Road Glide banner

Yet another black RGC build

107K views 588 replies 64 participants last post by  RichieRich 
#1 ·
Just bought my first Road Glide a week ago, 170 miles on the odometer and now she's torn apart :D:D yet it will be another blacked out RG but that's what I want. Just trying to highlight the chrome "V" of the motor. It will be done solely in my garage and not some high end shop build, but will be don't 100% correctly by me. Without going on and on here a quick list of what's going on.....

Bike - 2012 Road Glide Custom

Parts ordered:
Black Bassani plus P with 4" B1 mufflers
Wrinkle black big sucker
Power vision - fuel moto mapped
FBI low profile dash
Painted ineer fairing
Boom! Fairing speakers
PM grips and matching pegs (highway and passenger)
Head bolt bridge
Wrinkle black top and side tranny cover
Wrinkle black horn cover
Black wrap license plate mount
Tri light brake light
CD LED Tail lights
Alloy Art front turn signals (black)
Piaa head light bulbs
LEDs to do halo mod
Black handlebar levers
Black KW 8" flare
Sinister pissed off head light bezel

Some of the parts going to get gloss black powder coat tomorrow:
Rear light bar
Crash bar
Invisible fairing supports
Floorboard pans
Passenger peg mounts
Horn mount (wrinkle black)
Starter end cover (wrinkle black)
Bag supports/mounts
Rear brake lever
Rear fender strut covers
Brake pad base

Parts still to deside on so I can order:
Black single rotor front end with hidden axle
Contrast cut 21" front wheel
Contrast cut 18" rear wheel
Front fender - stretched FL style
CVO bags and rear fender
Seat
Mirrors

I'll be making my own handle bars so I can get the look I'm after will getting the comfort that I need, just need to make up my mind on a seat so I can get them started

Won't be as nice a some of the bikes on the forum but it will have my own twist on it to make it mine. The building of a bike (wrenching) is just as much fun and riding for me :)

Just before I left the dealer 5/19/2012.....3 miles on the bike, after my test ride

One week and 170 miles later.....I began to start un bolting a few thing

She's a little furth apart now, but figured I'd come in the house before I got killed

See less See more
#137 ·
The next episode..........has begun :confused:

Kinda where I'm at as of now;

Exhaust is done, sounds F-ING wicked!!! All said and done I ended up with 8-3/4" of baffle :eek: lol packed the shit outta it and hoped for a decent sound, I'm more than happy, felt in your chest deep now :D im a fan of the no exhaust out back look so it should all work out well

Bike is now up at Mike's for the painting portion of things....TopShop bags, mod'd Rear CVO setup, reprint dash, side covers, gauge bezels, speaker grills, new front fender "again", etc, etc.....the off to the pinstriper for some green....

Hope to get my gauges and radio out to Marty this week for the "green treatment"

Stock pile of green LEDs at home for accent lighting and new green halos.....only doing accent lighting that hits the road, nothing on the motor, wheels, etc

AMP for the ol stereo.....just a BOOM! but was at a cost I couldn't say no to.

Once she gets home, I can do my finally finish on the exhaust to sit flush with the bottom of the bags and send it out with my header to get a full inside/outside ceramic coat. The balance of chrome with get sent out to powder coat, paint all the zinc bolts that back up to a black, black.

Still currently on the hunt for a stretched tank (or skins) that I like and a set of stretched side covers that will work with the newer frames and my traditional style true dual exhaust......come on TopShop!!!! I don't have patience for shit that I want LOL

Maybe the wheels will get a little black powder added to them.....not sure yet, may just say F it and roll a 23 :confused: who knows

Still undecided of a few items, that I'm not sure if I want to do, or if I want to just make my own version........time will tell

Not much at this time, but an update never the less, now Laxin and Reficul can sleep at night

#151 ·
As some know I have been looking looking and looking for a 21" stretched FL style fender that I could get to sit tight to the tire, like the way the 26" fenders do.....some understood, some didn't LOL now that I have it done and it's mocked up, this is what I was talking about!! Don't mind the color :rolleyes: no questions at this time, just look at the pictures :confused: LMAO

Oh and the bags have the shinny coat on them :)

Gauges have been sent out and all the other green lights have been ordered, things are beginning to slowly shape up......but damn, patience is NOT one of my strong points

#153 ·
It's stays hidden around the corner til the steak and beer :D

LOL just kidding, hopefully it's in a presentable enough state for SW :eek: trying to decide what tank and side covers, if any at this point....:confused:....choices choices choices

Just trying to get her to a point where I can call her "done" but my OCD is in high gear

#170 ·
LMAO.....they only look there if they know the compartment is there, they'd have to dig threw all the ammo and empty beer cans to see it :rolleyes: J/K I carry my XD40 in the glove box or waist band (CCW), it's easier to get to while doing 80 MPH down the highway :D after all, in the event you'll even need it you can't just say wait let me pull over real quick

Oh and the bags are 3-4.5" viper cut bags. I ride this one so much harder than the king I didn't want to scrape and didn't want any exhaust out the back either....

what bag liners are those?
D, The bags come lined from TopShop. They're glued in and always look great on all the bags I've ever bought/seen from them

#177 ·
Broke down and went a head and got a set of side covers coming, still can't figure out a tank, so......that might have to wait :eek:

Gauges and radio face are done and should be to Mike by late next week to get painted :rolleyes:

D, looks like your gonna have to send your gauges out too buddy :D LMAO

#187 ·
Tank is pressure tested. I am in process of cutting 2 seats to french in to the new tank (not fun) Front end is finally done. Looking at the Dakota gauges now. RED or Blue? Decisions, decisions :confused:

#190 ·
Just bought my first Road Glide a week ago, 170 miles on the odometer and now she's torn apart :D:D yet it will be another blacked out RG but that's what I want. Just trying to highlight the chrome "V" of the motor. It will be done solely in my garage and not some high end shop build, but will be don't 100% correctly by me.
This is why we get along so well. we both like to wrench without having to pay the overpriced labor rates of dealerships. I hope you feel the same pride I do in putting my entire bike together with the help of forums, manual, and beer/bullshitting. good job my friend nice build!

#191 ·
Thanks bud! I enjoy wrenching in my stuff way to much to pay someone to do what I can do. Feels good when people stop to check out my bike knowing I'm the only person that has worked on/designed it.......have a little more work to do, have the picture in my head of what I want it to look like and it's getting there, just slowly LOL love your bike, almost went with the same rear fender myself :D

#192 ·
Side covers came in today :D probably won't get them all mocked up and fitted til next week some time. But that should be about the end of the parts for paint for this go around........that is unless I can finally find a tank i like this weekend :rolleyes: fingers crossed, I'd like to get all the body parts in paint this go around so I can focus on a few other little touches ($$$$$$$$) the rest of the year

Sorry no pictures, I only opened the box long enough to make sure nothing was trashed from FedEx

#196 ·
Pickards, javon made a sweet deal on them, plus they're fiberglass so I can easily cut them up and modify them to clear my left side header. Just about all the 09+ covers are made for the cross under style exhaust and I'm running the traditional style cross over

#198 ·
LMAO Your leaning toward cross under style cuz your lazy.....SMH......that and it doesn't matter, you won't run stretched side covers anyway :) I just like the look and now a days everyone has cross under.

If I have to cut them up and mod them to clear, it's all good :D the cool shit is always the stuff that was made......no one else will have a set like them ;)

#203 ·
hey gone black.

just wondering how you did the halo mod with the piaa bulbs or what have you
looking at doing the same to mine or the h.i.d conversion

let me know your thoughts

Thanks!
There's a write up on it somewhere.....

Basically, drilled a small hole near the top of each head light, fished the leads through the....from the inside, then slowly pealed the adhesive backing off the LED strip as I worked it around the inside if rash head light housing, there is a small flat area inside that the LEDs sit in. Once that was done, I sealed up the hole in each of the housings and I wired mine up to the daytime running light lead inside the fairing, so the HALOs on on with the headlights during normal operation and when the ignition switch is turned to acc while parked, just the HALOs are on.....

Once you have the LEDs and the headlights out it makes sense and really is easy to do.

As for the PIAAs, they're just a plug and play deal, and an HID setup would just be wired accordingly in addition to the HALO mod. They looks great and surprisingly get a lot of compliments, for a $20 mod LOL

Though I maybe selling my headlights with them installed.......not sure if I'm ready to tackle my "new idea" for headlights :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.