Road Glide banner

Yet another black RGC build

107K views 588 replies 64 participants last post by  RichieRich 
#1 ·
Just bought my first Road Glide a week ago, 170 miles on the odometer and now she's torn apart :D:D yet it will be another blacked out RG but that's what I want. Just trying to highlight the chrome "V" of the motor. It will be done solely in my garage and not some high end shop build, but will be don't 100% correctly by me. Without going on and on here a quick list of what's going on.....

Bike - 2012 Road Glide Custom

Parts ordered:
Black Bassani plus P with 4" B1 mufflers
Wrinkle black big sucker
Power vision - fuel moto mapped
FBI low profile dash
Painted ineer fairing
Boom! Fairing speakers
PM grips and matching pegs (highway and passenger)
Head bolt bridge
Wrinkle black top and side tranny cover
Wrinkle black horn cover
Black wrap license plate mount
Tri light brake light
CD LED Tail lights
Alloy Art front turn signals (black)
Piaa head light bulbs
LEDs to do halo mod
Black handlebar levers
Black KW 8" flare
Sinister pissed off head light bezel

Some of the parts going to get gloss black powder coat tomorrow:
Rear light bar
Crash bar
Invisible fairing supports
Floorboard pans
Passenger peg mounts
Horn mount (wrinkle black)
Starter end cover (wrinkle black)
Bag supports/mounts
Rear brake lever
Rear fender strut covers
Brake pad base

Parts still to deside on so I can order:
Black single rotor front end with hidden axle
Contrast cut 21" front wheel
Contrast cut 18" rear wheel
Front fender - stretched FL style
CVO bags and rear fender
Seat
Mirrors

I'll be making my own handle bars so I can get the look I'm after will getting the comfort that I need, just need to make up my mind on a seat so I can get them started

Won't be as nice a some of the bikes on the forum but it will have my own twist on it to make it mine. The building of a bike (wrenching) is just as much fun and riding for me :)

Just before I left the dealer 5/19/2012.....3 miles on the bike, after my test ride

One week and 170 miles later.....I began to start un bolting a few thing

She's a little furth apart now, but figured I'd come in the house before I got killed

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure what you paid for the Boom speakers but a little more could have got you a Hogtunes Rev 70 watt/channel amp and 5x7 speaker kit. I had the Booms and pulled them out.

Gotta love the RGC.

#4 ·
I agree with the gotta love the RGC, so far anyway lol like I said the bikes only got 170 mils on it, but I can only imagine the more I ride it the more I'll fall in love with it!!
As for the booms.......when I bought the bike there was a tiny stractch on the inner fairing so, the dealer was going to order a new one and install it when it came in. Being as they were going to eat the labor on the install any way.......they cut me a killer deal on a painted inner (there cost difference between painted and unpainted) and sold me the booms at there cost for the inconvenience of a return trip. With that said the booms and painted inner (installed) will cost me roughly $500 and in my world it is so very hard to say no to that :D:):D

#6 ·
[/QUOTE]...they cut me a killer deal on a painted inner (there cost difference between painted and unpainted) and sold me the booms at there cost for the inconvenience of a return trip. With that said the booms and painted inner (installed) will cost me roughly $500 and in my world it is so very hard to say no to that :D:):D[/QUOTE]

No arguement here! Recommend some dynomat or something similar while you have the nose off. On my to-do list....

#7 ·
Sweet, nothing better then wrenching on your own bike. And also nothing better then seeing your friends faces, when you tear a brand new bike down and start changing stuff.

#8 ·
Lol....yeah, I got the "what the f$&k you are you doing" comment a few times in the last few days. But it's all good!!I also got the "here we go again" comment when I pulled in at home from the dealer, quickly followed by I didn't even hear you pull in the driveway (finally got her used to cams and thurnderheaders, neighbors, not so much) I greatly enjoy turning a wrench and after all buying a brand new bike is cool and all, for about 5 minutes, then you realize that in buying a brand new bike you also bought a bone stock bike.......and thats not so cool, not so fun. So here I am again tearing $hit apart :)

#9 ·
CD led tail light inserts, PM pegs and grip, air cleaner, black levers and a few other misc parts showed up today.......$hit is just teasing me lol need the bigger items and parts from powder coat to get here so I can get to putting everything together

Current delemia I'm having is choosing wheels, so many options that I like makes it hard to pick.........

#10 · (Edited)
Did the same with mine. you have me beat though, 200 miles on it and had it apart to install all of the "christmas gifts" I bought myself :D
Good Luck with it. Cant wait to see the pics.

I often worried about warranty issues for those like us that prefer to turn the wrench ourselves:confused::confused::confused:

oh well............

#12 ·
Lol yeah...oh well :D to me it's worth all the money I save on labor. If there's a warranty issue I'll find away to get it worked out. The money I save on labor helps me "justify" spending it on other parts. I just wish the misses could have the same outlook on it :rolleyes: but regardless it's hard for me to spend the money to install everything when it's just as easy for me to do and it's a great opportunity to learn every inch of the new bike

#14 ·
Okay, been awhile since any sort of update...... everything is on for the most part, monotubes are on the shelf waiting for my wheels/tires front end and HHI rotor caliper to get here (hoping it all ships this week) just have to go down and pick up my inner fairing and just ordered my front fender. So far, off the top of my head, this is how it's going to stack up front to back......

Sinister head light bezel, painted vivid black
Halo mod with PIAA bulbs
21" chrome slammer 7 front wheel with 120 metzler (matching rotor)
Black single sided American suspension front end with hidden axle
-2" progressive monotubes
Chrome 6-piston HHI caliper
Baddad MO FL 21 front fender
8" black KW windshield
Painted inner fairing, vivid black
Hawg wired amp and front speakers
BOOM! Audio hidden ant
Black chubby outlaw apes with PM grips
Black Arlen Ness micro mirrors
Powder coated crash bar with PM pegs
Power coated invisible fairing support
Black alloy art turn signals, smoked lenses
Black HD heavy breather and black SE EFI cover
Powder coated; floorboard pans, extended shifter, tranny tops and side covers, starter end cover, horn mount and cover, rear light bar, rear strut covers, saddle bag mounts, passenger peg mounts, etc etc etc
FBI low profile dash, vivid black
Danny Gray weekday 2up seat
PM passenger pegs
Black SE timer cover
Bassani black power curve with black 4" mufflers
Fuel moto mapped power vision
Chrome 17" slammer 7 rear wheel with 200mm metzler
CL LED turn signals, smoked lenses
HD tri light bar third brake light upgrade, smoked

I'm sure theres a few things I'm forgetting that don't come right to mind but you get the general idea. Hoping that the few remaining parts I have on order ship this week so I can get everything installed by next weekend, have a 4 day 2,000 miles trip planned for the end of the month and there's still only 170 miles on my bike lol

#15 ·
So today Mr. FedEx shows up at my door and my wheels, front brake setup and front end finally showed up!!! Today is a good day, front fender get picked up from paint tomorrow :D should be a late evening tonight and tomorrow but the "finished" product is insight :D looking forward to finally getting it buttoned up and getting some real miles on the glide.........pictures to come sooooooon

#16 ·
End of the month is fast approaching. I hope more "goodies" show up in plenty of time to complete the project.

#17 ·
I did run in to an issue, a big one....the $550 american suspension front end I bought was shipped as the wrong one, for some reason they shipped me a 1" axle front end, but shipped the correct 25mm wheels and spacers. PISSED to say the least, plus the right side lower has a nick in it and of course it faces out toward the front, to top it off the black brake line I ordered was shipped as a chrome one.........

I'm in a spot where we're leaving for a trip sooner then the correct parts would get here. So the axle will be turned down to 25mm when I get to work tomorrow, so it will "jive" with everything else and be what it's supposed to be. The chrome brake line got the heat shrink treatment to make it black and the nick on the front lower got "touched up" with a sharpe, for the time being. Not the way I wanted to do things but time isn't on my side at this point, well see if this company stands up and fixes what's they've mis-shipped and been damaged.

Lol that's it for my rant......and with that said, I should have it all together tomorrow (fingers crossed) and have some pictures posted

#18 · (Edited)
In advance, sorry for the cell phone quality pictures. I got everything buttoned up (for the most part) and was able to get on it today for a few hundred miles so I could get my painted inner fairing installed.......front fender should be back from the painter beginning of the week, I hope, but for now as it sits

#20 · (Edited)
Thank you! It's been a lot of work and waiting lol not great pictures but you can kinda see the "chrome V" that I was Talking about last week, I can't wait to see yours, should be pretty killer

Since I was down at the dealer for the inner fairing I couldn't resist a "before and half way through" picture lol :)

Before - at 3 miles

Now - 314 miles, about half way "done"

#23 ·
Just picked up my front fender from my painter, looks killer. I decided to just do all vivid black and do away with the factory silver strips that were on the OEM. Tomorrow, wash front wheel and install. Should look great with a fender on it again lol

#26 ·
Thanks guys, I have a shit load of time (and some money lol) into this bike and appreciate the compliments!!

As for the windshield, it an 8" klock werks. I bought it based more or the styling of it than the function (I know, I know) but......surprisingly the windshield has worked great for me. I'm 6'1", my seat is 2" lower than stock and on the freeway at 80+ I have little to no buffering and can hear my stereo loud and clear. I also wear a "novelty" german style helmet. I know some 14"+ windshield my work better but I'm not a fan of the look and I've gotten luck with this one.

#27 ·
Love it, looks great, cant wait to see the fender on although it looks good without it!!

#31 ·
Just got home from running 4 states in 4 days, 2200 miles of ALL weather conditions and I'm happy to say that everything functioned and worked perfectly, yes even the 8" windshield lol :D

Crater lake, OR

Bum fuck Idaho, somewhere lol

Southern CA (serrias in the back)

18 mile mile dirt road in Nevada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.