Road Glide banner

What Comm system do you use?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Flexin 
#1 ·
So I looked all over the sight, didn't see anything in the audio, can't find an electronics section, so asking here since technically it's helmet related.

I am new to "proper" helmets, last time I wore a full face was in 1999 when I had a sport bike, and I have never had a comm system. Looking to see what you guys use. Would be nice to take a call while riding, and also be able to chat with the wife when we ride since we will both have full face helmets soon. If I can use the system for my tunes that would be awesome but I don't know how this works. I have the factory stereo system on my bike currently.

Would appreciate any input here, the Sena unit looks like a winner, but what do you do about your music? If you wear a full face can you still hear the tunes?

Thanks
Gabe

#3 ·
We have the Sena units and love them. You can do all you mentioned with them. Music is Bluetooth through my IPhone using Pandora as well as GPS using the Navigon app.

We use both half helmet clamps with earbuds and the regular setup with the speakers in the 3/4 helmets. It's pretty easy to move the Sena Main unit between the helmets.

I have used the phone feature often and most people dont believe it when you tell them you are actually riding. Sounds quality is execellent. Had an issue with the half helmets clamps and they were replaced with new updated versions by Sena without hassle.

#7 ·
Does the music with the system on the ultra come though the head phones, I'm not necessarily looking for Pandora, although would be a nice option, but I paid more for a bike with a fairing and tunes and would like to hear my tunes still even with my melon more protected.

Thanks

#4 ·
Now I use the comms on the Ultra and love it.

When prior to this I used the Scala Rider G-4 (the new one is the G-9). Sold this to my buddy and we are still friends, he loves it.

Can take calls, connect to your phone for music and other blue tooth devices (GPS). Battery life was great, never had a problem. Also does passanger to rider and bike to bike. Researched and tried many products over the years (comms in helmets also) returned all of them for one reason or another.

My problem with comms in helmets, the helmets are cheap, visors stink, etc. So I had to go with separate unit.

Let me know if you have any questions, the only reason I got rid of mine was because the Ultra came with it's own, figured I should give it a try. Other than not having the phone connect, I like.

P.S. If I still had the G-4, even if my wife was riding with me, she would be on the phone all the time. It's a blessing not to have that functionality. :D

#9 ·
I have the J&M Elite systems in our helmets and use the plug ins already on the bike. I'm such a cheap ass I could not justify a wireless system when the complete system is already wired into the Ultras. When we ride we use the heck out of the intercom and when it goes quiet I know she fell asleep!!

#12 ·
I just got the SENA bluetooth and did a trial run yesterday. I put the unit and the speakers on my new Shuberth and Nutter Mutter mounted his on his half shell. Worked great! When I could get him to stop babbling, the tunes from my Android came through like a champ too. Tried the phone feature also, and as TripleJ said, caller had no idea I was wearing a helmet at the time. I synced the Zumo up, too, but haven't tested it on the road yet. The cool thing with the SENA is you can sync multiple people and select the one you want to talk to (or ignore):cool:.

#14 ·
Sucked it up and ordered the SENA unit today to go with our helmets, I couldn't justify the cost of the Cardo G9 (almost twice as much for the pair of those).

There went the majority of my Stage 1 budget, but momma is happy so.......

Put up a bunch of gun stuff for sale lol, to gather funds for my stage 1, hopefully the stuff sells quick, I hate robbing peter to pay paul, but my sink flows tap water not cash......:eek:

#13 ·
Just a note, when mounting in the helmet, make sure the speakers are against your ear for the best sound. I mounted mine under the material with cut foam to get it against my ear. If there is space between your ear and the speaker, you will have to turn the volume up louder to hear, plus you pickup the wind noise in the helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.