Road Glide banner

CA weekend ride

45K views 551 replies 31 participants last post by  lundboy1 
#1 · (Edited)
*****DATES: FRIDAY 5/17/2013 - MONDAY 5/20/2013*****
*****IT'S A GO GENTLEMEN*****

Rooms are $85 a night and they have both single king or two queen rooms available. OAKHURST LODGE www.oakhurstlodge.com.....The reservation number is 1-800-655-6343 or 559-683-4417 you will either need to speak with Jules Allen (gerneral manager) or tell them that you are with the RoadGlide.org group......the hotel has 60 rooms and we have 30 reserved for us, half the hotel :)

Tossing around the idea of putting together a Weekend (3 or 4 day) trip for the guys/gals out here in CA in the spring/early summer. If there's enough interest, I don't have a problem doing all the leg work :confused: maybe with the help of cough, cough.........RichieRich.......cough, cough. That's right buddy, I just volunteered you :p

Obvious it's aways away, so there really are no details of yet, just ideas........ Timing would be dependent on the winter we have. Depending on who's going and where the bulk is coming from, it could be a Friday-Monday deal which would leave 2 full days to ride plus the 1 day to travel there, 1 day to travel back

First thing that comes to mind is staying in Sonora/Jamestown each night and riding the Yosemite area one day and the Sierra's the next. Plus to this would be, being in the same hotel room each night and loading unloading once, ride the amount your comfortable with and being able to head backup anytime you wanted. A pretty centrally located spot within CA and if any NV people wanted to come

Second thing that comes to mind would be heading out of the Sonora/Jamestown area in the morning and riding Yosemite then the back roads up in to the Tahoe area, staying the night and riding the northern Sierras out around Lassen, hat creek and Burney Falls staying in Burney then heading home the next day. Problem I see with this is that the last day would be a long travel day for some of the SoCal folks (we would be ending east of redding)

Open to suggestion and ideas, rough dates, places to ride/stay, etc. Most of all just kinda throwing this out to the folks on the west coast that would like to get together and ride, get to know each other, maybe have a beer or two ;) , and just have a good time. Figure if we can get even 10-15 folks from here and half of that bring someone that's not on the board (doesn't HAVE to be a RG!) we could have 20-25 bikes and a real good time with some kick ass scenery and riding

Don't need a head count, just curious if there some real interest in this idea of mine......

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd like to try and run outta the same place ever morning, well see if it works out that way, hopefully. As for RichieRich.....lol....he gets back stateside next week and picks his bike up when he gets back :rolleyes: I'm the first one to give him a hard time!! But, it is hard to push a bike in the sand :eek: as for the dates/timing, we'll see how the winter goes. I'm game to ride in the cold, but negative on the snow lol plus most of the roads up there are closed til the snow is gone

Sounds like something I would be interested in as well. I live in S. Cal but LOVE highway 49 and the passes. I have stayed in Jamestown before as the area is great.
As long as it seems like it would be central, that general area will be the spot. Angles camp, Sonora, Jamestown....whole are is an awesome place to spend a weekend riding :D

I'm down, but since I'm active duty, I'd definitely need time to route a 4 day chit unless I could be back in San Diego Monday. If u guys don't mind a few batwings and road kings, I could get my club to go along, too. Probably 10 would show.
Think there is a few active duty that may like to attend, including my possible.....couch, couch...help...couch, cough. When the time comes, there should be plenty of notice in advance. I can't imagine there being a problem with non road glides, well all all here to ride!

#3 ·
Sounds like something I would be interested in as well. I live in S. Cal but LOVE highway 49 and the passes. I have stayed in Jamestown before as the area is great.

#4 ·
I'm down, but since I'm active duty, I'd definitely need time to route a 4 day chit unless I could be back in San Diego Monday. If u guys don't mind a few batwings and road kings, I could get my club to go along, too. Probably 10 would show.

#6 ·
Thanks for volunteering me douchebag. Lol. Atleast you attempted to run it by me offline first; probably betweem episodes of burbon swilling.

NorCal,

Whats with the slick comments? If you have something specific to say to me click the PM button. Don't muddy up my man's post talkin out the side of your mouth.

Subscribed....excited to see where this goes. Keep it around that early summer/late Spring so it doesn't bleed into vacay we need for SW.

#7 ·
Thanks for volunteering me douchebag. Lol. Atleast you attempted to run it by me offline first; probably betweem episodes of burbon swilling.
Who you trying to call douchebag lol you wouldn't know what to do without me :) your like the little brother I never wanted LOL ;)

As for the bourbon, yeah, so.......at least I ran it by you :p

#10 · (Edited)
RichieRich, volunteered you to make you feel go about yourself : ) what do you know about the mountains anyway ;)
"boy you sure do have a prudy mouth"
-in my best deliverance voice

Oh shit, before I forget....blockbuster keeps calling for you?? They said they need they're copy of Brokeback Mountain back, I didn't ask any question, just relying a message brother LMAO

Sounds good, hopefully we can get a decent turnout with a good location that is somewhat centrally located........like you said, the area has many good rides to ride with a lot if great destinations to ride to and things to see

#13 ·
Tool belt and hard hat is just for a side job....you know that, same reason you have your sailor outfit :eek:

70 miles, that's a hell of a stones throw, even for a big boy like you :eek:

But seriously, send the movie back so they quit calling and looking for you :rolleyes:

Okay now, back on track.........looks like there may be a decent amount of interest in a trip so I will start taking a little more of a serious look into we're we maybe able to get a decent rate on rooms and a few day trip options for rides

#21 ·
.... just would need more cold beer if it is hot and that is not a bad thing
No sir.......And if its cold, start the day off with a few cups of coffee and kahlua, warms you up nicely for the large amounts of cold beer required to cool back down ;)

#29 ·
2013 redwood run is June 7 - 9 (Friday - Saturday) Piercy, CA if you don't know
SWIII is September 30 - August 1 (Tuesday - Thursday)

Obviously we'll be clear of running into conflict with SWIII, but if there was any interest in lining this up for those that wants to hit the Redwood Run also please let me know........

Right now, as it stands, I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd weekend in may (10th-13th or 17th-20th) "should" have the roads back open by then and a descent room rate.

Once I chose a date I'll make a few calls and see where the rooms stand and at what point the discounts happen......the more people, the cheaper ;).....remember you don't have to be on a Road Glide to attend, if you have friend/family that would like to join in for the weekend that's A okay

#32 ·

Now now there will be none of this HD Forums talk here....if I wanted to get yelled at and talked to like a child, I would just stay home LMAO

As for the BrokeBack Mountain reference.......there is zero tolerance in effect for that up coming weekend and camping is at your own risk!! :eek: clearly I will be double and triple locking my hotel room door!!!

#34 ·
Noted.......hoping to get a date set by the first of the year so the planning stage can move forward. If this date or any other is 100% a go for anyone else please let me know, so I can add it to the sheet

If there's enough of a turn out I think we can make some real fun out of this. Not a SW but an annual spring ride ;) maybe with some of the SW perks :confused:

#36 ·
You should let the DOD know what's up, you and the ol lady will be busy :D notice I said you need to tell them, not me.......

Just kidding I volunteered you to help plan it, not to go :p LOL just kidding little buddy, you know we got the game plan down.......doon doon doon ......

#40 ·
Palm pilot......I knew you were rich!! All up on this technology stuff ;) anyway, double check with your palm and hit me on my pager.....I'll call you back from the first pay phone I see
Can you guys start a thread and just pick on each other. You remind me of all of my buddies...:D It would be the most read thread on here..

#39 ·
Aight cool. Hit me from the payphone and I'll beat the war drums and hit you back with some smoke signals....seriously though, you need to email me some specifics you are thinking. Looks like this little regional meet may take off. ;)

#42 · (Edited)
Palm Pilot Richie........it's foggy today, smoke signals will not work, i repeat, will not work today. Banging your drum may work but please don't ever put me in the same sentence with you and your "war drum" again.......thank you ;)

Oh, and for dateline. We've talked, they wanted to go prime time but said it wouldn't work if most of the episode was bleeped out LOL

Laxin........this guy just won't quit, ya know. I try to go easy, make him feel good about himself, all the nice things. But he's as outta place as a three-legged cat at the dog pound. He needs help, and I'm just trying to be there for him :D LMAO

Call me RichieRich :p lol "you got mail" an no not that kind, is about spring

#43 ·
I'm local to the "Modesto" area, so I might be up for day rides from the Jamestown area. I'll keep lurking for details as they become available.
Even with a really heavy snow year.... Hwy 120 or 140 to/from Yosemite will be open as well as Hwy 49 from Oakhurst to Grass Valley.
Here is a link to recent years/route closure dates for the passes... http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

Nice day ride south out of Jamestown on 49 to Mariposa, Hwy 140 in to Yosemite returning via Hwy 120, although the traffic (buses) on 120 can suck. About 165 miles / 4 hours saddle time round trip.

#44 ·
SmokinToad, thanks for the info!! Very useful and appreciated :) hope you'll be able to swing out for a day trip or two while we're all out that way. Hoping it will be a good time with a bunch of good folks (minus "that one guy" lol)

Was actually just out your way last weekend, rode out to Lodi for lunch at the brewery. From here there's a few good day trips out your way

#45 ·
@GoneBlack... no problem
If you haven't run 49 from Coulterville south to Mariposa for lunch at Happy Burger, you should when you have a chance.
140 is IMHO the best route into Yosemite... light traffic, no tall vehicles through the Yosemite gate due to big granite boulder tunnel, and the weight limited "temporary" bridges from the landslide road blockage some years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.