Road Glide banner

Travel & Exhaust

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  braymond52 
#1 ·
I am contemplating a major road trip in 13 I live in Ks. I want to ride hwy 1 will travel through Co,Ut, Nv, Ca, also maybe some of these depending on the route home Or, Id, Wy, SD, Ne, Az, NM, and Ok .
My question :If I have noncompliant exhaust Could I expect to have problems in any of these states?
I want to change my exhaust, I don't want loud just good sound but I don't want problems either

#2 ·
I havent had any problems.
Been through most of those areas including Canada.
Once in a while I here about them cracking down. I dont know how it would work if your from out of the area.
I have Screaming Eagle 22 state legal pipes. :>)

G
#3 ·
I've never had any issues at all in the following states and this is with my RK which is much louder than my RGU. Nv, Or, Id, Wy, SD, Az. I spend a lot of time in MT, ID, WA, SD, WY also with no problems.

#5 ·

I'm in California and it isn't really that bad. Don't do anything stupid and you'll be just fine.

I have the upswept fishtails on my '62 and I have not had any negative feedback, even when pulled over. They look cool, but if you look closely, you'll notice they are really straight pipes. They're just long enough that it doesn't look, or sound, like straight pipes until I get on it.

My V & H pipes on the Road Glide have never even gotten a second glance from the local LEO.

#9 ·
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have never been hassled on a road trip for exhaust noise. You would probably have to work pretty hard to cross that line, i.e., acting like an asshat if ya get pulled over for something else, like speeding.

Rowdy

#10 ·
Living in the LA area (California)... Recently I've noticed a few of those mobile signs about town saying "Motorcycle exhaust laws strictly enforced" but I haven't seen anybody pulled over. I suspect that the signs might be the only thing they do for enforcement... My RG is stock but I have loud exhaust on a couple other bikes I have and don't worry about riding them at all. I couldn't imagine what the cops would do if they saw a loud bike all the way out here from Kansas but, I would be impressed.;-)
Most cops in CA see hundreds of bikes (many with loud exhaust) in the course of their day and only seem concerned with safety issues and not with harassment. The only time I would worry about a loud exhaust ticket is if I was pulled over for something else that pissed them off...

#12 ·
Over a period of many years, I've been many places on a H-D. A lot of miles with drag pipes(back in the day), and a lot of miles with, let us say, non factory exhaust. The only time that the subject was ever brought up, I was sitting at a stop sign in downtown Estes Park, Colorado on a 1979 FXE shovelhead, when a local officer pulled in behind me and flipped the lights on me. Expecting a ticket, I pulled to the curb. He wanted to know what kind of pipes I had on the bike, he liked the way they sounded and wanted a set. LOL

#13 ·
Don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself and you'll most likely be just fine. Reving your bike at lights and racing through small towns will usually get unwanted attention from the Local Law. My old Road King was pretty loud and I never had any issues with law enforcement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.