Road Glide banner

The most non-mechanical person on earth's build here:

44K views 284 replies 48 participants last post by  SIC_26 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so no laughing... at least not out loud!!

decided I had a pretty boring ride so it was time to spruce it up some.

2010 RGC
Vivid Blk
10k miles

Items installed at the dealer before I picked it up:
- chrome front end
- chrome inner prim
- chrome controls
- SE race tuner
- stage 1 w/ stock 2:1 w/ SE night stick
- SE Heavy breather

Planned for this winter:
- painted inner fairing
- Hawg-wired Six pack + 2 HW zx in lowers
- Sony head unit w/ HW mount & controls
- vented lowers
- Wild 1 outlaw bars (12" blk)
- colored guages from GAUGELEDMODS.COM
- pinstrip over the factory grey graphics (thanks GoneBlack)
- tour pack
- blk out misc parts
- FBI low profile dash
- Custom dynamic lights front and back
- HID head lights
- HD cruise control
- LRS Mako 14" shield

As I mentioned I am probably the most NON mechanical person on the boards, so any tips , tricks or pointers would be much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of questions in the various forums.

---Edit 1/5/13---

I wanted to reflect some changes in my plans, but it’s also pretty interesting to see what my original plans were so I’ve left that in place as a reference. Below is a update as of 1/5/13

- Painted inner fairing - done
- Hawg-wired Six pack - done
- Sony head unit w/ HW mount & controls - done
- Vented lowers w/ HW ZX - done
- Wild 1 outlaw bars - done
- SE Titanium faced gauges - done
- Pinstripe over the factory grey graphics - done
- Tour pack - done
- Blk out parts (Dash, horn, strut covers, derby, docking station, rear light bar) - done
- Custom dynamic lights front and back - done
- HID head lights - done
- Cruise control - done
- LRS Mako 14" shield - done
- Danny Gray seat - changed my mind
- RS AC - done
- RS Grips - done
- PM mirrors - done
- SE Power Duals (blk) - done
- RH 4” slip on’s (blk) - done
- Power Vision from FM - done
- Glove box liners - done
- Bag liners - next year!
- Xtrim - done
- Halo headlight mod - done

----More project creep-- updated 3/29/13

- Black TP hinges - done
- Black TP latches - done
- 8" KW shield - done
- MEAN MUG!!!!! - done
- TP liner - done
- Pink sipie cup (thanks MJsDouble)- done
- Hidden antenna - done

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#1. Repair Manual for your bike model and year.
#2. Good set of tools including deep sockets, Torx bits and screwdrivers, set of hex bits, in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches. In U.S. Harbor Freight probably will be where you can get everything the cheapest
#3. Center stand or a good bike jack. This is where to spend a little more money for better quality. A good wheel dock can be used in pace of a centre stand.
#4. Padded moving blankets 3 or 4.. Don't laugh they have saved my paint from dropped wrenches and screwdrivers. Use one for the fuel tank and another for the front fender when taking off the front outer fairing. You can tuck them into places to protect all paint and chrome parts.
#5. Folding tables. As i dis assemble the bike to do mods I lay out the parts/pieces I take off onto the padded blankets on folding tables. It takes up some space but keeps everything organized. I also use ziplock bags to hold all hardware and tape those to the pieces as they come off or partial re-assemble by putting hardware back in holes.
#6. Follow the directions that come with your mod parts, be patient and do read the instructions before you start.
#7. When you take your outer fairing off, the first thing you should do is take really clear close up pictures of where all your wiring harnesses are routed. Label all connexions, the plugs are shaped but it makes life so much easier when 1 goes into 1, 2 goes into 2 etc.
#8. When you take off your inner fairing group all the wiring together and do the ziplock thing with your gauges and hardware and trim pieces.
#9. Good Luck, it is fun when you get into it.

I am by no means a mechanic but the manual is mandatory along with threads that you can find here. So many members with video how too's that you can't go wrong.

Troy

#4 ·
Fairing off and prepped for the painters. Also waiting on bars to arrive.

Thanks for the great advice Troy. I'm not much of a mechanic but working on computers for a living taught me the baggie with labels trick.

My wife seems to think I'm crazy and has a bet on wither or not I'll get it back together correctly!!! (she knows me pretty well!)

Got an order going in with PCpain tomorrow including a much needed manual.

Attachments

#8 ·
The Dmize Project

Danny Boy... I am proud of you. Attending Shark Week a few times with a very nice bike will make you believe your nice bike can be much nicer. :D

Even though your Brownies beat, or should I say survived against my Steelers I will be more than happy to help you out.

HUTMO

#11 ·
Hmmm..

Vivid Blk RGC : check
Blk apes: check
blk pipes: check
some chrome: check
painted inner fairing: check

BUT, when I'm done "Black Beauty" is going to look like a red headed step child!!!! :cool:

j/k.... don't think I'll be able to match ya, that's one bad looking RGC you got!!!!! :D

#14 ·
Dan, your all in now brother!

See its not so hard after all. You can do anything cosmetic and external to the engine by following good directions in the manual and from advice from fellow tank members here.

The only thing I won't do yet is internal engine changes, cams, cylinders and pistons, primary gear changes and transmission. I leave those to the guys that went to school to do those things. They are much more patient, and know their way around the internal combustion air pump better than I.

Good Luck and take tons of pictures for your own good and of course for the benefit of all us lurking sharks in here.

Troy

#16 ·
Dan, its nothing but fun & money from here. You do one little thing and that leads to another, and another! We wont even recognize you come July.
Good luck on the build, we're looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

#22 ·
Thanks Arkieglide... look forward to seeing you and the wife at SW3.

Remember our escape from a heat stroke at that little gas station... the people in there thought we were nutz!

@Jim ....I agree Jim - though the price from HT for the whole package was only 350.00

#26 · (Edited)
Quick update... parts are arriving.... garage is starting to look like a parts store. wife is getting tired of me having to show her everything!!! even more tired of me asking her opinion ...."hey hon these gauges or this tank dash" LOL.....

parts update:

Items arrived:
- Hawg-wired Six pack + 2 HW zx in lowers
- Sony head unit w/ HW controls
- Sidecar cycles radio mount
- vented lowers w/ 6.5" speaker pods
- PM mirrors
- 4" Rinehearts slip ons
- LRS Mako 14" shield

Items on order
- painted inner fairing : at painter still... next week
- Wild 1 outlaw bars (12" blk)
- new guages...went with the HD graphite series
- FBI low profile dash, went with a black stock dash...
- HD cruise control
- 3 piece X-Trim
- V&H Power Dual
- Roland Sands AC
- Roland Sands grips

Items on hold / undecided:
- pinstrip over the factory grey graphics (thanks GoneBlack): not yet- really undecided what direction..cant decided on how much pin-stripping to have him do or designs to go with. I do have a special graphic paying homage to the SHARK!]
- tour pack: undecided... HD vs aftermarket... Chopped vs King grrrrr
- blk out misc parts: what a PITA nada
- Custom dynamic lights front and back: on hold might go different direction
- HID head lights: getting from a fellow RG.org member

Project scope creep items (WTF budget breakers):
- 4" Rinehearts slip ons
- V&H Power Duals
- Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto
- Roland Sands AC
- Roland Sands grips
- PM mirrors:
- 3 piece X-Trim

Placed a good sized order with PCpain today... his team is an absolute pleasure to deal with.... sure wish they were my local HD shop!

#117 ·
Very nice :)

I see some 6 lug chevy hubcaps sitting on the work bench in that pix too. looks like the ones off of one of my Avalanches.... What else ya got in that garage?:D

I'm just south of you and work out of our Brecksville office. Shoot me a PM sometime if you're gonna need an extra hand with anything. I haven't wrenched on mine much but I'm pretty damn good at modding just about anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.