Road Glide banner

Definition of "Pinging" please

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ChivoChavez321 
#1 ·
I hear a constant sound like marbles, but I figured it was just the valve/tappets. I only hear it without a helmet. Increased throttle keeps the same cadence basically, so I think I am only hearing normal engine noise. I hear it if the weather is cold or hot, but seems less as the engine warms. Thanks ahead of time.

#3 ·
Throw a marble in a tin can or beer bottle and shake. Sometimes just an occasional tink-tink, sometimes louder and longer duration.

Key point is that it won't happen at idle or deceleration, rarely happens at steady speed unless under a load like up a slight grade, and you can turn it on and off/control it with the throttle. Likely won't happen on cooler days or when the bike is cold.

#4 ·
Guess its just regular engine "ticking". Thanks!:)

#6 ·
Yeah, I recognize that sound. Did a screaming eagle air intake with Supertrapp stouts thus required a remapping. Once back from the dealer, this started. The mechanic,without taking it for a ride, recognized my description and adjusted the map a bit, but it still does it. Now the dealer moved to a very inconvenient location and it makes things even more difficult. I noticed that super vs regular made a big difference. Next step is octane boost additive. That should solve the problem but i believe the remap is what messed things up.

#8 ·
I started her up in the garage and carefully listened with my ear next to the motor and heard the ticking. I talked to the tech and he said twin cams are noisy and when he took it for a test ride it sounded fine. I guess I am ok. Sorry for calling "Wolf"

#10 ·
I am going to take it to the dealer next week just to be sure. Maybe will try to do a basic autotune off the Power Vision after I talk to FM. Currently, its tuned with the tune sent to me by Jamie. at FM

#11 · (Edited)
So I went to the dealer today to have an oil temp gauge installed in place of the ambient air temp gauge which is (was) a useless POS. I did about 80 miles of datalogging on the Power Vision and flashed it. What a sweet difference that made! I still could hear the ticking so I asked the Harley Wrench about it. He said, "It could not be sounding any better"! Now I am happy.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.