Please help me! - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Prospect

Default Please help me!

I'm talking off my inner fairing to be painted and I got it off, I'm stuck on the piece that houses your tach and speedo. I removed the 4 torx heads on the forks but it seems to be stuck by the ignition switch. What am I missing? And help would be really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Shark of the Month August 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull4ever View Post
I'm talking off my inner fairing to be painted and I got it off, I'm stuck on the piece that houses your tach and speedo. I removed the 4 torx heads on the forks but it seems to be stuck by the ignition switch. What am I missing? And help would be really appreciated!

Did you already remove your ignition switch? And the plate that is under it? After those are removed these two torx on the side of the tach/speedo housing (T-27 I think??) pop them out and the two halves should come apart once those four T-40s are removed from the forks

Last edited by SIC_26; 01-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Shark of the Month August 13

I'm pretty sure there is a detailed thread somewhere that goes through the process step by step.....ill see if I can find it
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Hangaround

Yep, ya have to remove the ignition and all the pieces under it (the last piece will be the flat plate that has text on it indicating ignition switch position). With the key near by, use a small flat screwdriver to push up on the button under the rear left side of ignition. While holding that little button up, press the entire ignition down and back up... it should come right off.

Then at the instrument cluster, the two torx screws (one on tach side, one on speedo side). Then it takes a little tugging but the speedo and tach will pull out as a cluster (if I remember right, There is a plastic tab that holds it together towards the front of the bike). Unplug all the wire harnesses and set it aside, im pretty sure all of those harnesses are different so you can't hook them up wrong when going back together.

One you have these parts off, you should be able to snake the plastics out::

2 torx by speedo/tach
4 torx by forks
ignition and all pieces under it
of course there is a few plastic tabs that help hold things together.

It's late and I'm tired but I think I covered everything.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Prospect

Thank you so much for all your help

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM

There's a plastic tab the hold the speedo encasement together. Be careful or you'll break it. Ask me how I know.
2009 Hot Red Sunglo, 107 build, S&S 551 cams, heads polished and ported, Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, Vance and Hines 4" rounds, REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE ems, Bad Seed bars, J&M amp and rokkers speakers, Sony DSX-S310, progressive 940's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.