Road Glide banner

Mean Mug headlight bezel - production model pics

26K views 84 replies 49 participants last post by  Taccone 
#1 ·
Here is the first "production" bezel off the line. I will be testing this one over several weeks to find its breaking point on multiple levels. I am very happy with the way they turned out, although creating them is still not as easy as I'd like,.. still a lot of labor to make a single one of these.

Off the bike

On the bike

From down low, showing how close the "brow" is to the lights

Looking down, showing no overhang or "nose" sticking out from the bike (even though it is decieving, there is nothing sticking out)

From the side

And dark with the lights on

Again, I plan to have testing done in 2-3 weeks then I will be ready to start punching these out. They will be $130, plus shipping and you will have a choice between gloss black or flat black. This is for the 2010 and up model bikes, unless equipped with the 2010 and up headlight assembly. 2009 and older bezel will be available after the first of the year. I may still offer a "DIY" kit at a much cheaper price, but I will talk about that once testing is done and Im ready to start selling these.
There will also more then likely be a couple weeks wait right off the bat, due to each one of these are made by hand one by one and do take a lot of time. Once testing is done I am going to be producing half a dozen or so to stay ahead of the game,. but unsure how fast they will sell.
More info will be posted later, including where to buy it and pictures at night showing any decrease in lighting that may occur.

If you have any other questions, please ask them here and I will answer them asap.

***UPDATE - 10/26/12***

First round of testing went down today,.. high speeds (up to 115MPH), bumpy roads (hit some wash board gravel roads), and the bezel is now sitting in the freezer until tomorrow when I'll do a cold impact test.

So far, its exceeding my expectations and Im excited. Sometime next week Im hoping to do comparison pictures and video of the lights at night to the stock bezel. That way you know exaclty how much,. if any light blockage is happening.

***UPDATE - 11/5/12***

On page 6 are pictures comparing the Mean Mug to the stock bezel light output. In comparison photos there is NO difference, so those of you that had doubts about blocking light can rest assured the mean mug bezel does not block any light output at night. These are on a stock bulb setup.

***UPDATE - 11/12/12***
please refer to newest thread reguarding preorders here
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?p=332328#post332328

See less See more
#41 ·
I still can't understand what people see in the Sinister bezel. It doesn't look mean at all, it just makes the damn bike look cross eyed and goofy. At least Yaffe made his look mean, just not nearly aggressive enough IMO. Chain's is perfect.

#44 ·
Perfect, just perfect. I thought i saw at one point in a post, that they will be for 09 and later. is that still the case? i've got the 05, and that is on the x-mas list.

#45 ·
Yes, they will be available for the 98-09 bikes,.. but not till 2013. My goal right now is around March 1st, but could be a lot sooner as I always give myself plenty of time incase something goes wrong. I know thats a long time,.. but I want them to be right, and fit the bikes correctly based on the year of bike. Sinisters fit is terrible,.. and Yaffes isn't much better. Im trying to create a product that not only looks better, but fits better, and at a cheaper price then both of them as well.
I will give updates on the 09 and older bezels before the end of the year. The 2010 and up will fit your bike,.. but only if you have the 2010 and up inner light housing or have your current one screwed in all the way where there is little to no adjustment in your headlamps. I can post up some pics in the next few weeks of the fitment issues for those of you wondering about the 2009 and older bikes.

#47 ·
I'm pretty sure you can type in the address in the check out. I will be using a paypal checkout,.. because even without a paypal account people can still use their credit cards as well. I can't verify for sure, because when I try to buy my own products it won't let me,.. :D

#51 ·
***UPDATE - 11/5/12***

These I did with my bike pointed at the garage door from 12 feet away. I see no difference between the stock bezel and mean mug bezel in the way of light output. Judge for yourself!!

These are with the stock bulbs.

STOCK Low Beams

Now
Mean Mug Low Beams

And
Stock High Beams

Now
Mean Mug High Beams

#52 ·
I'm ready to order!!

#54 ·
They are officially going to start selling December 1st. However, Im considering doing preorders starting in 2 weeks or so. That will give me a better idea where Im sitting for lead time. They won't start shipping till the 1st, or the 3rd which is the following Monday.

#56 ·
I may have to get one of these after you go into production.

#59 ·
If you pop your headlight bezel (or bubble) out, you can tell them apart.

If you can see 4 screw on each light, you have a 2010 and up. If you dont see anything but the headlights, and a black plastic thing,.. you have an 09 and older.

#60 ·
Forgive me for my ignorance.... I have a 2005 with the clear bubble outside the headlight housing. They sell the newer black OEM bezel on eBay for $30. How would i make the upgrade? Would I just snap out the bubble and press the black bezel over the headlights? Then I would be ready for the Mean Mug when it's released?

Thanks.

#75 ·
I love it, and I want one, only one problem is, I own an 03, which has had alot of work done to it before I bought it, and I am not sure if the previous owner updated the lights to the 2010 style or not. Is there a way I could easily tell? My bike is at the shop right now waiting for paint soon so I would like to pre-order this right away if I could figure out that will work with my current setup

#76 ·
Easiest way to tell, is to pop your current bezel out. Take your bezel off and if you can see 4 screws holding it to the black backing piece you have the new style. If you do not see any screws, just headlights sticking through the black backing piece you have the old style.
Old headlights screwed in from the back (you had to removed your outer fairing to change light bulbs)
New headlights you change from the front and doesnt need to have the fairing taken off to change a bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.