Road Glide banner

Lower fairing question

20K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  2010 FLTRX 
#1 ·
I know this has been beaten to death, but my search gave me some conflicting info.

I have a guy with a 2005 flhtcu that I can get his lower fairings for a good price. He says they are vented and came like that new on the bike from Harley. Will they work on my 2010?

#2 ·
Yes they will work. You can use either the vented or non-vented on your 2010 bike. The vented fairing lowers will fit 1983 and later touring models except for the 1998 - 2009 FLTR. The 1998 -2009 FLTR requires the non-vented fairing lowers.

#11 ·
The issue you're talking about with '98-'09 RGs is because the bottom of the (upper) fairing gets in the way of the vented lowers (non-vented fits because they're a bit shorter I guess). In 2010, HD changed the angle of the upper fairing, allowing vented lowers (from any year) to clear the fairing. But that's a separate issue from the top cap extension - lower fairings from bikes older than 2010 will need to be trimmed because of the RG fairing mount.

#4 ·
The top caps may need the inner lip that covers the engine guard slightly trimmed to clear the lower fairing mounts.

On the after market set that I got I had to trim about 1/2 inch off the caps with a hack saw to clear the lower fairing mounts.

#5 ·
If the fairing lowers are HD then they will not need any trimming or modifications. The HD fairing lowers will fit perfect on the bike.

#8 ·
I've just done this mod (this very afternoon in fact). The lowers came of an 08 E-Glide, onto my '12 RG. Approx 1.5 inches had to come off the fairing cap extensions where they cover the engine guard (towards the frame), as the RG has a fairing mount there that the EG doesnt.

dc

#9 ·
Thanks for confirming what I said, if the lowers are from 10 up, they will fit, 09 back, they have to be trimmed, if you go to a local dealer and look, you will see there is a difference. :)

#14 ·
It took a while to find it, but there is a great posting on the cvo forum about this. I am in the process of changing fairing mounts and installing lowers. Here is a pic of the old vs new lowers. The pre '10 is on the left.

View attachment 16947

and the link to the posting:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43537.0
Thats the reason I did not go aftermarket for my fairing lowers....I didn't want to trim and F**K it up and have to end up buying new top caps...I got a great deal on a set and am very happy with the fit and finish of the Genuine H-D lowers :)

#12 ·
I did put the vented fairing lowers on my 08 and I had to change the main fairing bracket that mounts the upper fairing to the frame and the side fairing brackets that mount the upper fairing to the crash bar. I forgot that the early model fairing lowers have the longer crash bar cover then the newer fairing lowers. The newer fairing do not need to be trimed.

#17 ·
Any windshield trim will damage the paint not just the HD trim the Kuryakyn trim will damage the paint as well. The HD windshield trim is the only HD accessory that I have heard of that people have a problem installing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.