Road Glide banner

JRI Shocks Ordered

12K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  getrdone 
#1 ·
I just ordered a set of JRI Shocks from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. These are comparable to Ohlins shocks, adjustable dampling and rebound as well as sag/pre-load. I will review them after installation and break-in.

#4 ·
Say Hi to Howard for John in CT waiting for the JRI's! Welcome to the Shark Tank, I've enjoyed your posts on the HDForum.
Sportyscoop

#5 ·
ordered a set of JRI's with remote

Invested a bit of time with Howard originally to discuss replacing my progressive 440's with Ohlins. When I hung up I had ordered the JRI's with the remote hose setup. I went large looking to resolve the crappy suspension issues I have been experiencing for the past 18 months. The 440's did not seem to hold up as well as I hoped and despite no external signs of failure they clearly had given up the ghost.
Have to see what the JRI' do for me.

#6 ·
JRi shocks

I have had mine on for 2 weeks. Fantastic. Went to Lonestar Rally this week, 180 miles round trip. I did not mention to wife I had installed them. She noticed and said they are muuuucch better. Neither of us ever had to lean forward off of back rest. I got the 12" A from Howard. He preset them and I have not adjusted or measured sag. Ride great one and 2 up so far and they are not broken in.

#7 ·
my 12" JRI B's ride sweet the more mile I get on them , I think we all will be very happy with our choices

#9 ·
You would think HD would put a decent shock on em ~ I ended up with the 940's off of the 10 LTD and really like em ~ I'm going to the P cartridges up front with a 2" Drop ~ hopin to get rid of the ole man ride ~ I'm sure the Ohlins & JRI's are quality products also. I went the progressives due to convenience and the lifetime warranty ~

#11 ·
JRI B 13" review

I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John

#12 ·
I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John
Glad they're working out for you. I ordered the same ones and they should be in soon. :D

#13 ·
JRI Sweep valve

I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John

#14 ·
Sweep Valve

I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John
Nope! No senior moment. My JRI B's have 44 clicks from fully closed to fully open. Set at 16 clicks Counter-Clockwise from fully closed. Just had to make sure.

John:rolleyes

#17 ·
I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. have not had the jri's on for very long as yet but they really tightened up the ride. granted the progressives on the rear were pretty much shot so I did not start from a level field. that being said the build quality and ride of the jri's have been as promised by Howard. I got a sweet deal on mine and had I been faced with paying the advertised amount I would have likely chosen the online since the remotes where cheaper that the jri's. but the jri's appear to be manufactured from a better grade of materials which may normally drive the price higher than the onlins. no matter what they are expensive. given my experience with the progressive 440's I would skip the interim step and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.

#18 ·
I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. ... and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.
Put in my order today for the Progressive Monotube stock height shocks.
Thank you for the advice. Hope to find the time over the holidays to install.

#20 ·
Got my JRI's on, was a nice morning with Howard and a couple of buddies there. What a difference in the ride, wow. Need to get some miles on these to break them in then re-adjust, was 2-up today and the bike rides like a cadillac. Worth every damn penny, and Howard was great to deal with as usual.

FM :cool:

#21 ·
Howard is great and you will love the shocks

#26 ·
Two-Up Ride

Its been a while since installing the JRI-B's and all my riding has been single until yesterday after work. I took the wife out for a ride around the shoreline and through the back roads for our first Two-Up ride on the JRI-s. Let me tell you, they are GREAT! :D It's amazing what real shock absorbers feel like. No bottoming out, rough pot-hole patches were sucked up and spit out! There were no instances where we felt those head rattling, stomach lurching attacks of the old air shocks.

Thank You Howard!

#31 ·
Howard is absolutely the best suspension guy I've ever spoke to. I went with the JRI "I", and love them. The only issue I've had is my own learning curve with suspension settings, but Howard has been more than helpful with explaining everything, and explaining it again...and again... and again. :D

I only wish he was closer. :)

But yes.... Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com

#33 ·
Really depends on what you buy. There are several different JRI systems available. Some are as virtually as simple as install and ride. Something like what I bought, has a number of different settings. All depends on what you're interested in.

I think all of them, you have to set the "Sag" which isn't hard. Outside of that I'm not sure, but if you go to Howard's website it walks you thru everything.

#35 ·
I saw Howard yesterday , I rode up to Leesburg with a buddy that bought a set of JRi Shocks and had them installed , will be back tomorrow . Howards info is at www.motorcyclemetal.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.