Road Glide banner

Another poor man's ventilated windshield mod

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  FLHTPtoFLTRU 
#1 · (Edited)
You've seen a couple of these types of mods, but I think this is the cleanest setup.

A friend of mine, who is considering selling these as a kit, did the design and prototyping work, I'd say that I'm the first "production" implementer.

Basically he gets 3-4 feet of this round plastic stock. Then he uses his lathe to get it down to the diameter you see in the pics, and he cuts pieces down to 1", and he taps the threads into it. He's not sure what exactly the material is, but it *does* accept Loctite, and it is recommended for the long bolt and for the acorn nut as well.

It uses a stainless philips head bolt which you attach from the inside of the outer fairing.

Because of the geometry, of course it does require that you widen the 4 holes on either side of center. This is a matter of (careful) trial and error with a 1/4" round file.

In addtion to the 1" barrel stock, he creates three thickness of spacers, thin, medium and thicker, and gave me 5 of each. These are for the outside between the acorn nut and the shield. He gave me chrome and brass acorn nuts. I used chrome.

I used the thin spacers as a washer on the inside of the fairing.

I used two thicker spacers on the left and right most outer bolts, and mediums for the 3 middle ones. Here are some pics and the final results.

Some observations - I used a 13" LRS Mako dark shield. Second, I would say that before this mod, I had no problems with wind turbulence, the LRS Mako is a great shield! However, I would say that there was some improvement in wind turbulence, so its a win there.

And, I think it looks KILLER.

Here we go, whaddayall think?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Well, your powers of observation are legion.

Yes, I'm aware that there's another thread like this, thats why I said "another".

Also, the very first sentence in this post is:

You've seen a couple of these types of mods, but I think this is the cleanest setup.
This is a different approach, different hardware, etc.

Sorry to have bothered you, but next time I encourage you to read, and if you still disapprove, well I guess haters gonna hate.

Nice to know the uniqueness police are on the job.

#7 ·
Enough of the blah blah ... Tell us the results bucket!?! How's it feel ? I think it look PDG from the pics
Thanks, I like the way it looks. I've had a chance to put a couple hundred on it since the mod. My initial observations hold up - I didn't have a big buffeting/turbulence problem to begin with, but I do think it improves the wind flow for the rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.