Road Glide banner

Mean Mug headlight bezel - production model pics

26K views 84 replies 49 participants last post by  Taccone 
#1 ·
Here is the first "production" bezel off the line. I will be testing this one over several weeks to find its breaking point on multiple levels. I am very happy with the way they turned out, although creating them is still not as easy as I'd like,.. still a lot of labor to make a single one of these.

Off the bike

On the bike

From down low, showing how close the "brow" is to the lights

Looking down, showing no overhang or "nose" sticking out from the bike (even though it is decieving, there is nothing sticking out)

From the side

And dark with the lights on

Again, I plan to have testing done in 2-3 weeks then I will be ready to start punching these out. They will be $130, plus shipping and you will have a choice between gloss black or flat black. This is for the 2010 and up model bikes, unless equipped with the 2010 and up headlight assembly. 2009 and older bezel will be available after the first of the year. I may still offer a "DIY" kit at a much cheaper price, but I will talk about that once testing is done and Im ready to start selling these.
There will also more then likely be a couple weeks wait right off the bat, due to each one of these are made by hand one by one and do take a lot of time. Once testing is done I am going to be producing half a dozen or so to stay ahead of the game,. but unsure how fast they will sell.
More info will be posted later, including where to buy it and pictures at night showing any decrease in lighting that may occur.

If you have any other questions, please ask them here and I will answer them asap.

***UPDATE - 10/26/12***

First round of testing went down today,.. high speeds (up to 115MPH), bumpy roads (hit some wash board gravel roads), and the bezel is now sitting in the freezer until tomorrow when I'll do a cold impact test.

So far, its exceeding my expectations and Im excited. Sometime next week Im hoping to do comparison pictures and video of the lights at night to the stock bezel. That way you know exaclty how much,. if any light blockage is happening.

***UPDATE - 11/5/12***

On page 6 are pictures comparing the Mean Mug to the stock bezel light output. In comparison photos there is NO difference, so those of you that had doubts about blocking light can rest assured the mean mug bezel does not block any light output at night. These are on a stock bulb setup.

***UPDATE - 11/12/12***
please refer to newest thread reguarding preorders here
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?p=332328#post332328

See less See more
#9 ·
So if you're only making 6 of these at first, should I send you my deposit now? I'll pay in fulll along with the shipping for a gloss black one :D

#12 ·
Put me down for one also. PayPal is ready.

#14 ·
Damn, I wish you would have had these done before I bought the Yaffe Scowl and had it painted. I still may end up buying one and swapping out cause these are damn cool looking!
I like the way the Scowl's brow sticks out compared to yours, but the overall look is still way better than the Scowl's. It just has such a more menacing look to it, like a shark should

#15 ·
I'm down for a gloss black!!.PP ready.

#23 ·
yep there are 2 spots on the top of the bezel one about above each light that he uses a flat screw driver to push the tabs down a bit and then when those are out he picks up and pulls out the bottom at the same time...makes me nervous to see him go at my bike with a screw driver like that but it is a piece of cake. he is talking about posting a video of how it's done some time

#30 ·
***UPDATE***
First round of testing went down today,.. high speeds (up to 115MPH), bumpy roads (hit some wash board gravel roads), and the bezel is now sitting in the freezer until tomorrow when I'll do a cold impact test.

So far, its exceeding my expectations and Im excited. Sometime next week Im hoping to do comparison pictures and video of the lights at night to the stock bezel. That way you know exaclty how much,. if any light blockage is happening.

#32 ·
Well Chainsaw like I told you before I FOR SURE WANT ONE. I am going to try and get it painted Cool Blue Pearl to match the bike.

I have no issues waiting 3 weeks to get it. I'm parked for the winter. But I hope to have one of the first run. I'll be watching for your post.

#38 ·
Sorry, Im not offering any other color the black. Like Russell Mitchell said,.. I'll build you a bike any color you want,.. as long as its black.

Oh only 115? I'm gonna need a test done for 117 before I can be sure it meets my needs........
115 is all I can get up to on main street,... and the business owners hate it when I do it :D
I actually held that speed for several miles, meeting half a dozen or so bull haulers going the other direction. The wind wasn't blowing super hard,.. but if it can withstand the gusts those trucks put off at 115,.. Its more like 150 mph straight line winds if not more. Infact if anyone is looking to break the salt flats record anytime soon,.. I'd love to see if my bezel would hold up...

Hopefully you slowed down a little before you hit the washboard gravel roads.:eek: if not, throw out those shorts.... They'll never be the same again.
I hit the wash boards at slow speeds to get a good "josseling" and higher to get that sharp hit. It all went great.

I've only found 1 failure point so far, but I resolved that issue. Still looking good for my December 1st goal to start taking orders and shipping. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.