Road Glide banner

Thoughts on the CFR slip ons

14K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  RichieRich 
#1 ·
Only heard them on U-Tube! Sound pretty deep without being too loud. At this point I don't plan on going to stage 1 with breather and download.
Welcome comments.
Mike

#2 ·
Installed a pair about two months ago. They have a deep sound and are pretty mellow until you hit the throttle, then they wake up and really sound like you are on a Harley. Went on a 700 mile trip right after I put them on and had no problem hearing the radio at highway speeds. If you stay off the throttle until you are clear of the neighbors they probably won't complain. I ran them with stock breather and stock head pipe. I just put a V&H heavy breather on and it feels like there is more power and torque and that was with a dealer tune. Next step is V&H power duals and I am told the CFR's might getaway little louder. Can't wait to find out. IMHO these pipes are great and look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Just a head's up I've spoken to Cary Faas, the maker of CFR and he say's you NEED a tuner even if you do only slip on's these pipes are extremely high flow and throw off even a stock bike with nothing else done to it! Take it from my experience. ;)

#6 ·
Remove the cat, put a stage one kit on it and your CFR's will rock. All the other pipes sound the same! CFR's have a very unique and deep throatie sound all there own. You will love them.

#7 ·
Glideshark, Like I said, I spoke to Cary Faas himself, had a problem with the first set of pipes I ordered and he was livid that dealers were saying his pipes are slip ons with no need for a tuner. Even on a stock bike he requires a tuner to be added. Words from his mouth not mine, they are basically an open flow thru design, very little back pressure and will throw off the bikes tune enough to damage the chrome plating on them from running to lean. I have the CFR's with Drago's head pipes and SE254E cam's installed, these pipes are loud! Amazing how much louder they get when you install a cam.

#8 ·
This is on Iron Aces website

** Please note that adding CFR Slip-ons to stock Harley-Davidson 103" and 110" engines will require the bike to be re-tuned otherwise discoloration may occur. **

#9 ·
So, whats the recommendation on tuner? I have a set of CFRs waiting on me at home but I didn't plan to do my stage 1 for a few months. What tuner can I buy with some sort of map for CFRs on a stock motor but also will allow for a full dyno tune later when I do stage on upgrades?

#11 ·
Yeah any tuner will work with them, and they give the tuner a hard time on the dyno. they are really difficult pipes to tune, sould be at a 13.4 AFR [air fule ratio] I believe they put the disclaimer up after I returned my first set of CFR pipes because they discolored only after 2 weeks of them on the bike with no other mods. they sound the best but on the other hand hard to tune, and don't make the highest numbers on the dyno. But i'll gladly accept that because I love having other harley guys always coming upt to me asking what pipes i have :D

#12 ·
Richie I ordered my first set in chrome after about a week and half on the bike both pipes turned yellow all the way down the pipes and started to blue BAD! Was very displeased with them, called the co. I bought them thru and told me to speak to CFR owner Cary Faas, gave me his number. After speaking to him back in July he was shocked that retailers were selling his pipes and saying they are slip on's with no tuner required. he said regardless of mods on the bike that the pipes would require a tuner to prevent the bike running lean and discoloring the pipes. thier open flow thru design makes them diff. to tune but that is on any open pipe, very little back pressure. The trade off to that is a diff. sound, louder note that sounds like nothing else

#14 ·
I have a Power Vision tuner and with the auto tune feature it will tune the CFR's to the bike. The tune that Fuel Moto sent me with the PV works well too. The Auto Tune just fine tunes it even further. I've had no problems with my CFR's at all. The only thing I have notice is that you will lose a little bottom end. I know guys on this forum have installed a washer at the end of the head pipe just in front of where the muffler clamps on and that is supposed to bring back the bottom end that was lost. Or you can install new cams.

#16 ·
PC-V $300 vs PV $500......through Fuel Moto anyway

I've always run the thundermax on my bikes, this time I thought I'd try something different. I'm running a Fuel Moto power vision, it works. But if I were to go way from thundermax again, I'd run a PC-V, personally. Although not an auto tune unit, for $300 I'd say you more than get what you pay for.

I don't have the Power Vision mounted on my bike, so there's a lot of unused features.....but I'm not into the display part so it is what it is

Just my $.02

#18 ·
I love my CFR's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got'em installed last winter and people are always asking what kind of pipes they are...I just smile and say "just something I found on the net..." Love the DEEP rumble... And mine are on a stock set-up as well..for now that is!! Grabbing some sort of breather and a tuner of some sort this winter might even throw in a SE259E Cam kit...

#20 ·
They did what I guess they call a "re-map" of my bike and I know I am not running lean. If anything I may be a tad rich. I see it in the end of my pipes and hear it when I de-cel real hard or gas it up as I do when taken off or down shifting cause I love to hear those damn pipes. Like someone before me in this thread said, everyone is always asking me what kind of pipes are those. I dont have any dicoloration and I have over 10k on my pipes. I also have a buddy who put new X-pipe hdrs and my stock pipes with the CAT removed sound just as good even with his 110 to my 103.

#22 ·
no blue-ing!

Bought my bike 'New' in 2009.
Had, Stage 1 and Reinhardts, installed b/4 I picked the bike up.
Switched to a Heavy Breather, and bought a set of CFR's of evilbay, bout 5,000 miles into the bike.
Stock Headers, CFR's , and Heavy Breather, have been on the bike now for bout 10,000 miles.
'No-Problems'!
I did loose some Bottom End, and I get a slight popcorn affect sound (very fant) on decel.
2009 header pipe has no cat.!
Could use a Tuner/Dyno Tune, I'm sure, but I aint got no DIS-COLORING!!!
Reinhardts were 3-1/2 inch mufflers.
CFR's are 4 inch.

#23 ·
I put them on my 12 rgu at about 150 miles and the right one started turning yellow I thought it was because I was having problems with the bike running so hot. After being told over and over by the service mgr that everything is normal. Mind you my complaint was that I had no oil pressure at idle and never more than 16 lbs running down the road I ended up cooking the motor at about 290 miles. It seems a oil ring was missing from the oil pump. So they had to put a new motor in and they put on a decat pipe and stage 1 ac and remapped it and I've had no more problems. I then read on cfrs website that they won't take them back if you haven't remapped it so I just switch them around cuz you can't beat the sound

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#27 ·
Thanks for all your replies

Thank you all! My old FLHTCI had a fuel moto PCM and I was very pleased with the map they provided me. As I indicated I am looking for a deeper sound, but not trying to get to loud.
Not trying to push the envelope with my inquiry, but are there other "slip on" options that may meet my target?

I am not eliminating the CFR just yet, but exploring options

Mike:D

#28 ·
BDmike, there are a ton of options that will please you. The CFR's are the most unique sounding tho, deepest tone to them as well. Just search around on youtube.com and listen to various setups of your bike.

#30 ·
My experience, having had the CFR & the knock off CFR (Ebay)
Sound is deep & LOUD wife could her me coming home blocks away :rolleyes:
when you twist the throttle they really pack a punch, sounded great riding around town or small road trips BUT I found that the sound was very tiring on a long road trip (1000 miles).

As said above You will/do need to tune, I was using a FM PC-V then & had a hard time getting rid of the decel pop.
I did loose bottom end power also.

As for a tuner I personally would recommend the TTS & tune.
Not bashing just my experience.
Colin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.