Road Glide banner

Glove box eliminator ??

5K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Dmize 
#1 ·
Has anybody eliminated their glove boxes ? I know that the inner is plastic and I have done a little research on plastic welding, but I obviously want it done right. Any ideas or people to contact ?

Peace

#5 ·
I did not eliminate mine but I did section them. I cut about two inces off of the bottom eliminating the awkward angle and replaced it with a flat bottom. For the bottom I got some abs plastic and heated it up to make it plyable enough to shape the new bottom. Once it was cooled I used some two pat epoxy to glue the new bottoms in place. I was left with a glove box that was about two inches deep and perfectly shaped to hold a pair of glasses, phone, wallet, really anyting you would want to place in there. By doing this I was left with plenty of room for the enormous magnets on the back of my 6.5" Boston Accoustic drivers.

BTW the ABS sheet plastic is available in bulk but I just went to Hobby Lobby and purchased an ABS plastic stepping stone mold. It was cheap, easy and affordable.

I dont have any pics of the final but here are a couple of the mocko up.

Attachments

#6 ·
Here is a pic of the abs plastic stepping stone mold I used to make new glove box bottoms. A heat gun would have been ideal to heat up the plastic but I don't have on so I used a torch. btw plastic smells awfull when on fire...

I also made a couple rings out of oak that were epoxied to the inside of the fairing to reinforce the spaker mounting area and give me something secure to screw the speakers to. These speakers are so heavy I felt that a little extra structure would be a good idea.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks guys for all the response. I want to erase all evidence of a glovebox ever being there, maybe I should talk to a body shop or custom car shop.

#17 ·
I would never get rid of the glove boxes. One of my buddies that rides a SG is always saying "I wish I had something like that". He doesn't like the look of the leather windshield bags so he won't get it for his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.