Road Glide banner

How best to protect mod investment?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  neverdone 
#1 ·
Last summer I had a little 'ol lady pull out right in front of me & there goes that bike. Despite how hard we fought to keep it from 'total' status, her insurance wouldn't budge.

I found this post regarding the best way to insure for your mods...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=27028

This has helped greatly, but my question is: what do you do when you're not at fault? I provided miles of upgrade documentation & could only get the at-fault party's insurance up a few grand.

I figured this time around I'd buy once & cry once - went the CVO route. But, even rehabbing & getting limited miles, I still can't deny the urge to mod. Don't want to dump a bunch of cash if it can be helped.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I put a $4000.00 binder on my insurance for all of the mods I have done. I am not an insurance agent, but I've used the same one for over 25yrs., and thats what he told me to do to protect the mods I've done on my bike. I hope this helps.:D

#3 ·
Thanks, kevinhd1690. I spoke with my insurance co, before posting the thread, and they seemed clueless - wanted to talk to underwriting first. Maybe your suggestion can point them in the right direction. Much obliged!

#7 ·
Im sorry but if they are clueless then you are with the wrong company. Find someone who has experience with motocycles.

I had a 6k addon with Gieco, when we switched to StateFarm last year they include all accessories (as long as you can prove purchase and have pictures of them installed).

I think I'm getting close to that 10k mark now..

#4 ·
Thats what I did I put a extra $10,000 on my accessories. After adding up all the receipts it still wasn't enough but it is better than what most insurance co offer if you don't get the writer.
The $10,000 writer makes it less likely for the bike to be totaled if you have an accident.

#8 ·
If your bike is totaled and another party is at fault, they are required to make you whole. You may want to get a lawyer if they aren't doing so. Documenting your losses is good, but some insurance companies are just crap to deal with on claims. SafeAuto was a nightmare after one of their illegal alien clients with no drivers license rear ended my Nomad at a red light - they wouldn't even talk to me until I contacted the state insurance commissioner.

#9 ·
I added almost $10,000 in accessory coverage with my insurance and it only added a few dollars a year. Do that and not sure about other states but here in Texas if you get into an accident that's not your fault you can claim through your own insurance. They in turn will claim from the insurance of the party at fault.

#10 ·
I have Progressive and they include $3k in accessories coverage with the policy and you can add additional amounts if you want. I just added some new bags, fender, etc. and upped it to $10k. Made my insurance go up by $4/mo.

#11 ·
Just like the wife's jewelry I added a rider to my policy for the extras. But that only covers me if I am at fault. I had the same issue when someone hit my Deuce. Insurance did not want to pay for mods. Lawyer got them to pay for the mods, loss of riding time and his fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.