Shifter shaft lever problems - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DED HD View Post
Its been an on going battle of dealing with a rattling shift levers, and stock ones falling off.
i replaced the shift levers, and they still rattle.
Dealer has tightened the bolt that holds the rear lever on inner primary at all services, and the bolt is tight, but there is a lot of side to side play at the rear lever. So vibration must have worn the shaft lever. Im hoping the shaft itself is ok.
Has anyone else experienced this? What is the fix? Will the inner primary need pulled to replace the lever? Will a new lever fix the problem? Will i need a new shaft?
thanks in advance for anything you can share.
I say this every time I hear about a loose trans lever. Put a washer under the head of the clamping bolt on the rear lever. You can do this on the fronts too. The problem is that the allen head bolts gall and tighten up against the aluminum well before they are able to actually pinch tightly. I use a metric washer that's close size wise or else a cheap lock washer (makes a small diameter washer).

Try that first. Becuase yes you have to pull the inner to replace the lever...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide69 View Post
i found mine loose after SWII got rid of the allen head bolt and got a real bolt that you can put a socket on and cranked it down its been tight ever since!! thats your cheapest option to start with
This works too. But use a damned warsher!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
I say this every time I hear about a loose trans lever. Put a washer under the head of the clamping bolt on the rear lever. You can do this on the fronts too. The problem is that the allen head bolts gall and tighten up against the aluminum well before they are able to actually pinch tightly. I use a metric washer that's close size wise or else a cheap lock washer (makes a small diameter washer).

Did this to mine and I've not had a problem for about 2 years!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Did this to mine and I've not had a problem for about 2 years!
And you probably never will. I've never had to touch the bolt again on every bike I've done this too. Then again, 2 of 3 aren't in my posession anymore. :-)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Wooden Nickel

Mine was doing that on my RK, the shaft was sloppy and all of a sudden the shifter just fell down, still attached to the shaft as the spline went TU and of course I was 800+ miles from home. Shifting was a bitch on the freeway before making it to one dealer. Then I managed to get backi to the hotel and another dealer had to pull the primary to fix it and then he drilled and tapped the shift lever and sent me on my way. I eventually fixed the rest when I got home. Expensive ordeal though. Hope this doesn't happen to yours.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post

Thanks for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Nickel View Post
Mine was doing that on my RK, the shaft was sloppy and all of a sudden the shifter just fell down, still attached to the shaft as the spline went TU and of course I was 800+ miles from home. Shifting was a bitch on the freeway before making it to one dealer. Then I managed to get backi to the hotel and another dealer had to pull the primary to fix it and then he drilled and tapped the shift lever and sent me on my way. I eventually fixed the rest when I got home. Expensive ordeal though. Hope this doesn't happen to yours.
Wooden, what do you mean the spline went TU?
Thank you all for helping me out on this!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Life Member

did have to eventually get one of those do hicky's on my last bike.

pissed me off at the time, "oh great" a $50 per inch part, "yeah"

this time around linkage kept falling off, getting loose, borrowed a can of chain lube at the two wheels in and soaked the bolts, then reassembled on sunday morning, been okay since, about a year

adjusting the heim, you probably already know the abate method, but you span it out until it's just starting to roll on pop, then turn back one and a half threads, so shift are quick, smooth and fast, 90% of the time no clunk into first with redline MTF.

I think the problem may have been chrome jammed in the threads somehow stopping the bolts from doing their job
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Wooden Nickel

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

Wooden, what do you mean the spline went TU?
Thank you all for helping me out on this!
They had to replace the rear spline (Teets Up) from what I understood and something else while the primary was pulled. I don't recall exactly what else it was. I could try to find that work order but it's been years since it happened. Sorry.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Nickel View Post
They had to replace the rear spline (Teets Up) from what I understood and something else while the primary was pulled. I don't recall exactly what else it was. I could try to find that work order but it's been years since it happened. Sorry.
hahaa. TU! got it!
So they had to replace the whole rear spline?im afraid thats what i will be looking at. I bet its spendy too!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Wooden Nickel

Quote:
hahaa. TU! got it!
So they had to replace the whole rear spline?im afraid thats what i will be looking at. I bet its spendy too!
I found my invoices for what they replaced on my RK. Keep in mind this is on a 02 5 speed tranny but it will give you an idea of what parts were used. You could look up the part numbers for your bike to get an idea. I took a couple of good pics of the invoces so if you want to see them, PM me your e-mail and I'll shoot them out to you. Part cost we'rent bad, it was just the labor as usual that is a killer.