Road Glide banner

thoughts about 21 inch wheels

41K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  RiverRat77 
#1 ·
Im spending tons of time online and reading here since wrecking my bike a few weeks ago,its pretty much all i can do.So Ive started looking for my parts I need,and it looks like I might need a front wheel.So i started thinking about a 21 then i had alot of questions.Does it change the ride of my bike i have a 16 now.what do i need to do to make the swap?I love the stability of my bike will it change?Has anyone heard of southern mc wheels and what do the think about them?Does any one have pics of a 21 with stock fender

#2 ·
Some people say that you must lower the front to bring it back to stock for the ride to be good. I put a 21" on and love the ride. I did not lower it. The only thing that really changes is parking lot speed maneuvering. Under 10mph you notice it. Other than that I think it's an improvement over stock. You can run it with a stock fender you only need to drill the back holes out a bit and tilt it. That easy. Here's a pic of mine.

And another

Hope this helps, ask questions if you need too. Everyone on here helped me make my decision and I'm very happy with it.

#3 ·
The ride will be a bit stiffer over stutter bumps, but overall I think they carve corners better (less sidewall flex). I haven't put my 21 back on my new bike yet and i miss the way it handled, I'll lower it an inch and install it once the snow flies. I too was very skeptical but I think it's a great move and you can't beat the look!

#5 ·
I love mine, handles great. I have thought about going back to a smaller diameter, but it had nothing to do with the handling, I just saw a few bikes with rear tires up front and think it would be something different.

#9 ·
Are you going to use the stock rotors or buy the matching design from whichever wheel company you use? Most of the time you'll need to use the wheel company's rotor bolts if you switch to their rotors. Most automatically include them, but don't forget to ask. Other than elongating the fender mount holes a little bit, it's a straight up swap. I'd highly recommend you consider doing the Progressive monotubes in the fork. Set it up to lower the front end 1" and that will pretty much get you back to where you started looks and handling wise, but the big gain is that the montubes transform the front end's ability to absorb stutter bumps and rough road surfaces in a corner. If you shop around they can be bought for around $260. (plus labor if not doing it yourself). Not absolutely necessary but you'll be very glad you did.

#11 ·
change ur triple trees, and bolt on a 23!
21 is bout standard now, and if you have the dredded 'Wobble' from ur stock confriguation changing ur triple trees will fix it permanent.
I replaced my triple tree bottom plate and bearings last winter. Bearings were rusted and my mechaninc COULD NOT get the bottom triple tree (stock set up) apart! Hes a H.D. Certified Wrench for 25 years!!! hHe said he NEVER saw a triple tree like that b/4.
21? yeah-Cool. 23? go that rte.
just my .02 $

#12 · (Edited)
I answer this question numerous times daily for customers. I think it is very subjective as we are all different but I will always go at least 21" and never look back. The 18" will have a tad bit more stability but at the same time the looks of the 21" is so much nicer. We usually do a 120 tire on the front which will allow the biek to fall into corners that much easier as opposed to the 130 that is the stock width, however Harley has come out with a 130/60/18 front tire as well if you want the wider with.

Let's think about it this way. If you ride daily you will adapt very quickly. If you only ride once a month or however often it will take a little bit longer to get used to the wheel. The larger rolling mass of the 21" wheel will steer a tad bit slower but it is really only noticeable at parking lot speeds. For me the 21" is the3 minimum size. Let's make these sharks shine!

#15 ·
Most people that have newer baggers (09 and newer) that I deal with get a 17x6.25 for the rear with a 200/50/17 Metzeler ME880. With this combo the rear of your bike will be at the same height as stock if you run a 16x5 with a stock tire and the wheel is a little bit wider and 1" larger in diameter. The other option is an 18x5.5 with a 180/55/18 which will put the rear of your bike about 3/4" higher than the stock wheel.

For aftermarket wheels the rear options for newer baggers are 16x5.5 if you want to continue to run your stock tire, 17x6.25 or 18x5.5. With a 19x3 the wheel is a little bit narrower and the tire is a 120 vs the stock 130 on your 18x3.5 With a 21 you can get the new Harley 130/60/21 or a 120/70/21 which is 10mm narrower or about .37 or an inch. Most people opt for the 120 Metzler which has a load rating of 68 which is great for baggers.

The 130 Dunlop is usually bought by people only doing their front wheel and retaining the stock dunlop on the rear.

#16 ·
When I wear out my 120/70/21 Metzeller on the front I'm going back with the new Dunlop 130/60/21 likes on the new CVO Softail. I like the fatter look.

#30 ·
That's a good looking wheel. Hope u saved a little bit of $$ so when the seasons over u can buy it in a 23. :p They look awesome on ur machine. Congrats

#34 ·
you dont have to unless u do a 26. I have a 23 and stock trees no problems at all.

you wont find anything, if u wanna google stuff, google, Fresno Halfway run, Rare Breed Weekend, Soul Brothers weekend. stuff like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.