New Madstad 'Adjustable on the Fly' Brackets!! - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleng1 View Post
My question would be to Matt and Co. will we early adopters of your system get some sort of discount if we'd like to upgrade to these latest improvements?
I too rave about the MadStad every chance I get. Maybe, like with software, we current owners might get "MadStad 1.3" at a discount? Just throwin' it out there...

Also, does the new bracket system allow some sort of quick detach option for the outer shield? Would be nice to be able to remove the shield and cruise locally with just the base plate. Especially an engraved base plate!

Oh yeah...subscribing.
2012 FLTRX, BBP, 13" MadStad, Fuel Moto Pro Billet AC and 4" Dyno Tuned Jackpots, catless header, DinoJet Power Vision, Horizon Helibars, Iron Aces mount, HD Aileron grips, Ward's cooling fans, Mustang Wide Tripper solo, CD Plasma Rods and LED turns...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Here are some pictures made with my iPhone of the new set up. Sorry that the quality is not better.

All I can say is that if you have your windshield dialed in and would never expect to change your configuration then there would be no reason to get the new brackets. If you feel, however, you would like to be able to easily tweak your configuration, would like to adjust it for variable weather and temperature conditions, or dial it in when switching between riding single or two-up, then the new brackets are great.

As Mark explained to me the original Robo Brackets were designed to fit a variety of motorcycles. After listening to feedback from his Road Glide Customers Madstad Engineering decided to evolve and enhance the brackets. Improvements are typical in the lifecycle of any good product.

Obviously, you will have to address pricing, whether a new or existing customer with the folks at Madstad Engineering
Wow! Those look alot easier than the robobrackets.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Life Member

Quote:
So I have a question? I love my Madstad, and have sang its praises to every RG owner I've come across, even talked a few into ordering them. However!! I ordered mine on the recommendations set out by Madstad when ordering over a year and a half ago.

Now it seems a shorter windshield "may" work better (more money) they have new adjustable brackets for faster, easier adjustments which will make it easier to adjust under different conditions or riding situations (more money) a new acrylic base plate, less radio interference (more money) this on top of a very expensive set up in the first place. Not to mention that these improvements make our current Madstad windshields almost impossible to sell at a decent price if we wanted to upgrade.

It would seem Matt has learned a lot from we early Madstad adopters and made some significant improvements with our feedback. In reality, this is a totally different system (new base plate, brackets, and windshield size suggestion) than the one I ordered just a little over a year and a half ago!!

My question would be to Matt and Co. will we early adopters of your system get some sort of discount if we'd like to upgrade to these latest improvements? It seems the price of the system including these changes have remained the same to new buyers??

Not trying to stir up controversy, just wondering??
I would liken this to buying a car. You don't get a new one when they are introduced unless you pony up. Any manufacturer that is expecting to stay in business is constantly trying new versions of their product. The money we paid for our product is being used for R&D of new products or bettering the existing products. Part of what you paid for your Madstad went for packaging and shipping expense. These are a constant. Mark already gives RG.org a discount. Where do you want him to cut expenses to give a larger discount?.

I am satisfied with my Madstad. The decision is mine if I decide to change to the newer style. My soapbox has been put away.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
So I have a question? I love my Madstad, and have sang its praises to every RG owner I've come across, even talked a few into ordering them. However!! I ordered mine on the recommendations set out by Madstad when ordering over a year and a half ago.

Now it seems a shorter windshield "may" work better (more money) they have new adjustable brackets for faster, easier adjustments which will make it easier to adjust under different conditions or riding situations (more money) a new acrylic base plate, less radio interference (more money) this on top of a very expensive set up in the first place. Not to mention that these improvements make our current Madstad windshields almost impossible to sell at a decent price if we wanted to upgrade.

It would seem Matt has learned a lot from we early Madstad adopters and made some significant improvements with our feedback. In reality, this is a totally different system (new base plate, brackets, and windshield size suggestion) than the one I ordered just a little over a year and a half ago!!

My question would be to Matt and Co. will we early adopters of your system get some sort of discount if we'd like to upgrade to these latest improvements? It seems the price of the system including these changes have remained the same to new buyers??

Not trying to stir up controversy, just wondering??
I guess harley should give me a discount on a new rg because I already bought one once before........
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM

No quick release of the windshield and/or the new brackets from the base plate.

All I would say is that if you are an existing customer and think the new brackets would be of value is to give Madstad a call and discuss pricing with Mark. It is interesting to note that many owners of Road Glides have been through multiple windshields and may have spent upwards of $500 to $1,000 trying different manufacturers. All you have to do is look at the dozens of Windshield threads on this forum. For me, spending a bit more money for the flexibility of being able to quickly dial in the comfort on a $20,000.00+ Motorcycle in different riding conditions seems like a no brainer. I suppose it's why those big fancy sport touring bikes like BMW K1600 GTLs, Kawasaki Concours 14s, and Yamaha FJR1300s have electronically adjustable windshields. Having said all the above, I am mindful that everybody's financial situation is different espcially in today's tough economic environment.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststan View Post
I would liken this to buying a car. You don't get a new one when they are introduced unless you pony up. Any manufacturer that is expecting to stay in business is constantly trying new versions of their product. The money we paid for our product is being used for R&D of new products or bettering the existing products. Part of what you paid for your Madstad went for packaging and shipping expense. These are a constant. Mark already gives RG.org a discount. Where do you want him to cut expenses to give a larger discount?.

I am satisfied with my Madstad. The decision is mine if I decide to change to the newer style. My soapbox has been put away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11FLTRX103 View Post
I guess harley should give me a discount on a new rg because I already bought one once before........
I agree with you both to a point, but I can't remember Harley, or a car company, or any product taking their original design and totally redesigning the entire product within a year or two of release. These Madstads are also a very narrow niche product, resale of your year old car or Harley isn't reduced significantly by the introduction of the new model. I can't think Road Glide owners will want to buy my old style Madstad without a SIGNIFICANT price reduction based on the total overhaul of the new Madstad.

Mark himself stated in a recent post that he went to an acrylic base to cure radio interference problems, to me that's a design flaw that should have been dealt with for original buyers?? I know from reading this forum that if the MoCo released something that was a design flaw, this forum would be up in arms and after the MoCo for a cure!!

Anyway, I didn't want to start a flame war, just asked a question. If there's no discount offered, I'm ok with that, but if you don't ask, you stand no chance of any type of rebate.

Last edited by moleng1; 01-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Agree with you. Just need to call and ask.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM

At least give us that have the old style a way to incorporate the adjustable brackets with our fairing mounting plate and windshield. I would be happy to pay a third of the price for those brackets.

..... or sell your current Madstad on Ebay right now before the word get out.
2010 FLTRX Vivid Black With Supertrapp Fatshotz, V & H Dresser Duals, PCV, Big Sucker, SE 255 Cams, 12" Wild 1 Outlawz, MadStad 16", HogTunes Amp/5x7 Fairing Speakers, Mustang Wide Tripper W/Pillion, List Goes On And On
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Grey beard

I was just checking out the website. I may be willing to take the chance since they give you 90 days to try the system. My only concern is they say they have riders from 5'8" to 6'4" who use thier system and I'm only 5'7". I think I might call tomorrow and see what they say. It sounds like they have great customer service.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhyte View Post
I was just checking out the website. I may be willing to take the chance since they give you 90 days to try the system. My only concern is they say they have riders from 5'8" to 6'4" who use thier system and I'm only 5'7". I think I might call tomorrow and see what they say. It sounds like they have great customer service.
I'm 5'7 and I love the windshield. Sure, I would like the new base and brackets to try them out but I certainly don't need them.
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap