Road Glide banner

The Ultra is tempting me

12K views 88 replies 32 participants last post by  GMAN SERGU 
#1 · (Edited)
GM of my local dealer called last night and let me know the BBP Ultra they had on order had just come in. My Custom is due to ship this Wednesday but had to go take a look anyway. Seeing it in person is making for a very tough decision. Ugh!!!

Update: Made my decision

#2 ·
It's all about "the look" AND how you'll use the bike. Gonna do a lot of long distance riding, especially 2 up? I'd buy the Ultra every time. Or do you mostly do solo day rides with maybe a couple multi-day trips per year? Then maybe the custom is right for you. It's all about YOUR priorities. I use my RGC mostly for day rides with maybe 3-4 multi-day rides per year. I liked the overall stance and the look of the RGC, not to mention the savings at purchase. I put a chopped tail pack on it and it does everything I want it to do in all circumstances. For others, the chopped TP isn't big enough, they do a lot more 2 up riding perhaps (gotta have room for the 6 pairs of the wife's shoes, etc.!) and they like the fact that they can buy it set up pretty darned well for touring right out of the box. I have to say that when/if I retire someday, I'll much more likely gravitate towards the Ultra as I'll have a lot more time for long trips. At that point it's all about function over form. Right now, I'm about 50/50 with the form vs function issue.

You'll have to do some soul searching about how you'll use your bike and which one fits those needs best. Then go back and ask yourself which version grabs you by the throat visually and makes you want to lay down your hard earned cash for it. Hopefully those two are the same bike for you. If so, you're decision is made.

#3 ·
Like mentioned before, its about what youll do with the bike. One can be striped down to your liking when the options arent needed and the other can be added to when the situation calls for it. When i bought my rg there wasnt the ultra model so it made it easy but i did buy a few detachable things i needed for when i take my long weekenders. I personally dont think youll be disappointed with either option you choose.

#4 ·
Oh trust me I know the arguments and I have been going through them in my head. TBH the look of the Custom "grabs" me more. I am a huge fan of the Street Glide look. But I keep weighting the pros and cons. One big reason I am switching back to the RG is for comfort after spinal surgery. The batwing buffeting kills the enjoyment. I got thinking that the taller suspension travel will make it even more comfortable. Lowers will be added to the Custom at delivery and a tour pak will come soon too. The custom was also ordered with ABS and cruise which the Ultra obviously comes standard with. Daymaker is getting added at delivery either way.

As far as use it will be mostly commuting to work and two up riding with my wife. No week long trips. Just a day to three day trips once in a while. Don't do the barhopping profiling rides. Our day rides are usually 200+ miles.

I do know I "want" the Custom more but the practical side keeps tugging at me and telling me that the Ultra already has the lowers and tour pak. And it doesn't look as "geezer" as an Ultra Classic. CB and intercom are moot. Wheels can be changed. The striping doesn't grab me either way. One part likes the pinstripes on the Custom a little more than the painted strips. But the other part likes the tank badge of the Ultra over the painted logo of the Custom.

This is gonna be a tough decision.

#16 ·
You are in a pickle and, here is my 2 cents. I use my bike much like you describe in the quote except my wife rides her own and I went with the ultra for some of the reasons you listed, long day rides,all winter we do a Polar Bear Grand Tour and the destinations each week are on average 250 miles round trip. The longer suspension travel coupled with the higher profile tires give a ride comfortable enough for these long cold days in the seat. The seat that comes stock on the ultra is a real good seat for the long days too. I have a riding buddy with more money than he needs, he has a custom and an ultra. The custom comes out for bike nights and 50-60 mile rides. The rest of the time he is on the ultra. Hope my ramblings help, let us know what you decide.

#6 ·
I was at the same decision point last month, cheaper in the long run to buy the Ultra and then QD the tourpak and get a low profile seat and windshield...........but the Custom won out for me because I already had the tourpak and I ride one up most of the time anyway. Can't wait to see the pictures of the winner! Here's my custom.

Attachments

#7 ·
If you are going to get a tour pac and lowers anyhow it will be cheaper to get the ultra in the long run. Now if you don't want abs the roadglide would be the better choice. I have the ultra and love it. I wear a helmet and so do my riders and they fit inside the tour pac. Nice not having to carry them around when you stop somewhere.

#9 ·
Tell me about it!!! I have had two bikes with detachable tour paks added as well as an Ultra Classic and EG Classic. I used the tour pak so much more than the bags. The bags were more for long term storage and the tour pak was for easy in and out like my jacket, helmet and lunch.

#11 ·
How big of guy or you I went from a 06 rk to the the rgu talked to a few guys who had rk that went to sg and were not happy with the ride do to the shorter shock they were 220 +_ like myself and didn't need the shorter shock I also like the slammed look of the custom but for two up and the deep tour pack or nice its the ultra for me but we do 175 miles in the evenings just for a dinner ride

#14 ·
The more you say, the more obvious it is that you need to go buy that Ultra and ride the snot out of it! Your wife will appreciate your decision.

#21 ·
Here is what I did. I was going to buy a rgc hands down had it picked out color and all with the custom look I was going for and all. My wife never rode so that's y I was going for a custom.well the day I went to buy it wife drove me there waiting for the sales man I said what is the hype about this ultra everyone talks about well at the same time the wife decides to sit on a ultra with me and her words were if u buy this I will ride I feel more comfortable on this. It was because of the tour pack speakers on her side she felt stable. Well I start no way u will never go and I will be stuck will this big boat. The sales man come and goes are u ready I said yes and he starts with if u will do 2 up ur better with a ultra the the rgc it's cheaper to take stuff off than to add on. Price was not that much more to forget it. Well first weekend I had the bike the wife and I put 550 miles and she rode until we had our baby girl. She rides here and there now less because of the baby but now I figured that I will turn my ultra into a rgc when riding solo. Between rear lower shocks,detach tour pack and lowers it will be about 1k. If I had gotten the RGU to add the all that stuff it would double maybe more. So go with the ultra. But again you won't go wrong either way

#23 ·
Love my RGC two years later.....I did the same however, adding the tourpak and lowers. No regret here

#27 ·
Been there with the beers in my saddle bag...

Love the RGU. I take it everywhere, short runs long runs. I was going from a Muscle to a RGU.

I got use to the trunk on other bikes and know I won't remove it. Also liked the extra space for speakers besides saddle bags and lowers. I also liked the paint job..

Did you ever make a decision on what you were getting?

#28 ·
Still up in the air. The Ultra is on hold for me until I decide and the Custom is due to ship on Wednesday. I keep on going back and forth. But the bigger part of me still gravitates to the Custom. It is my inner child and love for all things sporty and hot rod me thinks. Thinking I may just go ahead and utilize my at purchase discount and order a Chopped Tour Pak and be done with it.

#36 ·
Mine is an 07 which the previous owner ( a member here) did a fantastic job of customizing it. He painted the inner fairing, Added the tour pak, Big bore kit and cams etc. I had been asked more than once if it was a new bike, or a CVO (60,000 on it now,)

I plan on adding lowers at some point myself.

Anyhow my point is the only thing missing is the communication port which I have no need for as I have a Scala system.

As others have said., even though they have detachable tour paks they never take them off. I keep 2 helmets in mine at all times and sure makes it easy to shop and stuff. I keep my rain gear and tools in the saddle bags.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the cruise control. Don't the new Ultras have it as standard and it is optional on the Custom? that may be worth considering as it is a pricy option I believe.

So if it were me I would buy the Ultra and strip it down if needed. I plan on keeping this one for 2 more years until it and my truck are paid off then I may look again but it will be an Ultra I look at.

I did have a Custom before this one and absolutely loved it too though but this is more convenient I swore that I would be buried with that one until I found this one...

#39 ·
My 2012 Ultra is a "Geezer Pleaser" and suits me just fine-it's a touring bike and the TourPak, saddlebags, lowers, bells and whistles kinda belong on it. I mostly ride solo and local with a couple notable long rides so far (2500 and 5500 miles.) I never even considered taking the TourPak/pizzabox off-it readily hauls a small pizza, laptop, helmet, etc. Both the saddlebags and the Tourpak are about half full (tools, qt. oil, phone charger, water, cleaning stuff/towels, hats, etc.,) even when riding local. Also got Saddlemen luggage (big bag + small attachable roll bag-great stuff,) for travel. Really like cruise control out on the road, and ABS is peace of mind. The only thing I half-regret is buying the Harbor Freight trailer, a hitch, and wiring (I console myself with the fact that I went cheapo on the trailer :D). I really don't need it-I'm not a camper, it takes a little fun out of riding when you have an additional concern back there, and I only really used it once, to pull beer/water coolers to Rolling Thunder in D.C. for American Legion Rider friends. (Didn't even use it on road trips.)

Back to your question--RGC vs. RGU. I'm confident I made the right call on mine, and you will, too. Either way, you're riding in First Class.:)

#40 ·
I love my Ultra, I use one side box for tools and emergency stuff including rain gear so I do no have to think about it. The other box is empty for liner with clothes if needed or some tools for balance. The back has my stuff, anything I need handy, great for groceries so I do not have to take the cage:) bottom line I like the room and options, also suspension is higher and little softer for a bad back. My wife drives 2012 Street Glide and I like but my Ultra is lot more comfortable. My 2 cents:)

#41 · (Edited)
I don't know but I think my Ultra is cool and doesn't have what you guys call the Geezer factor, these pics were before I even added all the Willie G skulls and Heritage Style bars, oh the wife test rode a Custom and Ultra with me and was definitely more comfortable on the Ultra. Less money making your Ultra into a transformer than adding stuff I think. Don't ypu think we look cool for 50. LOL

#43 ·
I test rode an Ultra yesterday and it got me off of my CVO lol.

I'm not that old, but the years of wear and tear from work and playing football when I was younger are catching up to me, and my ass said I'm not getting back on the CVO. I was at a dealer 3.5 hours from my house and had stopped in for a t-shirt and poker chip.

Then I saw the RG Ultra with a chromed out front end and they put Agitators on it with a 200 rear tire. Went for a ride and that was all she wrote. 3.5 hours of smiles coming home, and once I got home and took the wife for a ride she wasn't pissed anymore. :D

It's a personal decision, my advice would be ride both back to back and see what "YOU" like best.

When I had my old Ultra Limited, my TP never came off. I used it too much, and couldn't justify the expense and hassle of making it removable. I love to ride and for me now it's about being comfortable. Now I have an excuse to go back to the Dragon because the new bike needs to go on it, lol.

Good luck with your decision. I was all smiles coming home last night. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.