Road Glide banner

Activating Rear Speakers in the HK Head

10K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Nitrobrother 
#1 ·
Ok HD audio experts...
I want to take my old HogTunes Amp and install it in my Tour Pak wired to the HogTunes speakers installed there. I'll extend power back there to a combined power/speaker plug and make the entire system detachable and then follow that up with the Boom Audio bass ports, but for now, I have a few questions:

1. What's involved in activating the rear speakers on a stock HK head? Do I need to take it to the dealer?
  2. When the rears are activated, is any front/rear fader control available from the handlebar controls?
  3. Can anyone tell me from which harness connector ports I would extend wiring to the rear pods?
  4. Can the rear speaker lines be connected to the harness without dealer intervention providing rear audio, but without front/rear fader control?
  5. I'm considering having Iron Cross Audio install line level inputs for my Arc amp and change out the display to match my blue gauges. Does anyone know if they can activate the rear speakers?
Any insight appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
  1. I'm considering having Iron Cross Audio install line level inputs for my Arc amp and change out the display to match my blue gauges. Does anyone know if they can activate the rear speakers?

Iron Cross already answered my email. They say they will activate the rear at no charge with the other work I'm having done there. Cool! :cool:

#3 ·
Looks like youve got it covered, but I'll throw in my .02 I have hogtunes also, the amp I got from them takes the front 2 channels and splits it into 4, so I didnt have to mess w/ the HK.

#4 ·
Thanks JJ.
I had the HogTunes installed the way you described and there was no independent front/rear volume control. I yanked it when I installed the Arc amp and Hertz speakers. Since it's laying around and since I'm sending my HK head in to Iron Cross anyway, I figured I'd rig it up in the Tour Pak.

#5 ·
Yeh sometimes I wish I had the fader controls. It could probably still work if I got the HK program then run the amp in 4ch mode instead of 2ch

#6 ·
I'm doing it primarily because I can for free. ICR is activating the rear speakers at no additional cost. All I need to do is extend the speaker wires from the HK harness and run power to the Tour Pak through the same detachable plug.

I still need to know which HK harness plug and wires if anyone reading this thread knows.

#7 · (Edited)
I still need to know which HK harness plug and wires if anyone reading this thread knows.[/B][/QUOTE]

Shrug,
I think (IIRC) that I had to install the HD accessory harness to run the rear speakers.
It's the one from HD that also allows you to run the rest of the HK accessories like gps, intercom etc.
I will try to find the part number for you.

Here it is: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...cale=en_US&bmUID=1323722863478&bmLocale=en_US

Boom!™ Audio System Wiring Harnesses

Allow installation of Audio components on Ultra models.

70169-06A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Allows installation of Bike-to-Bike Communications, Intercom, XM® Satellite Radio Kit or Rear Speaker components.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHX, FLHTC, FLTR, FLTRX and FLHXXX models equipped with Advanced Audio Radio.

MSRP US $109.95

#11 ·
ahhh this is a good thread and exactly what I want to do. I wouldn't be happy with the fairing speakers and saddle bag lid speakers on the same volume control.

Shrug, why are you sending your HK unit to ICR?? Is is malfunctining?

I'd like to activate mine as well, but don't have any other reason to send it to them. It would be nice to know how to do it ourselves.
Just buying the adapter will not activate the fader. The radio will need to flashed.
Iron Cross Audio has a digital tech simulator that allows them to change the radio's programing through the J1850 data line, just like the dealers.

#10 ·
ahhh this is a good thread and exactly what I want to do. I wouldn't be happy with the fairing speakers and saddle bag lid speakers on the same volume control.

I'd like to activate mine as well, but don't have any other reason to send it to them. It would be nice to know how to do it ourselves.

#12 ·

The HK is fine. I want the line level RCA jacks installed for my Arc amp and I want my LCD display modified to blue to match all my gauges. The Arc will work with amplified speaker output, but it's always better at line level. ICA is throwing in the radio flash as part of the deal.

#15 · (Edited)
This is to add Speakers to your Tour Pak. Later if you want to add the Passsenger Headset harness, the part number is 76454-06.
I have older Instruction sheets. Now Harley has it listed "Not Sold Separately" but I have it. lol

The Rear Speakers Kit Part Number before the Boom Speakers is 77155-06. You may be able to get these at a discount as they are opsolete.
The Speaker Fader Flash is not charged by Harley Davidson, but the Dealer may charge labor. If you have a good working relationship
with your dealer, they may do the Fader Flash when you have it in for regular service. Just ask.
If they want to charge, look at a different dealer. I bet someone will do it for a better customer relations.
If they say that Harley charges for it, you will know how honest they are (or not).

All models that are not an Ultra will also require the additional purchase of a Non-Ultra Overlay Harness (70169-06) to add any extra
accessories to the H/K radio. There is a Rear Speaker harness (77157-06) for just speakers that just plugs into the Non-Ultra Harness.
The harness has the plugs that plug in the rear speakers and have the connections for the switches in the speakers too.

Now don't be fooled with the talk about the cheaper harnesses that can be used to hook up the speakers, or XM Satellite radio. (70164-06) (70172-06)
Those are for Ultra Models. The can be used, but you will need to rewire them. Unless you are good with wiring and have the Electrical service manual, don't try.

#17 ·
I also have this cable hooked to the speakers on the detachable tourpak. I don't understand how it is a quick disconnect. Am I missing something? Any pictures showing how to perform this disconnect?

Happy New Year!

#18 ·
I also have this cable hooked to the speakers on the detachable tourpak. I don't understand how it is a quick disconnect. Am I missing something? Any pictures showing how to perform this disconnect?
I bought a 9-pin connector kit from Fry's and built my cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.