Cobra FI2000r or FI2000 Closed Loop - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > ECM/Fuel Management systems

ECM/Fuel Management systems ECM/Fuel Management systems For Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Cobra FI2000r or FI2000 Closed Loop

All--looking for some advice.

I have a 2008 RG, stock except for 4" V&H slip-ons. I had an FI2000 on my previous bike (2005 Suzuki Boulevard) and it worked very well.

I'm not looking to upgrade cams or anything like that in the future, maybe just a better flow AC would about it. I do mostly local cruising but will probably now be doing some more long distance, with the better half on the back.

So my question is, what are the pluses/minuses for going with the regular FI2000r or the closed loop model? I called Cobra, and all they asked was "are you planning on using the O2 sensors?", which I answered yes.

So what say you oh wise tank?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Id check into a Fuel Moto Micro Tuner or a Power Vision instead of the Cobra depending on your budget. Get a device that will tune both timing and fuel as needed . The Cobra devices are fuel only and even if you dont plan on more mods your leaving a lot behind by just adding or removing fuel and calling it a 'tune"
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Default I have the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro

Not to start a huge debate - pros and cons of the Fi2000 PowrPro versus any other tuner - I researched them all at length. I just wanted plug and play. It's as simple as that and only upgrades I made (and plan to make) were V&H Monster Ovals, removed the cat and installed a SE air cleaner. Before I installed the SE AC, I removed the cat and added the slip-ons BUT had a serious flat spot mid-throttle. Drove me nuts. Also, the engine ran hot - not as hot prior to the cat removal but still hot. After I installed the Cobra unit, man what a difference. It took all of 20 minutes to put in, cooler running motor, no flat spot, definitely more power and smoother accel and mileage actually improved. I don't have to worry about any re-map and I have no where to mount a PowerVision. My 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking for any arguments or debate either. Just more curious about with/without O2 sensors. And really not looking to drop $500 on something when I know I'm going to leave the engine as it is.

Thanks again. The search continues.......
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert

The best advice I can give is to use the product you feel most comfortable working with, using the tuner that you can get the best support on for your requirements, and most importantly working within the specific limitations of the product. Do your research, ask plenty of questions. We have specialized in EFI tuning components for the past decade and know the products inside and out (several of which we helped develop) You are welcome to contact us with any questions or for recommendations.

Dynojet Power Vision info is here www.fuelmotousa.com/powervision.htm

The USA's source for EFI Tuning components and exhaust www.fuelmotousa.com www.jackpotmufflers.com
Contact 877-729-4754
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks Jamie. Appreciate it, and will probably take you up on it!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM

i have had cobra power pro for almost a year with no issues.it worked for my budget because it allowed me to do stage 1 one part at a time .just got pipes done and it runs great .other tuners with auto tune will cost you more because they do more.decide what features you need.i have not used other cobra tuner but i know you have to adjust it when you make ac or pipe change.power pro adapts to your mods.

Last edited by guyflh; 01-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.