Fork oil replacement/ leveling gauge - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Fork oil replacement/ leveling gauge

Replacing fork lowers cow bells etc on my 2010 RG. The manual states that replacing fork oil requires using hd part hd 5900b / fork oil level gauge to ensure proper amount of oil is replaced. Has anyone changed oil and how critical is it to follow the hd procedure. Opposed to just filling the old way.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Life Member

I have changed Fork Oil ~ I was not aware there was a guage ~ just used the amount and called it a day on my older bikes...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Yep thats how I've done it in the past. This is the first time I've encountered" the leveling gauge"
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: Somewhere In the Great Norther Part of the Lone Star State

There's 2 amounts the manual calls for and I don't remember what they are at the moment...
One method is for disassembly and one is when all you do is change the fluid
Its not going to matter how exact you get as long as the proximity is close...

You will find that the re-assembly process will be more forgiving if no fluid is in the tubes when installing the fork cap...(for me anyway)
When I install the fork cap I put the cap in a vise with the threaded portion facing up and turn the fork tube upside down allowing the spring to sit upon the cap...then I get a hold of the bottom of the slider which is now on the top and compress the spring internally so the tube will then screw onto the cap threads...Doing it this way if I was to have fluid in the tubes would be a waste and a mess to say the least expecially since I don't own a fork compressor tool...

After I get the tube together I then pour in the amount of fluid the manual calls for when completely dry...
If and when I change the fluid all I do is allow to drain and pump the forks while compressing the front brakes to get as much of the fluid out and re-install the drain plug...
Pour in the amount suggested by the manual on draining...or what I had installed the first time...
Then go and enjoy...

FWIW
If you measure it with this tool you have no idea as to just how many ozs. you really have installed so when it's time to replace the fluid or decide to try a different fluid or weight you then will know that 10ozs. when in and that's pretty close to what came out and be able to duplicate that...You can add a bit to change the characteristics of the front forks or remove a bit to change as well...This allows you to fine tune it to your likes...It will also allow you to keep track and know how much you had and when adding or subtracting you will then know this as well and be able to duplicate again when the time comes

Best of luck
paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks Paul you reinforce my thought process. Since I'll be replacing the lowers it will be a dry fill, therefore how can one Fk up. The manual made me wonder when it states using the leveling tool, is there some mysterious HD munbo jumbo reason.
Lou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.