Road Glide banner

California riders beware of SB1464

6K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Trboden 
#1 ·
Not sure you are aware of SB1464. This bill would give cars the right to cross over double yellow lines to give bicycles a 3 foot buffer zone. This scares the crap out of me as I already have cars cross over into my line causing me to ride the ragged edge of the shoulder to get out of their way.

We can not let this pass for our own safety. No need to give cars more reasons to hunt us down.

Call your Assemblyman

#5 ·
What scares me is you can split lanes!
Oh, yeah!!!! Whenever I get down into LA county there is always some knucklehead splitting lanes at 85 MPH on the 5. Is it any wonder that many people have disdain for motorcyclists.... I do and I ride the darn things!

#4 ·
The thing that I find interesting is that bicyclists break the law more than anyone. Here in West Los Angeles they blow through stop signs without even looking and they often cut off traffic when they do it. Many of the things they do would land you a citation if you were a pedestrian but the police don't enforce any laws when it comes to bicycles. A friend of mine collided a bicycle on PCH in Malibu last year while riding his Harley. They guy on the bike rode into him but my friend got sued and had to pay big bucks. One day a cyclist will get killed and law enforcement will finally start cracking down on them.

#16 ·
Seems to be the same everywhere. Here in Louisville it is almost unbelievable how bicyclists ride without regard to anyone or anything. Too many narrow curvy roads where bicyclists, who mostly are only out for a pleasure ride, cause tremendous backups in both directions because they are exercising their "right" to ride on any damn road. While I would never intentionally collide with one in my cage or on my bike I don't cut them any slack. And sooner or later one of these a**holes is going to get nailed passing me on the right when I am making a right turn from a stop cause I don't give no stinking turn signal to no stinking pedaler who ain't paying attention and who doesn't
feel the need to stop for a light or stop sign.

#9 ·
I have a friend who is a local cop and he made my day on time by telling me another cop stopped 13 bicycles for running a stop sign, then sited them for no ID's. My new hero.

As far as lane splitting goes. air cooled engines need air. I made the mistake of riding in Santa Monica on Cinco de Mayo one year and all the traffic caused my Harley to start backfiring. Luckily as I lane split to the front of the line at a light, a motor officer was directing traffic and stopped everyone to let me go. Once I got to 35mph, the bike ran great.

On the freeways here, you have to split to save your life at times. But I don't split if the traffic is moving over 30-35mph. Trouble is, it can come to a dead stop for minutes at a time and that isn't good for my bike.

#10 ·
The same idiotic law recently passed in Pennsylvania. I ride a bicycle too but I stay aware of traffic and I get the heck off the roadway when cars are coming. Those hydrocephalic imbeciles couldn't be bothered moving aside or heaven forbid, slow down a bit. They should consider a point system for hitting them (just kidding).

#13 ·
We here in Colorado have a "3 foot" rule to avoid bicycles so i started hanging a yardstick out to the side to make sure i'm in compliance. I do feel bad when i judge poorly. ;)

#15 ·
I'm with you on that lundboy. Can't tell you how many times I've thought about cracking a cyclist in the ass for being too far out in the street. Shemp's visual had me lmao.

#19 ·
Just to add some fuel to the fire.

We don't like it when all motorcyclists are grouped into a category of trouble makers and criminals, so let's not group all cyclists together. I ride my RG but I also ride a bicycle hundreds of miles a year. I do obey the laws in Missouri; stop at Stop signs, yield, etc...

However, I also like to have a couple of feet of buffer to my left as I approach the sewer grates that will swallow my bike tires and send me to the hospital.

That said, I agree there are a lot of folks who ignore the rules and even good etiquette when on a motorcycle or bicycle.

Here is a picture of my other pride and joy.

Bicycle trainer Bicycle wheel Hybrid bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.