Questions - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Grey beard

Question Questions

Progressive 940 vs. HD Premium Ride hand Adj.
I know everyone is different and each has his or her own style of riding, however I know only what I read when it comes to suspension. I am loosing pressure in my shocks when my ride sits. and lately is been sitting awhile. In saying that I never really cared for the stock air ones on my 2010. Roads are pretty good out here in AZ. but up in the high country they get rough and I like riding the switchbacks, BUTT when I hit a cattle guard IT HURTS.
I'd like some input (Pros. & Cons.) with these 2. I'm trying to keep costs down, and want to get the best bang (or lack there of) for my bucks. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM

I have been very happy with the 940's. They had been on for about 6500 miles on a 2011 RGU. They are a little rougher than the stock air shocks, but not uncomfortable by any means. You know they lower the bike by an inch. Also, very easy to adjust if you ride with a passenger. If you do this I would suggest lowering the front at the same time. I installed the cartridge inserts on the front. Sorry, I had not tried the HD shocks.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Default shocks

i have the harley shocks,and i have no problem with them.way better than air.wanted the 940s,little to pricey for me.im pretty lucky thou i get parts at dealer cost
Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Grey beard

I ran the 940's on my last bike and was very happy with them , you can get them from phat performance for $524.95 , depending on your budget the #2-#2 Ohlins from motorcyclemetals will run you around $540 disounted if you are a hdforums member
2011 FLTRX 103 Power Pak , T man 600 cams , Baisley Heads , Zipper's air cleaner, TTS tuner , Dragula pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers/tweeter grills , custom Mustang Seat, LRS 12" , HID Head Lights , Dakota Digital Gauges , BR 1 1/2" Sweeping Beater Bars , True Track Stabilizer, JRi shocks / Ohlins forks, Jagg Fan Assisted 10 row oil cooler & so much more TJ Sunny Florida
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Hangaround

These guys are in Mesa, AZ, don't know anything about them more than what I have read...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Life Member

Progressive is the way to go. Thats what they do ,make suspensions. They pay for them selfs over the long run.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Hangaround

I have the hd premium. Better handling. In general the ride is nice. I like how easy they are to adjust. But they bottom out badly for me when I hit the concrete lip on overpasses. I have been considering alternatives. I've been leaning towards a 13" shock for the added travel.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM

U can't go wrong with ohlins or progressive. I had ohlins on my sports bikes. U get what u pay for
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Life Member

Am I missing something. I understand your problem Frodoe, you need a replacement for leaky shocks. My question is why a number of people change out their rear shocks on the RGC? Mine seem to do the job just fine. Is it a quality issue with the stock shock? Or do some people just have a "princess and the pea" a$$. I'm not trying to insult anyone just trying to figure out if I'm just one of the luck few with good shocks.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Life Member

Frodoe,

Maybe you could pick up someone's take-offs for cheap if the stock ones were originally doing the job. I can think of a lot of things I could spend $500+ on than high dollar shocks. JMHO