I Know It's been asked before (BIG GUYS) - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Seating: seats, backrests

Seating: seats, backrests SEATING: seats, backrests for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Grey beard

Exclamation I Know It's been asked before (BIG GUYS)

OK I have given this long enough, All you Guys 6' 4'' or bigger with 36" inseam and over 240 lbs. and own a villain Daddy Long Leg. What do you think? Same for you guys who have seats made for tall riders. I have a birthday coming up next month and if I can i sure would like too hear from yah. Thanks, Frodoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Just starting to go through that process myself. I just emailed Allen at Mean City last night to discuss possible mods to stock 2011 seat. While most aftermarket seats and mods are designed to seat you lower, I'd like to go an inch or so higher and back. (6'3" and close to 300). I'll follow along on this thread to see what responses you get.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM

I almost meet the size criteria Im 6' 3' -6'4" depending on posture and shoes 210 lbs with a 34'-35" inseam.

I know most riders first think that you need to add to the seat to raise up for more room, that is how HD approaches it with their "Tallboy" seats, but I found Im more comfortable and feel like I have more room being a little lower and I dont like the "riding on top of the bike" feeling that we get from the stock position on a Touring HD. So for me the best set up for comfort was a seat that lowered me and moved me back combined with moving the floorboards forward 1". I went with a C & C Fastback seat that lowers about 1" and moves back about 1.5' and then used the Kuryakyn Floorboard extenders ($ 100.00) to move the boards out 1" and forward 1".. With this set up I have plenty of room and dont use the Hwy pegs all that much. But when I do want to change positions and stretch a little I have pegs set on the Engine Guards that allow me to place the ball of my feet on them and rest my heels on the front of the floorboard.

Pictures in my album that show the seat, floorboards and hwy peg setup
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD

Last edited by Xaran; 01-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM

I agree with Xaran. I'm 6'4" and about 225 with 35" inseam. For the last 13 years on the 2 baggers I've had, I move the seat down and back, move the floorboards forward and all is good.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Custom Seat Moderator

We do work on a lot seats for tall riders and from our experience moving you back in the seat gives you the sensation of going lower and I have found this to be true from playing with different modifications on seats. Normally what I will do if someone says they want to go back but stay stock height I will actually raise the riding position a 1/2" and if they want to be raised an inch I will raise the riding position 1 1/2"s to 2"s plus weight plays a factor in the equation also.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM

well i bought a tallboy for my 08 and i like it .im 6'4" 250 ,34 inseam .i would like to go down a little,but dont want to buy a new seat just for that .cant go back any more the wife kill me .. any thoughts on that ??
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Grey beard

I'm with you size-wise and I haven't done anything to the seat (Mustang touring) but I use a backrest and pegs on the crash bars with adjustable mounts and I'm perfectly fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
well i bought a tallboy for my 08 and i like it .im 6'4" 250 ,34 inseam .i would like to go down a little,but dont want to buy a new seat just for that .cant go back any more the wife kill me .. any thoughts on that ??
There's more than one piece out there that will move the tour pak back. The newer models from HD are adjustable to a point but I don't know when that started.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM

Well for you little guys 6'5'' and 330. If you want the perfect seat go to a custom seat builder and have them fit it to you. Rich's custom seats in Washington is great and he will work on it all day with you to get it right. Good luck. For us big guys more is better. You start taking a bunch of padding off and it can make it a pia. For real.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdY39 View Post
I agree with Xaran. I'm 6'4" and about 225 with 35" inseam. For the last 13 years on the 2 baggers I've had, I move the seat down and back, move the floorboards forward and all is good.

I think what works for any inidividual is as much weight related as height. At almost 300 lbs. my "boys" fell pretty jammed up against the front of the seat where it rises to meet the tank. I also have a good knee and one not so good, so I htink going back and slightly up would work for me.