Road Glide banner

Fosgate media center vs Sony Marine

15K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Papa Dar 
#1 ·
I am adding a RG Fairing to my Road King. I have fabbed the bracket and gor all the parts I need now I am down to the audio portion. I was going to do the Sony m60 head unit my concern is the splash cover.125 through hawg wired seems nuts for what it is. So that took my to the fosgate media center through Paul Yaffe which I would not need a rain cover. Is there many of you using a marine head unit without a splash cover? The problem with the yaffe setup is the crazy markup as you all well know. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
I can't really say one over the other. Good thing about the sony is that it can be replaced for about $150.

Mine sat out all night in the rain, still works but the tuner portion went out.

responded worse to a foamy bike wash than it did to actual rain ? ?

long story short, try and cover up your electronics

the actual PCB got wet, had it all in pieces yesterday drying it out, still the tuner never came back. everything else working.

I'd like to look into buying some spare circuit boards rather than the whole radio.

the splash cover thru Hawgwired may be for an Alpine head unit and a Batwing fairing.

#3 ·
I am concerned about the biketronics kit it seems a little less sturdy. But I guess a lot of people use them. The guy at biketronics said they like a small amount of movement its better for the head unit than such a rigid design such as the hawg wired.

#4 ·
I don't know why? and my HUA moves a little also, just has a big billet bezel.

I used both. not exactly economical. but what I wanted.

the hard mount parts from biketronics are like a $40-50 value.

I used BT harness, taped and greased
and the HUA470 from PC Pain, he had leftover

but you can always make your own if you are starting from scratch

#5 ·
I have the Sony marine radio in my 05 RG and very happy with it. I've been in the rain several times while riding, however I have a cover I put on when stopped. So far no problems in the three years it has been on the bike. I do intend to buy the Hawg Wired cover in the near future, I know it's pricey but their stuff is top quality.

Attachments

#6 ·
I have a friend that bought the Rockford RFX3000 and the remote for a little over $250 i believe off amazon. A local stereo shop made him an abs bezel for it and installed a PAC steering wheel remote kit in for him. He loves it and has alot less than the Yaffe kit. I myself have an Alpine media deck no CD ive had it a couple years several rainy days and zero problems and ive never had any rain guard on it other than the clear plastic on top that comes with the Biketronics kit.

#15 ·
This is the one I use, got it from Sidecar Cycles. The first one I bought from Hawg-Wired but theres doesn't fit the Road Glide, sent it back as it was too big and only fit the batwings.

the one I bought was from sidecar, for road glide

look almost the same - so I thought it was

if that's the case, my bad, I apologize for spreading bad info

sidecar told be the difference was the offset, but it's been a while since I
had that conversation with them

update: okay I check my fitment, I definitely need to modify the backspacing since the selector button sticks up further on sony

I guess I never noticed

my hawg wired cradle is the older model HUA470

#13 ·
pretty sure it fits

you may have to backspace mod your radio cradle or remove the bezel

I have a sony - but it works with alpine, etc

the billet bezel fell off my radio, somewhere between florida and louisiana

when I got home I installed the biketronics plastic face to clean up the gap.

splash cover fits much better without the bezel

since the bezel is a intricate part of the hawg wired system, maybe they don't recommend it

if I replace mine, I will cut it in half according to depth ways and do the backspace mod 3/8"

the further back the splash guard goes the better, had that fall off also,
luckily was going slow and grabbed it

my note would be the media center seems good, way overpriced, I am hoping spring will bring some options when the new electronics come out.

#14 ·
I used the biketronics kit for the Sony so it's already been set back. When I talked to to Hawg-wired they agreed that it was not going to fit & send it back. The one from sidecar cycles is designed for the RG, they also make the cover that Hawg-Wired sells for the batwings. I'll put a picture up of the cover installed on it later.

#17 ·
I have all the parts, this was just something that got pushed back

built all those brackets, then added lids and re-did my mains.

TO GET THE ROAD GLIDE RAINCOVER, you have to go directly to Sidecar Cycles
according to HawgWired... looked like the same part to me, wtf

anyone I told otherwise in passing, I was wrong about the spec

SORRY

better to have egg on your face than a face that looks like an egg.

fyi - the new daisy chain models from hawg wired are supposed to be soon in the coming

a reasonably priced kick ass stereo for the roadglide would be nice.

#22 ·
Pretty sure that fairing that h-donut posted, is an audiowerks custom cycles inner fairing.

They do an exchange for your stock.. $600 for the double din, and $600 core charge. They look great IMO.

#24 ·
They do good work. I like that they use an existing H-D inner fairing to work from. That way you have all the right holes, glove boxes, and mounts. Most times when people mold off and reproduce in fiberglass things don't come out right.

#26 · (Edited)
That block is only used as a template. Line up the template w/the large holes on the side of your hawg wired radio cradle. Drill through the smaller holes through the cradle. Do the same to the other side. I knocked off the nuts affixed to the original holes since they were in the way of me utilizing the new holes I drilled. Using the new holes will the radio to sit back & allow room for the splash guard to fit. It's a tight fit.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.