Road Glide banner

My Power Vision Auto tune results.

83K views 137 replies 51 participants last post by  JDisMe 
#1 ·
I have a Power Vision on my 2012 Road Glide Ultra. It has a Fuel Moto Pro Billet Stage 1 air filter, Vance & Hines Power Dual header, and Jackpot mufflers. I was using the Fuel Moto supplied map for a few weeks, and I was very happy with the way the bike performed. HP/TQ were up, gas mileage remained 42-44 mpg on average with rather agressive riding and the bike was much cooler and more enjoyable to ride. I was happy...

EXCEPT: there was this nagging pinging...even on 93 octane.. in the 80-100% range under load from 3500-6200 rpm. I stopped at Fuel Moto about a week or so ago, and Jamie created a 2nd map with some reduced timing to quell the ping. It made it better..but it still pinged. My fuel mileage did improve however, and she ran without a hiccup. Pinging has been a chronic problem on the 103 I hear on other forums. I just figure that's the nature of the beast, so I'll live with it.

I loaded the Auto Tune beta on my Power Vision, and starting the procedure was extremely easy. Once it's properly initialized, a green screen grid comes up on the PV with Map values from 0-100 on the x-axis, and rpm on the y-axis from 0-8000k (remember...this is an aircooled motor, probably no need for any more than that. I'm sure for the V-Rod it goes up to 10K... that's what I've heard anyway.

While riding, the PV shows all the cells that you've hit by combination of MAP and RPM. The goal of this game is apparently to make sure it gets readings for all throttle positions and rpm.

So... I went out and had some fun. Lots of roll ons from low rpm to redline, a lot of cruising, some bonzai runs... etc. Pretty soon, I had data in about 90% of the cells.

I then let the PV write it's map from the data, and I flashed the ECM. Quick and easy.

It works!

Throttle response and smoothness is better. Torque feels better. And ABSOLUTELY NO PINGING at all. Zip Zero Nada! Amazing. I can't make it ping if I tried... and believe me.... I tried....

I'm really happy... I'm running some more logging for it to tweak the map it created to see if it can get even better.

As soon as I can get to a windows machine to run the software to compare the two maps, I want to see what it changed. Whatever it did... it worked!

See less See more
#51 ·
Oh, and as tdkkart stated in a previous post, it will run a little funky during the auto tune. Mine would bog a little if you took off too fast. It only did it once though.

#52 ·
Nice write up, with the weather changing inTX I need to retune with my bike. Glad I went with the power vision and have the ability to do create the tunes with it.

MyPhault
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

#54 ·
I just went for a ride like normal, you know, alittle highway, some nice twisties, some hills, pass some cages, they like to hear your new pipes, some 0-90 starts, thats when you get yeld at by the po po. It was about 80 miles of pure enjoyment. Left the bike running saved the tune to slot 6, shut the bike down, turned it back on loaded slot 6 to the ECM, went in to see what the bartender was wearing ;), had a pop. Went for a ride with the new tune, I can't tell if it is any different than the excellent tune I got from Fuel-Moto, but it is alot of fun nevertheless. That's nice to know that I can shut it down and continue after a stop, I didn't know that.

#55 ·
I am liking the idea of having the PV to be able to work with the autotuning that easily. I have had a TMAX in the past and really liked it. I just wish it was a little more friendly like that. I am still on the fence about which one to get with this bike.

#56 ·
I used the auto tune basic feature with the new software after riding with the same tune all summer. I could not believe the difference and was thankful for no more pinging....

MyPhault
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

#60 · (Edited)
600 miles on my new RGU went with Power vision right off the floor.
Used a Dynojey canned map that is close to my pipes and Ac.
Bike runs good it has been a bit cool and wet rode yesterday 200 miles in rain and 35-40 degrees. Not a good test run.
I hope to learn a bit more about it and refine the tune a bit. I ride a lot so mileage comes into play, it seemed to be a bit lower than my 2011 was without a tuner.
I had not planned on mounting it but I and going to order a mount soon.
Mine came from HD dealer part of the package buying the new bike. Wish I had the Fuel moto deal. I wonder if you purchase the advance auto tune package from them if you can get their maps?

#69 · (Edited)
I wonder if you purchase the advance auto tune package from them if you can get their maps?

Fuel Moto customer service is top notch. Give 'em a call and ask. My money's on "yes".

After reading this whole thread I can't wait for my PV to arrive tomorrow. I wish I'd ordered the mount though. It sounds like it would be nice having it mounted on the bike. Also, have we heard from anyone running auto tunes using the Pro version with the wide band 02 sensors? I't's on my list of winter upgrades but some first hand knowledge/feedback as compared to the basic version would be great.

#62 ·
I have one on its way from fuelmoto and can't wait to start trying out the basic auto tune. I found on my 08 streetglide that Jamie's tune had allot of spark knock when using 91octane gas. I hope I'll be able to fix that on my own with the PV and basic auto tune on my 12 roadglide custom.

#70 ·
I just ordered the PV from Jaime. I'm getting SE-255 cams installed with 2:1 Rush Full System and I've already added the SE Ventilator. Going from stage -1 AC and Rush tru-duals. These changes would normally require a dyno run for several hundred $$$ but I'm going to try the PV first. I'm not a real aggressive rider so an exact tune won't be needed. Most of my riding is on back roads requiring accelerating and decelerating on a fairly regular basis. Some hiway riding (with cruise). We don't have many mountains in Florida and the trip to Utah next year may require me to change the tune. Trips to various dyno shops should not be required for that trip now. I may also add the Auto-Tune module for future riding.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.:D

#71 ·
Well after much reading on several web sites and forums it seems this is the way to go I think I will order one next week and it seems everyone here like fuel moto so I will probably use them even though I have found it cheaper on other sites. has anyone anything negative to add on this device? It seems everyone loves it. well I will keep reading but this seem to be the one to get even my service manager where i bought my bike suggested it.:confused:

#72 ·
I will probably use them even though I have found it cheaper on other sites.
The few extra dollars you might spend will pay off over time. Lots of outfits offering the super low prices are here today and gone tomorrow. Fuel Moto's customer service is second to none. Call with a question and they patiently answer it, ending the conversation only when they are satisfied that you are satisfied. Extended warranties, free maps, etc. All worth a few extra dollars, IMO. Also, when you call, ask about current specials. They are always offering package deals.

#73 ·
Would like to hear what your gas mileage is like now.

QUOTE:
I loaded the Auto Tune beta on my Power Vision, and starting the procedure was extremely easy. Once it's properly initialized, a green screen grid comes up on the PV with Map values from 0-100 on the x-axis, and rpm on the y-axis from 0-8000k (remember...this is an aircooled motor, probably no need for any more than that. I'm sure for the V-Rod it goes up to 10K... that's what I've heard anyway.

While riding, the PV shows all the cells that you've hit by combination of MAP and RPM. The goal of this game is apparently to make sure it gets readings for all throttle positions and rpm.

So... I went out and had some fun. Lots of roll ons from low rpm to redline, a lot of cruising, some bonzai runs... etc. Pretty soon, I had data in about 90% of the cells.

I then let the PV write it's map from the data, and I flashed the ECM. Quick and easy.

It works!

Throttle response and smoothness is better. Torque feels better. And ABSOLUTELY NO PINGING at all. Zip Zero Nada! Amazing. I can't make it ping if I tried... and believe me.... I tried....

I'm really happy... I'm running some more logging for it to tweak the map it created to see if it can get even better.

As soon as I can get to a windows machine to run the software to compare the two maps, I want to see what it changed. Whatever it did... it worked!

#74 ·
mpg went from 44 to 46. I wasn't babying it either.

#76 ·
IMHO, MPG/Fuel Mileage is one of those things you really cant go by on what number someone else gives you. People ride in different ways. I can get 40+ MPH, but not riding the way I usually do putting around "solo". When you spend a lot of time @ 85 MPH + on the highway you're not gonna get that kind of mileage. If you're ripping it around town not gonna happen either. I know a lot of guys who's bike has never seen over 3K RPM's in any gear, and they usually ride around at 2K RPM's, "to me" that's lugging the motor. But hey I'm no expert.

The PV has many great features as have been discussed in quite a few threads here, and the auto tune feature is pretty slick, you can auto tune to your hearts delight, or have god himself dyno your bike, but if you ride a certain way you will not get the great gas mileage a lot of guys speak of.

Just my $0.02

I'm happy with 35-40 with the way that I ride.

#80 ·
Exactly!
I asked a question, and got a straightforward answer.
The important part of the response was that you saw an increase in mileage.

I've only recently begun thinking about a tuner, and was initially concerned that they ONLY dumped more fuel--resulting in an inevitable decline in mpg.

I'm now understanding that this isn't the case, with a good tune.

So thanks for your input.

#79 · (Edited)
I Didn't mean to come across like I was POed, but I guess maybe it sounded that way....Just thought I would clarify. Sorry..buy ya a beer at Shark Week III

#82 ·
FYI, we have now introduced our Power Vision Value Bundle. With every Power Vision purchase Fuel Moto now includes our PV Value Bundle which features a FREE Fuel Moto articulating handlebar mount and FREE Dynojet Visor kit, this is a $44.00 value. This allows users to easily and quickly mount and remove their Power Vision when doing tuning runs or simply displaying data. As always when you purchase from Fuel Moto we will program the PV with a Fuel Moto calibration for your setup, we offer unlimited support, and your PV is guaranteed to be the latest unit with the newest firmware and updates.

Here are a couple pics of the complete bundle as well as the PV with FM bar mount and visor as mounted.

#83 ·
I got in on this deal, along with the Fuel Moto Intake. I also ordered set of Vance and Hines Power Duals and Monster Ovals. Thanks Jamie. Wife bought me a new mechanic's stool a couple weeks ago. This really came in handy for the install. Love the way this set up sounds, very mellow. I do have one question. How water proof is this tunner? the reason I ask, is here on Guam, it can be sunny on minute and pouring rain the next. Any thing I need to worry about?

#87 ·
The PV unit is potted & sealed and is weather resistant. I do however recommend removing it while riding it in rain and while washing the bike.

#85 ·
For those that have already purchased the Power Vision from Fuel Moto we offer a special deal for the the FM Bar Mount & PV quick release/visor kit for $24.95 + $5.95. For details or to order you can contact us at 877-729-4754

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.