Road Glide banner

LED colored engine lighting - worth it?

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  cobra206 
#1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed but I was unable to find it. Has anyone added colored led engine lights and can you share your experience/satisfaction. I think they are cool looking but I haven't seen any up close and in action.

I saw one from a distance and liked the look. Are they reasonably priced, worth the investment and/or more hassle then they are worth.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

#6 ·
I have a 7 color system from XKGlow.......Reasonably priced & guarranteed.....ONLY thing I don;t like is if you have a pod or strip fail- he'll replace t, but he wants it back first......not that big a deal I guess as you can plug in a jumper & keep the rest working (they all plug into each other...... just have to plan your install well before you begin)......Working on a new computer with no loaded pics.....I'll post some this weekend when I get home..........

#11 ·
I had them on my last scooter and loved the way they looked. The downside is all the wires that are on your bike when you have to work on something. Plus if you don't get a good stick with the 2-sided tape they can start to come off and it looks really bad. If you put a lot of miles on your bike and ride in a lot of rain they may not hold up very well. Just depends on how well they are installed. I'm not doing it to this bike right now but my decide to in the future.

#16 · (Edited)
I added Blue LED strips to mine. I have my motor lit as well as the front and back. I have a strip under the saddlebags that light up all around. I have them on front wheel under the fender. I changed the stock Mag Wheels to the Chrome Spoked wheels. The chrome reflects the blue without the actual LEDs being seen.

Now there are several companies that offer "Kits" that will work. Problem I had with those was the cost of the kits. So I looked around and found LED strips at Walmart. They as 12", 18", and 24" strips. They came two strips per package. The LEDs were sealed and used 3M tape to attach the strips. I installed them over two years ago. They are still tight and show no signs of coming off where I put them. Just clean the area before you attach the strips.

I bought two 24", and four 12" strips packages. I believe I spent under $50 total. So much less than I would have spent for one of those "Kits". One thing that I could not get, unless I bought the kit, was a "Multi Color" LED strips. But I'm happy with the single blue color. If you look around, and can install the LEDs yourself, you can have the Led look you want. Just remember, the more you want, the more you will need to spend.

#18 · (Edited)
I like the looks, especially if you do not see the light itself, only the illumination of the light.

I intend to do white on the RG.

I bought a roll of white LED lights from eBay to make additional puddle lights for my truck (under the running board). They will be hooked up to the courtesy lights.

I should have some left over and hope to put something together for the Shark.

Also just bought a pair of these ghost logo lights. We'll see what happens with these as I do not want to drill holes in my saddlebags...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4129154f&vxp=mtr

#21 ·
I have them and really like them. Mine has a fob that I can run them through the 19 different colors and patterns. They also work as brake lights, they flash for a few seconds when brakes are applied, then stay on till brake is released. Here is a cell phone pic, only one I have at the moment:

#25 ·
It's all personal preference, I did mind so I didn't have any hot spots, I wanted the light to "glow".
Placement is going to depend on color, type, and power of the LEDs u choose to use. As for wiring to the acc switch just have to connect to the port (4 pin Deutsch connector) under ur seat... I wired up a switch using the empty switch port (on fltrx). This way I can turn them on and off regardless of the ignition...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.