......with that said, none of my bikes have ever been in a Harley shop.

I for one shop Dennis Kirk for most of my parts as Harley parts vs any other parts place all come from China anyway. Never will I spend 70 bucks on a shirt made in China or wherever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichMRMC View Post
I will say, though, that Las Vegas Harley has the best customer experience I have evet enountered from any company. I forgot to loctite the hanger bolts on my CFRs when I installed them and one came off on a ride from San Diego to Vegas. Not only did they fix it under warranty but they washed the bike, treated my wife and I to drinks and snacks, and hung our gear up while we waited. A week after I got back the service tech called to make sure the repairs held up. A week after that sales manager called for the same thing. If we could get that kinda service all the time the cost would almost be worth it...
It's great to hear about such a good dealership experience. If I could locate a dealer like that within a reasonable distance from Louisville I would give them all the business I could and would be sure everyone I talked to knew about them also.

Louisville Joe
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Now that the Hollywood fueled 'Johnny come lately' HD rider boom has come and gone, and because of the current wretched economy that most people have to deal with, I believe that the dealers who put their customers first will survive and prosper. Those that are still operating like they did during the outlandishly prosperous boom years will die by the sword of poor customer service combined with unrealistically high prices. Most of us are not confined to doing business with the nearest dealer regardless of how they operate. We tend to not mind traveling a fair distace to another dealer that we have a much better consumer relationship with, and then there's always the "independent shop" option. No protests or civil action is warranted or called for. Let your wallet do the talking .... spend your hard earned money where you feel they appreciate your business, get the job done correctly the first time, and charge a reasonable price. These are the guys you want to support so they can stay in business, and they desserve a profit commensurate with their efforts. I'd guess that most of you already do this with most other categories of purchases - why should HD parts, accessories, and service be any different? Treat your bike related purchases like you do others - look for and demand value - which isn't always the same thing as getting the best price. Learn to ignore all the "brotherhood marketing" and "lifestyle BS" that HD spends many millions on each year and you'll make smarter and happier buying decisions. Now, let's ride!

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
.....No protests or civil action is warranted or called for. Let your wallet do the talking .....
In light of the many, many years of a thriving aftermarket, and riders in droves fleeing to indy's and home wrenching, I gotta ask....how's that working out for us?

_________

"Help Put An End to Women's Suffrage!"
Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast1 View Post
In light of the many, many years of a thriving aftermarket, and riders in droves fleeing to indy's and home wrenching, I gotta ask....how's that working out for us?
It's working fine for me. The abusive dealers and one crappy indy don't get a penny of mine as I ride right past their shops. One good dealership and one good indy get all my business. Actually, the bad indy folded his tent about 8 months ago so the free market concept is working.

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Grey beard

Another sound, eloquent characterization - well done. DOOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
Now that the Hollywood fueled 'Johnny come lately' HD rider boom has come and gone, and because of the current wretched economy that most people have to deal with, I believe that the dealers who put their customers first will survive and prosper. Those that are still operating like they did during the outlandishly prosperous boom years will die by the sword of poor customer service combined with unrealistically high prices. Most of us are not confined to doing business with the nearest dealer regardless of how they operate. We tend to not mind traveling a fair distace to another dealer that we have a much better consumer relationship with, and then there's always the "independent shop" option. No protests or civil action is warranted or called for. Let your wallet do the talking .... spend your hard earned money where you feel they appreciate your business, get the job done correctly the first time, and charge a reasonable price. These are the guys you want to support so they can stay in business, and they desserve a profit commensurate with their efforts. I'd guess that most of you already do this with most other categories of purchases - why should HD parts, accessories, and service be any different? Treat your bike related purchases like you do others - look for and demand value - which isn't always the same thing as getting the best price. Learn to ignore all the "brotherhood marketing" and "lifestyle BS" that HD spends many millions on each year and you'll make smarter and happier buying decisions. Now, let's ride!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM

its really pretty simple to save money when buying a new one.call 5 different shops nearest to you and ask them the best out the door price on the particular model you are looking for.all shops can dealer trade and get the exact bike in the color you are looking for within a couple days.some shops have the B.S. set up fee,never pay that.some shops dont even put that fee in there.its also B.S. that all shops have to sell a new one at msrp.when you start working dealers against each other on price,one of them want to sell you a bike more than the others.dont be afraid to hurt their feelings,they dont care about you.the shops these days dont care if youve bought 20 bikes off of them.customer loyalty means nothing anymore.our local dealerships are way over priced on the units setting in their shops.i got this one about 100 miles away.saved almost 3000.00 on a new rgc and they delivered it for free.

i will toot the horn for charlies harley-davidson in huntington,w.v..we was on a week long trip when my softail quit running the first day about 3 hours from home.they stayed late so i could get it towed in after hours.they worked on it first thing in the morning so we could continue on our way.i tried to pay the guy,and they wouldnt let me pay.he just grinned and said enjoy your trip.i gave the mech. 20 bucks for a case of beer and we had a great ride to the smokey mountains.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM

I hate my local harley mall its complete with game room and soda stand,I cant get a friggin set of brake pads for my evo but I can have gormet cookies and coffee while I wait 4 hrs for a front tire.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Location: On the southern shore of Lake Arthur of Moraine State Park. About 40 miles north of Pittsburgh
Default Re: I love Harley Davidson but...

I bought my 2007 Road Glide from a guy in East Liverpool Ohio.
Since I live in western Pennsylvania and he still owed money to HD finance, I figured I would do the deal at a dealer to simplify things. I contacted the dealer in beaver since it was closest to the other guys house. They weren't helpful didn't seem to want to figure anything out for me and said they would call back and never did. I called New Castle Harley and the finance lady took my info down and called back right away with a competitive rate. I told her I probably would refinance right away with my credit union but she didn't care. We met there on a Saturday we did the title and finance. Not only did the finance not cost anything but I got a hundred dollar gift card and a free shirt. Then I asked about getting a state inspection done and she called the service department and scheduled me for two weeks later. As I was about to go the owner popped in and shook my hand, congratulated me on my new to me bike and asked if he could do anything for me. When he found out I had to wait for inspection he said this guy just bought a harley davidson and he wants to ride. He took my bike downstairs and told a service guy to drop what he was doing and inspect my bike immediately. This guy didn't make a dime off of me that day but when I do spend money at a dealer he is the guy that gets my cash.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App