Road Glide banner

New Ticking at 6100

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mitchdm 
#1 ·
After 30 HD's gotta say a bit flustered on this one ~ the 12 RGC CVO has a new Tick from the rear head. I have a 10 Ultra with a 103 and 71k on the clock, had an 06 SE Ultra with 93k on the clock ~ yes I bought em new and put all of the miles on them. Both of the ultras were not uncommon for me as far as miles ~ Sold RK's that had never had a single issue just below the 100k mark... So I have had the Skunk less than two months and I have 6100 miles on it and yesterday a new Tick... I double checked heat shields, and anything else that might be a minor/quick fix... Then I dig around the tool box and find my Stethescope... Yep, Rear Cylinder ~ No codes thrown, great oil pressure ~ just a new tick. The dealer had the bike 8 months (his demo) and had 110 Stage III'd it. So it has 10.5/1 Pistons/Rings/259e's and unfortunately the "perfect fit" push Rods. On both of my 103's I had the rear exhaust valve guide come at 40k/80 on the SE Ultra and at 30k on the 10 Ultra LTD. The 10's Heads were the Replaced with FM type b's, 777's, Feuling Camplate/Oil Pump.... No more issues. I have an appointment with the boutique today to resolve the issue and the dreaded 35-40 mph handlebar wobble. Took everything I could do yesterday not to disassemble my top end. I built the motor in my 10 and enjoy the work. Do all my own work since everytime someone else touches it I have to resolve the issues they have caused. I am not impressed with most mechanics attention to detail or lack of using a torque wrench on a fastener in sequence... So I have a Noticable New Tick ~ Not in the Primary ~ had four compensators replaced on the 10 so the compensator/primary noise is one I am familiar with. According to the Stethescope it is originating form the Head/Jug of the Rear Cylinder. I will keep ya posted on the boutiques conclusion. Since they do not ride 30 -40k per year their sense of urgency does not normally meet my standard, guess we'll see. A bit flustered at this point and hope the 110 meets my expectations, overall the 103's did a good job, sad thing is that I have meet evo owners on baggers that have never been into the motors with six digits or more on the clock. The Evo's I rode I never had to go into... I understand the new emission standards but you would think for the money we all spend on these things that the MoCo could at least put a quality product under our tails. I should not have to add aftermarket items and or Screamin Eagle parts to make my motor more dependable.... On a side note I have already sent a set of 110 heads to Jamie at Fuel moto to rework, my thought was when I hit the 30 to 40k mark next year I would have a set ready to bolt on... Did not realize I would not even make 7k on the clock.... I love this RG, and worse case scenario I can and will install a 120r or upgrade the components I have in the 110 till it is at least as quiet as my 103's.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I first saw the thread I thought you had a tick at 6100 rpm, I'm thinking WTH...lol, I understand your feelings about people working on your bike, after what i went through earlier this year I'm on the same page with you. I'll be following to see the turn out.

#3 ·
So the Skunk sits at the boutique ~ here is the short of it ~ Fist Fight to get them to Adjust the neck bearings (we'll see if the wobble gets resolved) won't know if I won that one or not till I pick it up. They tried to explain to me that is a maintenance issue and I should pay for it. I politely explained to them it was a safety issue and I would not be paying for it ~ I would do the work myself before I paid.... Round two ~ tech diagnoses bike with "Excessive Valve Train Noise from rear cylinder. My guess is the got that from me ;)~ anyhow they seen to think I have a lifter issue ~ I'm not so sure on this since my stethoscope said it was a valve/rockerarm/or pushrod... But I am awaiting the tear down so they can resolve and get me riding again. Crazy thing is I rode 20 miles there and no loss of power ~ so kind of interesting. Could be a lifter just would surprise me ~ the other discussion was over the Stage III ~ they had to verify with the VIN that the bike was still eligible for the factory/extended warranty with the work being completed at the dealership it was purchased from... The skunk was the dealer's demo so I was confident the paperwork was all correct, And fortunately for me the dealer demo I purchased the administrative work had been done appropriately ~ I'll keep ya posted ~ SemperFi

#4 ·
So the call comes ~ replace lifters ~ slight improvement ~ So next week we go into the Cam Cover and see what else is amiss ~ even to loud for the boutique to turn it loose ~ now I'm thinkin ~ Billet Camplate/Hi Flow Oil Pump/Hydraulic Lifters/Screamin Adjustable Push Rods since we are there... We'll see what the verdict is....

#5 ·
Is it a constant noise or does it come in at a certain rpm? My 96 ticks between 2200 and about 2600. Quite on either side of that. I replaced lifters and adjusted pushrods a few times with no luck. No loss in power, Just annoying. BTW the dealer said it was normal...go figure.

#6 ·
Constant ~ Cold Hot all RPM's ~ I am on my 30 HD and had many TwinCams ~ never heard a racket like this ~ way beyond normal.... My 103 in the LTD makes a little racket ~ sounds like a typical HD ~ this one sounds way different and is definitely a new noise ~ SemperFi

#7 ·
Constant ~ Cold Hot all RPM's ~ I am on my 30 HD and had many TwinCams ~ never heard a racket like this ~ way beyond normal.... My 103 in the LTD makes a little racket ~ sounds like a typical HD ~ this one sounds way different and is definitely a new noise ~ I suggested a leakdown test but apparently parts swapping is a more efficient method of diagnosing...:cool:

#8 ·
Interesting thread. I talked to a RK owner yesterday with a 2010. He had a ticking like you are describing. He took it in under warranty and the diagnosis is that a lifter came apart. HD is replacing the engine due to internal damage. He was just about a week from the warranty expiring when it happened.

#9 ·
Glad to hear he got it covered ~ they did replace the lifters ~ racket still exists ~ I always buy the seven year extended unlimited mileage warranty ~ I have always come out ahead due to the 40k a year I roll. On my 06 they spent over 9k on the bike under the extended and when sold there were two more years to go. On my 10 that I just sold the new owner has 4 years left and in the first year under the extended I had the Camplate/Cams/Oil Pump/PushRods/Lifters/Radio replaced with one back tire under tire and wheel. So if ya ride the extended is a worthwhile endeavor ~ the 12 is still at the boutique ~ We should have a diagnosis today ~ we'll see

#10 ·
I had one of the oil jets clog causing not enough lubricant to get to the rear cylinder, that caused a ticking about a minute after the engine started, have they removed the head covers and checked the oil flow?

#11 ·
So the Skunk sits in my garage ~ My life is back to normal:) The final Diagnosis after replacing the lifters was the Cam Drive Retention Bolt Sheered off ~ This is the bolt that hold the large sprocket when you are looking at your camplate. The Bolt was sheered at the lower end way up in the Camplate ~ so the remainder of it had to be drilled out ~ the bike is quiet again and runs great ~ took it about 80 miles to double check. Thanks for the support and ideas ~ once again I heard " We've never seen this before "... When the bolt was removed you could not tell it was missing the last 3/8 of an inch at a glance. The Tech had another tech come over to assist in finding the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.