Baggershield Review - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Hangaround

Default Baggershield Review

While I was out in Sturgis, I saw quite a few RGs, and really liked the look of the shorter windshields, so after getting back, decided I'd start looking for a replacement. Looking through the forums here, saw BaggerShield referenced several times, and after looking at their site for the options, read through some of the comments/reviews here and noticed that their location was right across town.

Since it was close, I figured I'd like to take a look at one of them before buying, so I pinged Spencer with an IM that he got back to a short while later that same day. Ended up swinging out to the shop a couple days later, liked what I saw and bought one of the 10.5/17.25s on the spot. Admittedly, my lunch break ended up being a bit longer than I'd intended, but that's because Spencer (and a couple other guys at the shop, sorry, didn't get their names) were very helpful and actually got the thing installed for me while I was there, showing me a couple of the tricks for dealing with RG windshields and hands-on with the screen itself. Talk about great customer service, these guys definitely practice it.

As to the actual windshield, I love it. Mostly I've had it in the 10.5 position for the around the town riding, which was the intent. Love the appearance with the lower smoked shield. I definitely get more wind rush noise at highway speed, but with the shield being 5.5 inches lower than my stock shield, that's pretty much expected, really, and I don't notice the feel of the wind hitting me in the face, just the sound, so it's not like my head is getting bounced all over at all.

I did flip it back over to the 17.25 for some riding over the weekend because I was planning on doing this review, and I'll say it's at least as good in that position as the stock shield is. It's probably actually a bit more effective than the stock unit, but since the stock screen was tall enough for me to begin with (I've got the stock seat for a 2008 FLTR Anniversary Edition, and I'm 5-9 or so with a 32 inch inseam.), I can't say I actually notice a difference.

As far as the material, I both love the look of the smoked lower portion with the top half tucked behind it for around town riding, and the added stiffness over the stock Lexan shield. The BaggerShield is aircraft-grade Acrylic, and a little thicker too, so it's nice and stiff and doesn't bounce quite as much at highway speed. It still flexes a little, but nowhere near as much as the stock shield did.

Bottom line? Great product. I get both the dark short screen for around town that I wanted, and the ability to have a full touring height screen for longer road trips, and it only take a couple minutes to swap configurations. Also, great customer service and a very reasonable price (especially with the discount from having contacted them through the roadglide.org forum).

Already recommended it to the other RG rider in the group I ride with regularly, and would similarly recommend one to anyone looking for a replacement for a stock windshield.

Last edited by steveamsp; 09-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

Great write up... I like mine as well. Spence definitely provides great customer service.

Rowdy

Sent from my IPhone cuz I am out end about.
Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Life Member

Amen to that bro! I agree 100%.

One note: during the cooler weather... #1) It takes a minute or so longer for the rubber grommet to retract enough so the clear shield can be removed. #2) Spencer will cut your clear shield if you need and ship it back to you for short money.

The 17.5" full height is 14" on a 11 RGU. Stock shield's height measures 13 5/8".

Maybe, Spencer will consider custom sizes?

I would like to have a larger smoke half by (2 1/2"). The 10.5 measures 9" center top ledge of the speedo cluster. 11 1/2" would protect me much better at higher speeds without flipping up the clear shield. (LAZY...) Once the weather changes my shield will remain at full height for sure.

I give the Baggershield an A plus

Your review is spot on... great shield
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I have two Baggershields, one on my RG and one on my Ultra classic. I also agree, what an outstanding product! Post some pics if you have a chance, we'd love to see it.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Hangaround

Here's a few with the shield in the short configuration. It's going to be a bit chilly tomorrow, so I'll be flipping it up tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110912_182021.jpg (98.5 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110912_182058.jpg (93.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Life Member

I love mine also as does the wife for touring. +1 on spencer and customer service.

Also if you want a a shorter 17.5 Spencer can cut down the upper half to whatever you want for $20 inc. shipping. If you choose to do that you can also buy another upper half to give you 3 configs. Again great product great service.

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Hangaround

A couple more shots. The first was part of the set I did earlier, the other one is the row of Harleys at work. Not sure where the Dyna is today, though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110912_182002.jpg (97.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110913_132800.jpg (95.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Hangaround

And finally, pics with the top portion in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110913_182546.jpg (97.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110913_182613.jpg (96.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Default I'm curious

after looking at your pictures. What have you got on your bike for lowers?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by philinms View Post
after looking at your pictures. What have you got on your bike for lowers?
I was wondering if someone was going to ask about those. They're custom made. One of the guys I ride with that has a Road Glide does upholstery work. The lowers in the pics are actually a mesh (I've got a set of solid vinyl ones as well).

They let air through at low speeds, act basically solid above 30 MPH or so, and do wonders for stopping bugs, rocks, etc from getting through, will still allowing airflow at low speeds and a little air coming through at highway speeds.

Last I talked to him, he was thinking about a new setup that's the mesh but with a double layer vinyl insert held in place with velcro. Will be interesting to see how that works.