Road Glide banner

Checking Crank End Play on 88CI

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BlackDangerous 
#1 ·
Hello gentleman. I am about a week away of disassembling my Glide for its 98 CI upgrade, I want to check the crank end play and I am not 100% sure how to do it and what the acceptable spec is. Can anyone here provide a good step by step for this process? I may go to a 106 CI if end play is bad. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
On the older twin cams 88 we our use to seeing 2.5/3 thou run out.
The picture is a new St.Glide with 600 miles on with 6.7 thou this is nuts what the factory is letting go..... they except up to 12 now WOW....:eek:

We get two measurements on the front of the shaft and on towards middle to rear. Make sure you clean the shaft very well. Before you check.
And use a good dial thats has not been dropped. LOL.:D
Here is example.

But its a great idea if you are that far into it and the bike has many miles on it.
That it would not hurt to have some rebuild and fix.

Also here is a pic of Feulings crankshaft runout checker if you want something easy to use.

Attachments

#4 ·
I have a really good one that I have never used. I was going to go to school for machining but then changed my mind after I bought the tools so I have a lof of nice machinist tools that have never been used that I do want to use if you know what I mean. ;) The indicator that I have is a Brown and Sharpe with a nice mag base and holder. :D since our last exchange via PM's I have decided that I am only going to split cases if run out or rods are bad. I really don't think that my run out is out of spec as I have gear drives now and there is no noise from them, but I am going to check anyways along with rods.

That looks like a nice tool from Fueling. :cool:

#3 · (Edited)
On paper, it's pretty simple. Get a dial indicator, a way to mount it, position it against the shaft and rotate.

In practice, as shown in Drago's picture you have to make sure the indicator is in the right position and doesn't move. You can spend some $$ on a precision tool you'll only use once unless you can borrow one.

It was at this stage in my gear drive conversion that I started thinking it would be a lot easier--and safer--to turn the project over to somebody who has better tools than me. It turned out my runout was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.