to wrap or not wrap - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Hangaround

Send a message via Yahoo to MidniteRyder
Default to wrap or not wrap

What are the pros. and cons of pipe wraps and heat shields and can I use both if I only wrap the str8 parts of the header?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Life Member

from what i have read...don't wrap.. causes moisture to be trapped inside ...and thus corrosion

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Grey beard

Yep. What Jimmy said.
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come

Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Life Member

Look on Craigslist for Daytona. There are a few company's advert'ing ceramic coating the inside/outside of your pipes. That is the best way to go. I have had two systems from the manufacturer with ceramic coating (Rush) and they are great for keeping the heat down. The second link I have used for ceramic coating exhaust.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/3536604915.html

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcd/3510376168.html
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Hangaround

Send a message via Yahoo to MidniteRyder
Default ok

will keep that in mind... thanx fellas... just seems the heat would keep moisture at bay.... and the silicon spray stuff... Im just new to this tech and seeking any advantages without spending too much $$$$ after all I got a bike payment now... thanx again....
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM

I wrapped my pipes to help alleviate the heat on my leg. Don't see how moisture would be an issue with that much heat but I don't expect to be able to take the wrap off someday and find nice chrome. Head pipe was burned blue/green anyway and has a weld on the back from removing the cat. The heat shields fit fine without modifications. Hard to describe but the exhaust sounds less "tinney" and a little deeper with the wrap and a little louder without the cat.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Life Member

Did you ever start your car/truck and see moisture coming out of the exhaust then steam. That is what happens when a high temp is cooled rather quickly ie: turning off hot motor. Draws moisture out of the air and creates condensation. If that is captured under the exhaust tape it will cause rust. The tape will not shrink as fast or as much as the metal pipe, leaving a minute gap for moisture. JMO.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike459 View Post
I wrapped my pipes to help alleviate the heat on my leg. Don't see how moisture would be an issue with that much heat but I don't expect to be able to take the wrap off someday and find nice chrome. Head pipe was burned blue/green anyway and has a weld on the back from removing the cat. The heat shields fit fine without modifications. Hard to describe but the exhaust sounds less "tinney" and a little deeper with the wrap and a little louder without the cat.
The wrap will soak up moisture from the surrounding air and hold it. Over time the heating and cooling of the pipes along with the moisture holding of the wrap will cause corrosion. The guys that use wrap on cars generally remove the wrap periodically and repaint the headers. On chrome pipes all that needs to happen is for the moisture to find a small opening in the chrome and it gets to the steel pipe. Most people won't remove the wrap to check and clean the corrosion and their pipes end up rusting.
2011 RGC, 103 engine, custom seat, Dragulas exhaust, Drago's 565 cams, HD Heavy Breather intake, Thunder Max tuner, Heritage style bars, Hawg Wired Six Pack audio system, Mean City Cycles modified seat
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim540 View Post
The wrap will soak up moisture from the surrounding air and hold it. Over time the heating and cooling of the pipes along with the moisture holding of the wrap will cause corrosion. The guys that use wrap on cars generally remove the wrap periodically and repaint the headers. On chrome pipes all that needs to happen is for the moisture to find a small opening in the chrome and it gets to the steel pipe. Most people won't remove the wrap to check and clean the corrosion and their pipes end up rusting.
I had my pipes on my V-ROD wrapped and only problem the wrap becomes real dry and brittle over time but never road in wet weather,I think thats the problem with the car guys wet roads and puddles because I've seen wrapped headers rot out on cars.also bikes are parked inside 99% of the time this may also be a factor with the moisture if your bike/car is outside more moisture?? sorry this isnt helping
2012 FLTRX, rinehart 4" true duels,SE heavy breather-254E cams,16" hill country apes,J&M rocker XT's & rocker 250W amp,sony stereo,progressive 940's & monotubes.Top Shop bags+fender,14" mako,Dakota Digital gauges,
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Hangaround

Some of the aircraft I deal with have exhaust wrap. Aircraft and Motorcycles are two different things, but its enough to know how much I hate it. Get something ceramic coated and call it good.