Road Glide banner

Any Recommendations / Suggestions about "Biker Gel" or "Memory" foams?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  13FLTRX 
#1 · (Edited)
Any Recommendations / Suggestions about "Biker Gel" or "Memory" foams?

You guys have probably seen all the claims back and forth about foam seats, gel seats, this, that, and the other thing.

Getting ready to modify my new solo seat with my local auto-upholstery guy, using some exotic leather just on the seating panel. Got to talking about the foam inside. He says he has access to gel and has done three seats in that material before. Then there's memory foam, which I guess is a premium foam we could pick up somewhere.

Then there's the cheap crap laying around his shop which is probably the same thing that's stuffed inside there now. I'd sure appreciate any input from anybody who has put a few miles on one or the other seat stuffing other than the standard foam. Thanks.

#3 ·
You guys have probably seen all the claims back and forth about foam seats, gel seats, this, that, and the other thing.

Getting ready to modify my new solo seat with my local auto-upholstery guy, using some exotic leather just on the seating panel. Got to talking about the foam inside. He says he has access to gel and has done three seats in that material before. Then there's memory foam, which I guess is a premium foam we could pick up somewhere.

Then there's the cheap crap laying around his shop which is probably the same thing that's stuffed inside there now. I'd sure appreciate any input from anybody who has put a few miles on one or the other seat stuffing other than the standard foam. Thanks.
Pro pad gel pads in mooresville nc. I used one on a RK for over 30k miles ,its the real deal.:D

I like my stock seat on th RGU for now (11k miles) when it breaks down and it will i will go to pro pad for a insert. They sell the over pads or will insert in your seat.
I have no affiliation with this co but they were good to deal with in my case , and there product works.

#6 ·
I heard gel doesn't "breath" and your butt sweats. I don't know if this is true, but stands to reason.

#7 ·
Gel

Went to gel for driver and rider. No comparison and the butt does not sweat. Standard seat foam is cut out and gel pad put in with new foam over - air passes through so it does not sweat. Fixed my broke a$$ bone from the word go!

#9 ·
I opted for the gel insert, when I ordered my LePera seat, and am very pleased with it. Most comfortable seat I've ever owned.

Vendors who downplay gel, because it doesn't "breathe", are basically full of shit. Think about it. Your seat is covered with waterproof vinyl for crying out loud. That's the first thing your butt comes in contact with. What's beneath it isn't going to "breathe", no matter what it's made of. Lots of businesses like to downplay products they can't, or choose, not to offer. Take it with a grain of salt.

For keeping your rear end cool, it's hard to beat a sheepskin pad, that allows air to circulate between you, and the seat.JMO.

Jeff

#11 ·
I opted for the gel insert, when I ordered my LePera seat, and am very pleased with it. Most comfortable seat I've ever owned.
Thanks, Jeff. I am leaning toward the gel myself, and found a website where it looks like one can buy just the gel insert.

Check out Mean City Cycles, they do a great job on seats
Thanks for the recommendation, RDGL2009. I looked at their website and I bet they do an awesome job! Still, I'm going to keep the business in town and take it to a local lowrider/hotrod upholstery guy.

- George

#10 · (Edited)
Seats

Check out Mean City Cycles, they do a great job on seats and have different types to work with. A lot of members on this site have used them and are happy with the results, including me. Yes they do advertise on this website, but they are pretty good at what they do and easy to work with.

#13 ·
I opted for gel insert in my C&C solo, then took off with it without even a break in on a 10,000 mile trip over 17 days. I road up to 17 hours per day without any fanny fatigue at all. One thing with gel, though - it will heat up quite quickly when the bike is left in the sun for a bit. The dissipation of heat is pretty damn slow, so covering it, like when you stop for lunch, is highly recommended.

#14 ·
Like Risky business said, I also use a Buttbuffer pad.. The driving experience is a lot more comfortable like this.

Getting ready to modify my new solo seat with my local auto-upholstery guy, using some exotic leather just on the seating panel. Got to talking about the foam inside. He says he has access to gel and has done three seats in that material before. Then there's memory foam pad, which I guess is a premium foam we could pick up somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.