Road Glide banner

East Coast to Sturgis I90 & I80 Advise

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  HDGLIDE 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I planning a run out to Sturgis next year from the East Coast and it looks like I’ll be on big flat top all the way (2400mi ea. way) What kind of advise can you give me about I90 & I80. Road congestion is my main concern. I’ve never ridden in heavy traffic congestion on a bike, we just don’t get that up north!! I’d like to ride about 500 – 600 miles a day if possible. Thanks for the input…

#2 ·
I ran 80 out to SWII this year. straight out 1100 miles!! some construction here and there but still steady flow no real congestion.ran 80+ all day long.just have plenty of $$$ on your EZ-PASS or in your pocket for tolls!! I think its like $15 for N.Y. another$10 for OHIO those are the big ones but thats a quick $50 round trip for just those 2 states!! 5-600 miles a day will be easy!!

#3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I’ve driven I90 to Buffalo in the truck, you’re right it’s expensive. I plan to get an EZee pass and mount it on the bike.

#5 · (Edited)
My advice....... take an extra day and do 2 lane blacktops. If you're going to do I-80 and I-90, you might as well trailer the bike.

Better scenery...... better food...... If you see something interesting, you can just stop to look without a semi trying to turn your bike into a hood ornament.

You won't have that beat up feeling when you get there.

You'll also burn through less fuel.

Sturgis 2010, I took I-80 and I-90 thinking I would get there sooner. Two day trip. Well, I did cut a couple hours off, but I had to take the next day after getting there to lay around and recover.

Sturgis 2012, I took all blacktop roads.... didn't touch an interstate the whole way from home to Rapid City, where we were staying. Two day trip. Took an extra 2 1/2 hours (big whoop).... but the next day, I rode to Wyoming just to do lunch, and it turned into a 350 mile day of exploring.

Did the same back road, 2 day route on the way home...... unloaded the bike in the garage, and went for a ride. :eek:

Use a GPS, set to avoid Interstates, and enjoy the adventure.

Just 2 cents ;)

#8 · (Edited)
If you have the time, take the Canadien route up around the Great Lakes. Avoiding the greater Northern Indianna/Illinois area will make it worthwhile in itself. Anywhere within 75 miles of Chicago really sucks. I lived there for almost 10 years and avoided it like the plague.

#10 · (Edited)
I presume you're talking about 80 across Iowa then north from Omaha on 29 to 90 across South Dakota. Be forewarned that 90 across SD is extraordinarily windy and not a pleasant run. I would urge you to consider riding through Nebraska and either picking up Highway 2 near Grand Island and riding through the Sandhills or taking Highway 75 up to Valentine. The Sandhills route will add about an extra hour to your travel time but Highway 2 is considered by many to be one of the most scenic highways in the country. I'd google both routes then decide. Safe travels..:)

#11 ·
Going to Sturgis

Take route 30. Catch some parts of the Lincoln Highway.

As for Rt 2 through the Sand Hills of Nebraska... YES

I presume you're talking about 80 across Iowa then north from Omaha on 29 to 90 across South Dakota. Be forewarned that 90 across SD is extraordinarily windy and not a pleasant run. I would urge you to consider riding through Nebraska and either picking up Highway 2 near Grand Island and riding through the Sandhills or taking Highway 75 up to Valentine
. The Sandhills route will add about an extra hour to your travel time but Highway 2 is considered by many to be one of the most scenic highways in the country. I'd google both routes then decide. Safe travels..:)

#13 ·
The two lane state highway I think its 40 south of I90 is a good road there will be some small towns you can stop and get gas and will take you into the bad lands.Going west you will be driving into the sun and there is almost no traffic and if you do get behind someone lots of long empty places to pass.Boss and I stayed in winter SD. new holiday inn there the next AM. the sun flowers were turned toward the sun the fields were amazing.I am -1 on Nebraska I-80 4 lane and most everyone doing 90+ lots of big rigs winds a bitch not relaxing and you think the sandhills or never going to end long distances between gas stops most of the guys around here do Nebraska once and avoid it.I have a lot of friends that go every year.Good luck

#15 · (Edited)
That would be SD 44. Great road with lots of scenery, once you get West of the Missouri River. Plenty of gas stops, and friendly people in the little towns. There's a little mom and pop eatery on Main St. in Platte, with good food and the owners will talk your ear off.

There are sections of SD 44 that let you know what they mean by "Big Sky Country"

Getting on SD 44 in Eastern South Dakota

Missouri River SD 44

Small detour on SD 18 ..... had to get a picture in front of ASSMAN'S

View of the Badlands from SD 44

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies, lots of ideas to think about before next year’s trip. I hate Interstate travel..especially with lots of trucks. Looks like there are plenty of other options. Thanks

#17 · (Edited)
Went by there a couple of years ago by mistake. I wasn't paying attention and missed a turn a few miles West of Winner. When I went by Assman's, I was laughing so hard, I didn't get a picture.

This year, I made sure to go that way again, camera ready. I even had the place set as a waypoint in my GPS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.