Road Glide banner

Enough!!!

6K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  billd76 
#1 ·
I'm ready to trade!! My 011 RGU throttle is acting up again. I've had back to the dealer three times, taking it back for the fourth time today (if it will get me there). The past three times it was a problem with uncomanded high throttle. This morning on the way to work I had no throttle response!! Intermittent of course. No check engine light, so apparently no codes. With throttle twisted wide open, nothing above idle. Riding this thing is starting to be a white knuckle affair, not knowing if I'll have enough throttle response to pull away froma stop sign or wondering if its going to go full throttle when I least expect it. I'm going to trade it on something with throttle cables. Screw this crap!!!!

#6 ·
Well the dealer I got it from changed the oil when I got it (bike had 2300 miles on it) Within a week there was oil on the garage floor. Found filter to be extremely loose. They also installed slip ons for me. two week later the tranny flange was leaking oil on the garage floor. Found the exhaust mount bracket allen bolts that go into the tranny flange were less than finger tight. So I decided then to find another dealer, and they have been working with me on this throttle issue the best they can in my opinion. I've been wanting a bad boy bike anyway. If I can get this thing to operate properly long enough to get it to the dealer today and they have an all black softail with ape hangers and wrapped exhaust and THROTTLE CABLES, I'm trading :D

#9 ·
Send and email addressed to Harley's president/vice president/director of Customer Service. Don't blast him, just give the facts and you want ....

#13 ·
I did send an email to the suggestion area on the HD site. Asking them to please get rid of the TBW. Didn't slame them, just the facts and told them I just didn't feel safe riding it. Just never know what the throttle is going to do leaves me feeling uneasy, seems to be all I think about when riding. Whats the Prezs email address.

#10 ·
I had a problem with the throttle sticking. After 3 trips to 2 different dealers and thanks to the team at Ring of Fire Harley Davidson in Madison Tennessee for identifying and fixing the problem. They changed the throttle switch and all has been fine for 8k miles.

#14 ·
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

What you also have is a failure to diagnose by your dealer.

The problem is probably very easily fixed. Follow the advice of others that have had the same issues get their documentation and take it to a good independent, not a know it all, a guy that will listen and learn. If he's any good at all he will look at what others discovered that he can learn from and make the fix to your bike.

He will then store that info and make himself useful to all others that have the same problem, fix it for a reasonable fee and retain the customer relationship.

In the end the options are all yours, you can go back to a cable throttle bike if that is what you really want or you can get your current ride fixed right, safe and enjoyable to you.

#15 ·
I did the ignition on off key thing prior to heading home from work and had no issues on the ride home. Went by the dealer and talked to the service dept about it. They said the last time I had in they replaced evrything but the throttle body and even removed the green connector that everyone talks about. At the moment, I had to buy a two year extended service plan. My warranty expired in september. Need to ride it 300 miles now, or so I was told, before any extended service under the warranty can be performed. The guys in the service department said not to worry about that. just to bring it in whenever. Have to go away on business this week. Will probably take it in when I get back.

#16 ·
I had a major FI issue with my 2006 Road King Custom that even the HD lead techs from the factory could not diagnose. Caused me to stall out while crossing a busy highway one time. I raised enough stink to the owner of the dealership and they bought it back from me. Didn't even need to enact the lemon law.

Hope you can get this resolved.

#17 ·
Unplug the wires from the throttlebody. Blow them off real good and apply some dielectric grease to the contacts. Give that a try and let us know what happens.

#18 ·
I'll chime in here because I'm on the verge of trading mine in as well. Pulled out of the neighborhood, shifted into 2nd, gave it some gas and NOTHING, but a check engine light and a throttle revving up. It was like I was riding in neutral! Shifted through the gears as I coasted down the street at 15 mph (in a 55mph zone), and still no response. Turned it off, let it set for about 5 while I made some phone calls, started it back up and everything was fine.

Rode it home, then to the dealer. They ran the code reader on it, came up with faulty throttle actuator. They cleared the code from the reader and it read no faults. Rode it all day, no problem. They called it a "hiccup"! Crank it up to ride home last night.....this time 70 miles from home, shift to 2nd, bam same issue! Took about ten minutes to get it going this time! That happens at night on I-95, I'm dead! Period!

Frustrated as HELL!

#19 ·
Some people dont value the post office and the mail anymore but a certified letter still means alot more then a email does. Might want to try that route.

Sent from my SCH-I535

#20 ·
Sorry, couldn't readily find their email addresses. Suggest you send a old school registered letter to the Chairman of the Board and the COO.

Mr. Keith E. Wandell , 62
Chairman of The Board, Chief Exec. Officer and Pres

Mr. Matthew S. Levatich , 47
Pres of Harley-Davidson Motor Company and Chief Operating Officer of Harley-Davidson Motor Company

Harley-Davidson, Inc.
3700 West Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
United States

#21 ·
UP date

Throttle acted up again two weeks ago, same as before. dropped to idle with no throttle response. Rode straight to the dealer. They called last night and said it was fixed again. This time, bad ABS module. Yes this too can cause no throttle response. Service tech said that even a bad connector behind the radio will cause the bike to loose throttle, as now all the little electrons all flow together, and if the ECM senses any drop in voltage anywhere, that could affect the throttle or ABS, causing it to go to limp home mode. So now I have to purchase an extended warranty, or service plan, or good will service plan. I am not a happy camper for having to buy either. Definitely will send a letter. I did get a response from the suggestions department. I suggested that they get rid of the TBW and go back to cables. Told them that it was no longer a pleasure to ride and didn't think it was safe to ride. I mean, from here on out I will be wondering what the throttle is going to do next. They also told me I had a bad battery. I told them that the first time I took in!!! Battery shot in two years!!!!!!!!Anyway, as i said before, should've kept my 06. Oh well, all I can do is hope that eventually I can ride without having any issues. I'm going to ride everyday, and just hopefully I'll get all the bugs ironed out prior to summer!

#24 ·
Throttle acted up again two weeks ago, same as before. dropped to idle with no throttle response. Rode straight to the dealer. They called last night and said it was fixed again. This time, bad ABS module. Yes this too can cause no throttle response. Service tech said that even a bad connector behind the radio will cause the bike to loose throttle, as now all the little electrons all flow together, and if the ECM senses any drop in voltage anywhere, that could affect the throttle or ABS, causing it to go to limp home mode. So now I have to purchase an extended warranty, or service plan, or good will service plan. I am not a happy camper for having to buy either. Definitely will send a letter. I did get a response from the suggestions department. I suggested that they get rid of the TBW and go back to cables. Told them that it was no longer a pleasure to ride and didn't think it was safe to ride. I mean, from here on out I will be wondering what the throttle is going to do next. They also told me I had a bad battery. I told them that the first time I took in!!! Battery shot in two years!!!!!!!!Anyway, as i said before, should've kept my 06. Oh well, all I can do is hope that eventually I can ride without having any issues. I'm going to ride everyday, and just hopefully I'll get all the bugs ironed out prior to summer!
Do you check for codes yourself or do you wait for the dealer to check the codes? Learning how to check and clear codes is very important IMO, learning this proceedure may just get you on the road again when your bike goes into limp mode. The first thing I would do is go through the bike and put dielectric grease on as many electrical plugs as you can, doing this will help insure the electrical connection and help eliminate sensor voltage fluctuation.

#22 ·
Thanks for the update, and sorry to hear of the continuing problems, which hopefully are over!

#23 ·
From the first post,the fact that the oil filter was loose,they forgot to tighten the trans bolts when putting on the exhaust bracket,which wasn't necessary to remove when doing slip-ons,shows a real lack of attention to detail,or possibly distraction.

with someone like that working on your bike,especially trying to diagnose,all sorts of connectors and anything he touched may have been left loose.It will take awhile to find all of that.

thankfully I can do all my own work.Experiences like this are why I insist on working on my own bike.

#27 ·
The dealer that is working on it now, is not the dealer that left the bolts loose. The dealer now seems to be doing the best they can. Treating me good money wise as well. I too like doing my own work, but with all the electronis these days, manufacturers are sure making it tough to diagnose anything out in the garage over a cold beer.

#29 ·
dug out my service work order for my problem.

"repaired throttle actuator pin connections, found 10 codes related to throttle"

also noted;

repaired twist grip sensor connections

had the problem twice prior to this repair.... have not had it since.

d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.