Road Glide banner

Deer strike at 45mph

9K views 80 replies 67 participants last post by  Radioactive 
#1 ·
At 7am this morning in 35 degree weather I was T-boned by a large deer. I was on my way home from work and fortunately was wearing my heated gear, including outer pants with armour in the knees. I was also wearing my bulletproof vest from work underneath my other layers. I was travelling 45mph when it struck me. I took a hard hit to the ribs and my left knee when she tried to climb on board with me.

I'm not sure how, but in spite of being hit so hard I was forced off the road into the grass, I was able to keep the bike upright and come to a stop gradually about 100 feet or more from where I was hit. I actually made it back onto the road and into a driveway where I came to rest. Maybe it was the old motorman training or maybe just good luck.

The damage to the bike is excessive. The front fairing is damaged and possibly the front forks bent. The driving lights were snapped off up front. The tank is pretty scratched up. The worst damage was to the rear. The tourpak essentially exploded and all the contents, including my duty belt, were scattered down the road behind me. I was dragging what was left of the tourpak behind me. The bags are scratched up as are most of the parts. At first glance I would guess the damage is probably in the range of $7,000 to $10,000 but that is strictly a guess.

The deer went down but upon limping back to my duty belt and getting my gun, she must of decided she didn't want to be dinner tonight. She bolted from the scene.

I had the bike towed in to HD Atlanta and they have already started working on the damage estimate. Progressive is also doing their part. Quite frankly, I would normally be extremely upset, however I am just so amazed and blessed that I walked away from this without more serious injuries. The bike can be fixed or replaced.

See less See more
#80 ·
Looks like your dealer took care of you alright. Good lookin' 13, enjoy the new ride and watch out for deer...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.