Road Glide banner

high speed touring

11K views 56 replies 41 participants last post by  Minivend 
#1 ·
I am new to Harley's having been on BMWs most of my life... Recently purchased new Road Glide Ultra and absolutely love it:), beginning to see what the mistique and enjoyment is all about. The bike is just breaking in, 800 miles Approx today. On the way back from North Georgia mountains today ran it like the old beemers, twisted the throttle up and held it there, relativley high speeds, 80's vicinity, and couldn't get over how solid it felt and handling was light and balanced... My question is what other forum member's thoughts are on this type of riding... I.e. is it considered too hard on the big VTwin which has the reputation as a cruiser?

#4 ·
I have a Suzuki DL1000 which is very high geared and my Road Glide does 80's all day just as good as it does. I absolutely love it when I go over to Montana and ride it really seems to hunker down when I get it over 80.

#5 ·
I had an RT for a couple of years too, great machine.

I regularly ride at 84 MPH for hours, that's where the cruise shuts off. 20K miles and no issues. The 96's & 103's will do it all day long. The older 88 inch five speeds struggled over 80, but the newer bikes love it...

#6 ·
Dont worry these bikes will handle it just fine. Im 300+ lbs and im at or above 80mph most of the time on my trips with only a stock 96" with 26k miles on her. They handle like a dream.

#33 ·
Pfaat! Pre '09 just fine for 80 mph all day. A few low cost tweaks and any difference on the butt is purely imaginary - in the mind. :) Back to the point, and not to digress, the core of the question is how does the Road Glide compare to a BMW k1600 GTL ?

I have been looking at the BMW k1600 GTL and I want one. I have said to the wife that it fills a different and needed motorcycle niche in my garage than our present three Harleys. The RG is excellent on the 50-200 mile day ride. And the Deuce gives me a "total motorcycle experience in under 50 miles. Say I want to do an "iron Butt" with several of my riding buddies that already display their Iron Butt license frames on their bikes. And say I wanted to ride the four corners of the USA? The bike I would purchase today for that - sorry born again believers in HD - would be the BMW k1600 GTL.

Different bikes, different objectives, different experiences, all good.

BTW, wife's response to my rationale is how many days a year am I going to ride more than 400 miles to make it worthwhile? Do I have the free time. And regarding desire, why after 350 miles would I not want to stop at a hotel, put the feet up on the bed, and have a Martini? And she says, and we would still be ahead monetarily staying in hotels and drinking Martinis. She has a point.

So, the BMW k1600 GTL will not be parked soon in my garage - for now. Alas, have to stay riding only my 2 Harleys for now. The humanity of it all. Life is good. :))

#8 ·

I ride mine at 80+ every time I'm on it. It seems to love that speed. At 80 mph in 6th gear, it is just turning 3K rpm. That's the start of my powerband. It rolls on up from there.

#9 · (Edited)
The Roadie likes to roll...I ride 80 2 up, fullly loaded...about 1350-1400 lbs. I have a 96 c.i.....Since I added cams, D&D Fatcat 2-1, super pro tuner and Jagg oil cooler my bike will cruise all day long at 80 mph and only runs 190-200 degree oil temp.

oh...and i leave the lowers on in the summer...and it can get pretty hot here in Houston.

#10 ·
is it considered too hard on the big VTwin which has the reputation as a cruiser?
the rg will cruise all day long at that speed. oh, and welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new bike, way to break it in like you're gonna ride it :D

Thanks, thought this was something I might have to give up, but apparently not. I would assume lowers come off in summer down here in South to manage temps.
i keep my lowers on year round. but i do take the doors off in the summer months for increased air flow.

#13 ·
Ride 200 miles plus on back roads from home to the Gulf Coast @ 70-80 mph. Runs great and 40 mpg on an FLTRUSE fully loaded. 20K miles with no issues.
Road to Indy in 1 day at 80-85 all day in 95 degree heat. Break it in the way you plan to ride it.

#14 ·
When I'm on the slab I run 90+ for hours arund 3200-3500 rpm. 30K great miles so far. Even running 100 I'm doing fine and smile more. I've just come to deal with knowing that I'll have to give my autograph again if caught.

#16 ·
I didn't know 80 was considered "high speed", the last two weekends I rode I averaged that and more for over 1,000 miles, that's just crusing. Welcome to the forum.

#17 ·
This is a pic of my Ducati Diavel Carbon:

That is what I traded in when I bought my RGC.

I ride my RGC just as hard as I did my Ducati. Even in the twisties ;) Which is why some of the mods I like... I can't do. Extended bags, side exit exhaust and the like... I can't reduce my already limited lean angle.

On the freeways here, our speed limits are 70mph, so I am usually doing 80-90mph the entire time.

#18 ·
My last bike was an '01 Ultra Classic, which had a 95" motor, no oil cooler and 3.37:1 final drive gearing. 80mph on that bike was 3600rpm, 85 was 3800rpm. In 2003 we rode the Ultra to Sturgis from Iowa, 2-up, pulling a 400lb trailer, almost 600mi all at 80-85mph on I90. No problems whatsoever. Yes, it ran a bit hotter than normal, but didn't mind it otherwise. I routinely ran that bike at 80+ mph on the interstate.

I'd have NO qualms running my current 103" bike at 80-90mph for hours at a time.

#19 ·
I honestly wonder how anyone rides at the speed limit... seriously. Every time I'm on the highway I'm 85+ unless the CHP is in site. If I'm running 65 I'm in 4th or 5th gear too. I love the 6th gear, but that's a 75+ gear imo.

Hell, I ride my old evo softail the same way, it's just got a bit more vibes... and my bmw GS too...

Diff strokes, diff folks. :-D

#20 ·
Standard for us... two-up and loaded with cruise control set on 80 and an easy twist (no down-shift) to accelerate to 90/100 when passing 16 wheel tread tossers.

Was the same routine with my 2010 too (35K miles at trade-in - no problems). As stated, 96" and 103" with 6 speed trans plus new frame are well above the "cruiser" category.

#21 ·
Our 6th gear sucks at highway speeds. :confused:

Very anemic power. I haven't looked up a dyno chart, but I believe we're running about 1000-1500rpm below our sweet spot in 6th on the freeway at anything under 80mph.

All of my previous bikes ran at or very near their peak of the powerband in 6th at 65-75mph. Never really needed to downshift until I got my RGC.

#26 ·
I owned three Yamahas and three other Harleys before making the step to a Road Glide, am not looking back anymore, ride is great, power is as needed and the bike as so many have said just feels solid to the road. Had fixed fairings on two of the rice rockets prior, had one w/s and one batwing Harley, so far nothing will change my mind as to ride performance here. I have a little trouble keeping speeds down with the Roadie, I need to check the speedometer more often as I seem to creep toward 80/85 if I don't!

#43 ·
Amen, I never used my cruise.... until, while riding two up, by wife advised me that at 110 MPH we would most likely to get a ticket. When I looked down, I think it was closer to 105, but why argue. :D I now use my cruise set at 75 so have have a place to slow down to. :p.

#45 ·
Amen, I never used my cruise.... until, while riding two up, by wife advised me that at 110 MPH we would most likely to get a ticket. When I looked down, I think it was closer to 105, but why argue. :D I now use my cruise set at 75 so have have a place to slow down to. :p.
Yep the cruise control is magic. I set mine at 7-8 mph above posted speed limits and I’ve had no trouble so far. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.