Road Glide banner

New Freedom Shield Review

45K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  reacher 
#1 ·
All this is considering I have only had this new 12" FS for 3 days so far I really like it , I do still have a small amount of buffeting but seems a lot cleaner than before I also have put the Harley wind deflectors on crash bar and that also helped , I really like the looks of the shield it's prolly gonna take a lot to get me to change it , I have been on a road king classic since 05 and all summer months I ride with no shield and arms in the air so this whole wind buffeting problem for everyone had me worried on my new bike but with this shield I prolly have less buffeting on this bike than I did on the king and I'm freakin diggin it so much it has made me really appreciate my bike . So with all that said I do believe that a 14" for me would prolly have even more coverage for me but I would rather keep the 12" because I like the looks and the fact I have more view over it and it really does a good job so to Freedom Shield I say NICE JOB and 2 thumbs up I'm very satisfied !!! I will post pics later this evening

#8 ·
We can see you!!!

So how does this shield compare to other shields??? If you have had others to compare it to that is. What makes it different??? Seems like everyone is getting into the RG windshield game now and they are all starting to bleed together.

#16 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum !

It looks good, I like the little bit concave that it looks and how it follows the fairing.

Give the manufacturers specs (Freedom Shield 12") and then also measure it from the lip on the speedo/ tach vertical to the top for a real life measurement. (see picture on the left measuring from the speedo / tach housing not the way the Freedom site is measuring the picture on the right)

An example is I run a Cee bailey TRSSC 16" shield but it is only 11.5" tall above the speedo/tach. Every manufacturer is a little different in the way they measure their shields.

Attachments

#14 ·
Have you run other windshields to compare this one to. Also, how tall are you? I'm 6'4" and just put on a 12' dark tint Mako (also have the HD wind deflectors) and although initially I thought this would be all I needed I probably should have gone 1-2" taller.

#15 ·
I like the looks of the shield how is it at night when your popping those Arkansas hills and the front of the bike comes up or you looking through the dark shield I came off a o6 rk classic nice ride and post what you want to share we dont have to read it or respond to it all good you doing fine

#24 ·
I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam and as far as shields I've had the wind splitter and it wasn't good above 60 mph , I used the windvest for a few days and it gave me a swirl right on top of my head , the FS seems to b a little wider right above mirrors than wv cause I don't get that air hitting me on cheeks , and as far as me getting my panties in a wad how u say that I'm not sure I just felt like u were telling me I was blowing up MY thread with pics and I like most people wanna see all angles before I decide on what choice ill make so I thought people would enjoy seeing those pics , maybe it was too much but it damn sure sounded like a smart ass reply to me ( we can see you !!! ) and I was polite in saying I would shut up and not start this childish fret back and forth so ONCE AGAIN I apologize if I offended anyone but BACK the F off me slick . To the other question about popping over these Arkansas hills with this shield is good and I look over and through it just fine but I have also been riding these hills for 30 yrs and that makes a difference

#25 ·
I'm sure the, "we can see you!!" was because your face was in the mirror. I'm sure it was all in fun. Smart azz maybe, but all in jest I'm sure. From what I can tell this board has playfull posters not critical posters like some other boards.

All the pictures are a big plus. You did fine. I'm sure there are a bunch very interested in this shield.

#28 ·
I bought my first Harley last summer. It is an 05 Road Glide. 88 cubes with a power module, Rineharts, 12 inch shocks and a low profile seat. I will probably ride a "Glide" until they take away my little round Harley key. I say that, because for years I didn't understand what the fuss was all about riding a HD. I know now:cool:

My RG looks a lot like the Street Glide (just hard bags and back rest for the rider and driver and the 1 inch shorter shocks). All that said, it had an original HD shield on it when I bought it. I had to look through the shield most of the time... the turbulence, buffeting and windshield shaking was aggravating. I picked up a 6 inch Klock Werks black opaque and ran it for awhile late last summer. It was interesting and looks good on the Black Pearl paint. The problem with on the road and cool weather is, you still get a pretty good blast of air, but it obviously does not buffet and the wind is more stable. I often ride with a full face on long distance and usually ride with a 3/4 in town and putting around with and without face shields. Long and short of this story. The 6 inch KW is nice for around town and short runs. After wearing out a tape measure and reading about 37 ariticles on windshields for the Road Glide, I decided to order the 12 inch Freedom Shield. A little background on the Freedom Shield. It is made of Acrylic; great optical quality and is also made from 3/16" material with rounded edges. I ordered the dark smoke, because I like the darker shade (looks better aesthetically and bugs, dirt and minor scratches don't show up as much). You can also polish the acrylic if you do get a minor scratch. I hope this doesn't stir the controversy up concerning the flexibility of Lexan / Polycarbonate over Acrylic (Plexiglass). I have a background in aviation maintenance and that industry has had Plexiglass (Acrylic) around for a long time.

I didn't mean to go into a long discussion here, but I did. I am a little over 5'7" and have a 32 inseam. After all my calculations, I expect to have the top of the windshield about 2 inches below my straight line of vision... we will see.

I am new to posting on this site, but will try to post a couple pics of the 6 inch Klock Werks and the 12 inch Freedom Shield after it arrives.

#29 ·
I too bought a 12" Freedom shield. Mine is light smoke. It measures 11" from the top of the speedometer housing and falls just below my line of sight. I am just under 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I have to say that it is the best in quality of any shield I have ever had. I have had 3 different shields on this 2013 RGC and I am staying with this one, primarily because the wife is now happy because she no longer gets blasted with lots of wind which kept blowing her contact around. The last shield I had was the 15" H-D Windsplitter which measured 1/2" lower than the 12" Freedom shield. I tried the 14" Freedom but sent it back because I couldn't see over it and had to look through it all the time. You can see the Freedom shields on their website freedomshields.net . I have to say that John was great to work with and he even sent me the last shield with no charge for shipping. He and his wife are the sole owners and operators of this business and make every windshield themselves. The shields look good, work good and are of the highest quality material. The shields also come with the well nuts already in place so all you have to do is pull out the old well nuts and insert the new windshield!

#30 ·
Morif... I agree with your assesment of the Freedom Shield operation. I studied long and hard on getting the 10 or 12 inch. I decided on the 12 and just ordered it off the website. I received an email personally (not a form letter type response) from John later that day telling me they would not be able to ship for 3 to 5 days, due to their work load and volume. That told me two things, 1) they are selling a few of these shields, and 2) that he cared enough to follow-up with an email. He also said he would like a follow-up email after I install it... and that tells me he is not afraid to stand behind his product. The price was very competetive compared to other shields... about middle of the curve actually. More later... Ken.

#31 ·
Great info! Trying to narrow down choices, and Freedom is a shield that I've heard coming up again and again. I like the sporty looks of a contoured shield, but time to put vanity aside and look for what is going to make a comfortable ride.

@Morif.. please post some pics once you get yours and let us know how it works!

#34 ·
@beracing... I getting ready to "try" and post some pics of my brand spanking new 12 inch dark smoke Freedom Shield on my 05 FLTRI... I think you will be OK with the looks of the shield. I was running a 6 inch sporty looking shield... It is great in town and OK if you like the wind. The redirected wind flow is something you will GREATLY appreciate. The stability of the shield is fantastic. John with Freedom Shields will make sure you are satisfied with the quality and fitment to the bike. I know first hand. The new wellnuts he sent are of excellent quality as well... It is the small things that make a difference in customer service and satisifactioin... OK, I will try to post some pictures now :)

#32 ·
Would be interested in hearing from someone with this shield on an Ultra. Do a LOT of two up and if Mamma's not happy... well, you know! I know there's quite a few out there that will protect the rider just fine, but the BSR is still getting beat to hell. Thanks for any input!

Scott

#33 ·
Good looking shield. I run the 12" Mako medium tint and Sanchos Wings and that works for me at 5' 10" 32" inseam. I personally like a lot of different angle pictures to help with my decision. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, so to each his own. Thanks for the info.

#35 ·
Freedom Shield

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Rim

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive exterior Motorcycle

I hope this worked... my first upload!

Freedom Shields 12 inch dark smoke on a 2005 Road Glide. I like it.

I am 5'7... 30 to 32 inch inseam. The 12 inch Freedom Shield is 4 inches shorter than the HD 1002009 shield that came on my Road Glide. That translates to about 3 1/2" shorter (measured vertically). I am running 1 inch lowered shocks on my bike. I don't have the tour pack and all the extra weight running on the rear. Hope this helps. I highly recommend the Freedom Shield.

#36 ·
One More Picture

Motor vehicle Vehicle Road Mode of transport Windshield

Here is a riding position view of the 12 inch Freedom Shield Dark Smoke. I tried to hold the camera at eye level... Again, I am a little over 5'7" with a little under a 32 inch inseam. Sitting on a 2005 Road Glide with 1 inch lowered rear shocks. Do what you want, but I do not think you will be dissappointed with the quality of a windshield from Freedom, nor dissappointed with their communication and follow up with their product... Just my opinion.

Ride Safe and Keep it Vertical...

#44 ·
View attachment 21105

Here is a riding position view of the 12 inch Freedom Shield Dark Smoke. I tried to hold the camera at eye level... Again, I am a little over 5'7" with a little under a 32 inch inseam. Sitting on a 2005 Road Glide with 1 inch lowered rear shocks. Do what you want, but I do not think you will be dissappointed with the quality of a windshield from Freedom, nor dissappointed with their communication and follow up with their product... Just my opinion.

Ride Safe and Keep it Vertical...
Thanks for the feedback!! I guess you're still liking it??? I'm ready to put something on order, and I like that FS will let you "try it" and if it doesn't work, return. Just don't remove the plastic from the shield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.