Road Glide banner

Sturgis 2013, after SW3!!

9K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  NORSEMAN 
#1 ·
A few members expressed interest in heading to Sturgis after SW3, it might be a tad soon to start the official planning but I thought it would be a good idea to plant seed now.

I'm open to either a flat 2 day run to Sturgis (around 950 miles) or a "Gypsy tour" style ride that includes the must ride roads and end up in Sturgis for 3ish days.

Lets start with whos interested and then we can hammer our the details. I suspect we will want to have our plans ironed out in the next month or 2 and reservations made around / before January.

This will be my first Sturgis / West coast trip but I cant imagine a better group of folks to share the experience with!!!!

Dan

#3 ·
I'm open to either a flat 2 day run to Sturgis (around 950 miles) or a "Gypsy tour" style ride that includes the must ride roads and end up in Sturgis for 3ish days.

TWO days for only 950 miles?! Poser. :cool:

Seriously, I'd love to ride north, but will probably do Vegas instead since I was in Sturgis in 2011. There ought to be a killer route up from Utah.

#5 ·
I see plenty of the Sturgis rally on TV these days...really pisses me off that History Channel and the rest have co-opted the rally for TV ratings.
Probably won't go back 'til it's less mainstream (pissed)

#6 ·
I don't do the campground scene. These old bones need a nice bed and all the comforts.

I stayed at Cambria Suites in Rapid City this year for the Black Hills Rally. Three of us stayed in a room with two nice queen beds and a sofa sleeper. It also had two flat screen tvs. The three of us split the $250 a night. I plan to do it again unless the old lady is with me which is doubtful. My present plan is to leave SW III on Thursday morning heading to Jackson Hole, then to Cody for the night Friday, and then arrive in Rapid Saturday afternoon. I hate to leave st George a day early but I'm scheduled now to meet some running buddies there on Saturday.

#11 ·
I don't do the campground scene. These old bones need a nice bed and all the comforts.
++1 on what he said!! I'm still in Dan barring some unforeseen circumstance. I favor the Gypsy Tour approach leaving SWIII Friday morning and taking 3, hell maybe 4 days getting there. There is so much to see and do out west. Sturgis starts on Monday but as long as we get there it doesn't matter to me being there the first day. Maybe a big loop. A little PCH, the Beartooth Hwy. etc.. Guess we need to sit down and look at a map and see what would work. The PCH may be a little stretch. I'm open to about anything. I've been all over most the country but not north of I-80, especially out west.

Course a lot hinges on when we have to be back.

#7 ·
SWIII to Sturgis

Hello Dan,

I wont' be able to go to Sturgis with you but there are some places on the way there from SW III that you should not miss.

Ride US 89 North out of Utah from Logan UT. 89 will take you north through the Rocky Mtns of Wy. This route to Cody will take you past Jackson Hole and through Yellowstone in the SE corner. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the US Rocky Mountains. In the summer Cody has a rodeo almost every night, the bull riding is pretty good. Lots of places to stay and eat but you need to book well in advance for July August.

From Cody take 14 east, either old 14 or new 14 doesn't matter they both end up at Ranchester Wy. From there go north into Montana on I90 to Crow Agency and visit Little Bighorn Battlefield. My wife and kids really enjoyed the history that this place has to offer and it will make your visit to Sturgis more interesting knowing the history behind the black hills.

You can head east on US 212 to Belle Fourche SD or backtrack southeast on I90 all the way to Sturgis. The scenery along each path here is much the same, open prairie with coyotes, antelope, mule and whitetail deer.

I would also recommend a stop Devils tower on your way to Sturgis from Battle of the little Bighorn, then you do not have to backtrack to see it from Sturgis.

Take in Mt Rushmore and Crazyhorse monuments for sure, the town of Keystone is pretty cool as well. They may still have the gunfight at noon on main street, they did during 4th of July a few years ago.

Be sure to drive the needles highway, the pigtail bridges and go to Deadwood.

July and August in normal years in South Dakota are the Thunderstorm/Hail months. Hail hurts and can make a road like trying to drive on ball bearings in a very short time.

#8 ·
I'll tag along on this thread for now... I've got my room reserved at SharkWeek, but now it's looking iffy on making it. Not ready to cancel out yet. Trying to coordinate mine and the wife's schedules, then throw in two kids and summer camp, ugh, my head is spinning. :eek:

At any rate, if I can't make SW, I'd sure like to head out to the Hills and try and meet up with fellow gliders... Also, if anyone is headed through eastern South Dakota on the way back, be sure and give me a shout if you need a place to stop over.

If any of you are military (active, reserve, retiree), another affordable lodging option in Rapid City is the inn or campground at Ellsworth AFB.

#9 ·
If any of you are military (active, reserve, retiree), another affordable lodging option in Rapid City is the inn or campground at Ellsworth AFB.
Don't know if it would matter but I've heard alcohol is not permitted on Ellsworth. I've also been told its really cheap, somewhere around $ 45-50 bucks a night, and spacious.

#12 ·
JRMAC and I

JRMAC and I are heading to Sturgis and tent camp in Aunt Betty's yard. She lives on Lazelle, so front row seats at the circus. He will be 73 next year at the 73rd Sturgis. He didn't get a 72nd Sturgis shirt last year, so a return trip is mandatory.

I would like to head up through the Tetons, into Yellowstone, off to Red Lodge, MO, and head to Sturgis from there. Don't know if I am going to go back and hit the Chief Joseph hwy, or take the 212, or 90.

Or wait until SW is in Red Lodge, MO. :D

#19 ·
I would like to head up through the Tetons, into Yellowstone, off to Red Lodge, MO, and head to Sturgis from there. Don't know if I am going to go back and hit the Chief Joseph hwy, or take the 212, or 90.

Or wait until SW is in Red Lodge, MO. :D
Great idea! I did that area after Sturgis this year and wish I had spent more time there. The next time I do Sturgis I'll probably spend more time in Cody, WY vicinity and explore the Yellowstone area more. Chief Joseph Hwy., Beartooth, Red Lodge, MT area is beautiful.

#14 ·
Sturgis has turned into just another RUB run. Too many trailer to just outside town.
Then take the bike off and ride into town to a bar. Then say "Wow, what a great ride".
Look around at the bikes parked along the street. You will see a lot of "Show Bikes".
I would like to see the owners ride along beside me for a few days. The last time I went was 1997.
The fun is the ride, not the show.

#16 ·
I am in one way or another. I am certainly riding for Sturgis when I leave SWIII but how long I'll be there depends on how much time I need to get home. Oh and I will probably tent somewhere along the way and hotel where I can.

950 miles sounds like an easy day and a half ride to arrive midday in Sturgis at some point .

I can't speak for the Cyclops but i know he is in for the ride.

ohya this is gonna be fun, keep me posted:cool:

#17 ·
I've always wanted to see the Canadian Rockies! not sure if that's an option Quicksand.... but really I'm open for whatever... just as long as im back in Ohio on the 11th / 12th.

Maybe I should change the thread to the post Sharweek tour!!

Also please lets not start a Sturigs RUB debate... Personally I've never been and I would like to spend at least a day or 2 or 3 in that "region" of the US.

#18 ·
Come on up man. If you want to see some of the most beautiful mountain scenery, just come on up. Tours can be arranged, tour guide will be wearing a HD shirt from Italy no less and works for donuts. Bring a camera, bring a small tripod and be prepared to be gob smacked!

#23 · (Edited)
I like the way you think Bill. A ride up the left coast would be way cool, maybe we could find some salt water Koi :D. I saw a Strip to Chip ride the other day, Vegas to Sturgis. It went around through Durango, Utah etc...of course you could customize even that if you're California dreamin' cause Vegas is only about 270 miles from LA. There are so many variations and ways to go.

BTW speakin' of the Sedona Brotherhood perhaps we can persuade Hutmo to drop down to Sedona whilst on the Gypsy tour and visit the town from whence Harley got the idea for the color name of your bike. It's a cool town and only about 40 miles south of Flagstaff. In fact depending on his route I know of a tasty ride south of Winslow over Catus Mountain that brings you in Sedona from the south. Not a whole lot to see between Winslow and Flagstaff on Rt. 66 IMO unless you guys wanna check out the Meteor Crater....

http://www.meteorcrater.com/

....maybe we need another week L:DL

#28 ·
I have been thinking of a trip west next year and have also thought about sometime going to Sturgis, why not do both in same year and it might be nice to ride with some fellow forum members,

Dmize. what part of cleveland are you in, I am in Geauga county just east of cleveland.

#32 ·
I'm in for a big loop also. dmize, Rufus, and Quicksand have the right idea. Leaving Utah, I can imagine going through Vegas, on out to the Pacific and up the coastline, maybe back toward Salt Lake City and up to Yellowstone NP, hit the Black Hills and eventually make my way home. That'll top 8,000+ miles. My only true requirement is seeing some beautiful country with some great friend's. I think we can accomplish that. :D

#40 ·
I am booked for SWIII, but the wife wants to do Sturgis this year. My wife's bestie lives in Wisconsin and rides an Ultra Classic, so the wife will fly up and jump on the back of the Ultra for the ride to the Black Hills. I plan to meet them in Sturgis after SWIII, and I'm game for just about any route from shark week to Sturgis. I plan to cruise back to WI from Sturgis, so the wife can fly back home to VA while I beat her home on my shark. :) I am interested in hooking up with a group heading from SWIII to Sturgis via wherever and then from Sturgis to the Midwest.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.