Textile or Leather Jackets? - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Clothing

Clothing You can post reviews and suggestions about riding clothing, boots, jackets and pants here.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Prospect

I've always enjoyed my leather clothing. But i'll admit on my Roadglide I just like wearing my jeans and a T-shirt (preferably with a roadglide on it!).
The wife had all textile for a while. We had an interesting test..we were riding a ferry standing at the bow of the ship with our gear on. Her in her textile and me in my leather. It was pretty windy plus the ferry was clipping along.
Test result: My smooth leather clothing allowed me to stand tall without any buffeting. My wife on the other hand was being blown backwards cause her clothing was not smooth and it picked up the wind like a sail. So in that regard leather wins!
Another time I wore my all black leather with all my vents open riding through a provincial park and it was 105F outside. She was in her breathable textile. We got stuck behind all the motorhomes and were baked in the sun.
Test result: Eventually I ended up dropping my bike in a parking lot from heat exhaustion and being stupid. She was very hot too but didn't have to operate a motorcycle.
After that I went to the T-shirt and lots of gatorade! I still wear my leathers in the cool months. Never did like the textile.
That's my spin on things!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Life Member

Cool

This thread is an interesting read.

In my case I use a leather jacket that has armor... Icon Motorhead jacket... and I have a cheap raincoat I put on if it looks like it is going to start to rain. I prefer to sweat than to risk my skin if I go down.

Same goes with the rest of the gear... motorcycle riding boots, good pair of gloves, etc... I like my skin and would like to keep it if possible.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Custom Seat Moderator

I have both but find the textile to be a little more comfortable to ride in myself.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Glider View Post
I have several leather jackets accumulated over the years for riding motorcylces but the one I use the most these days is the Harley FXRG textile jacket. It is by far the best jacket for riding motorcycles I have ever had. I chose it over the leather FXRG due to it's weight. The textile jacket weighs less than the leather version but keeps you plenty warm and has the same protection features as the leather jacket. I would say check out the FXRG first.
Bought FXRG pants and jacket 8 years ago. Gave my dad my leather chaps. Still have a leather jacket.

When riding I wear my CMA colors most of the time. They are on denim cut. My leather vest I wear under the FXRG as a layer.

Zip in liners in the pants and jacket make them 3 season goodness.

Just ruins the badass look when you wear textile. But hey, 49 years old greybeard. Who am I kidding about being badass.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Wooden Nickel

My cold weather gear is an American made insulated leather jacket and chaps. My all around best riding jacket has leather sleeves, with the rest being a heavy denim. It also has a zip out insulated liner with zippered vents and there are armoured pads in the back, the shoulders and elbows that you don't even realize are there.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Prospect

I'm a leatherman myself I've got a denim jacket in the saddle bag for cooler weather
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM

From my opinion it should be a lamb leather jacket with leather pant and leather boots when you want to go out for riding. This is my idea to wear leather cloths from up to down. Leather biker jacket is the one of popular men leather jackets riding. buy all kind of leather cloths to look dashing and fashionable biker person just go to http://www.leatherarena.com/
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Grey beard

WTF!!?? Spammer. Gotta be
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Life Member

Thumbs up

River Road (Buffalo leather) - the best! Can never go wrong with River Road!
'13 Blk RGC crs/abs/sec 103 Stg2 255cam-plus D&D Boss Fatcat SE Super Tuner. Klockwerks 12", Blk 10"Chubby w/Blk Get-A-Grips. Skunked Day Maker. CD GEN2001157Amber/Wht Front & Red Rear Smoke Lens w/Magic Strobe & bits more, Always a WIP
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Life Member

For me, it's leather most of the year. In the summer months, depending on the temps I will either go leather or my textile (which is armored).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.